Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pic du Midi and Cirque du Gavarnie

Options
  • 07-03-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭

We'll be in the Pyrenees for a couple of days this summer and are interested in doing a few one-day hikes.
    Has anyone done either of these?
    The Pic looks like a full day 900m gain over scorched, exposed ground , whereas the Cirque seems to be forests, waterfalls and butterflies and as hard as we want it to be

If you walk all the way to the top of Pic du Midi (no cable car), can you still access the observatory/museum at the top?
    We don't mind paying, just loathe to take a cable car to the top of a mountain in summer.

Anyone have any campsite recommendations in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭josip

! week to go before the off.
    Since I posted this question, I've been unable to get an answer from the observatory or tourist offices in the region.
    My hiking group will be mightily annoyed with me if after going 900m vertically, we can't get in.
    Does anyone know of UK walking/hiking forums where I can post the question without having 25 posts to my name?

Tx.

have you tried sending them an email? or maybe just ring them?

http://picdumidi.com/en/footer/contact-us

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭josip

have you tried sending them an email? or maybe just ring them?

http://picdumidi.com/en/footer/contact-us

I sent them a couple of emails but no reply. I'm fairly deaf and the only thing in worse condition than my hearing is my French so calling them wasn't an option.

Lourdes tourist office have since come back to me to say hikers can get access vi a gate for €18.
    Some French hiking blogs report that because very few look for access on foot, the gate bell is sometimes unanswered.
    There is a very good, uncrowded viewing platform just for hikers though.

There is a group on Facebook called "Alpine Climbing", might be worth posting a question there

Advertisement