Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Q on Rugby contracts in Ireland with provinces and Irfu

• 27-06-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Quick few questions on rugby contracts in Ireland-

I understand there are centrally contracted players by the irfu and the individual provinces but how are they split? Does the irfu tell centrally contracted players who they have to play for?

Does the irfu have a say on who goes to which province even though there are contracting with the player?

Is there a cap on foreign players at each province?

Will Ulster suffer because of Brexit or are all contracts routed through Dublin or the irfu so they pay in euro?

Do the provinces have to get sanction from the irfu to contract a player?

Do foreign players have hurdles to over come like they do in soccer in the U.K. in terms of playing for the international team?

Is there a salary cap/ struture for the provinces or a squad limit?

Just interested in views on this. Thanks

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

M007 wrote: »
    Quick few questions on rugby contracts in Ireland-

I understand there are centrally contracted players by the irfu and the individual provinces but how are they split? Does the irfu tell centrally contracted players who they have to play for?

Theoretically the IRFU can tell centrally contracted players where they are playing, but in reality they won't (and haven't) send a centrally contracted player anywhere but his own province.

The number of central contracts is relatively low, only the most important players get them and the majority of the time they also happen to be the best players at their province.

Does the irfu have a say on who goes to which province even though there are contracting with the player?
    Yes.

Is there a cap on foreign players at each province?
    Yes, but it is not a arbitrary number or rule. They will allow foreign signings so long as they don't perceive it to be to the detriment of an Irish player.

Will Ulster suffer because of Brexit or are all contracts routed through Dublin or the irfu so they pay in euro?
    Hard to know. I imagine all is routed through Dublin but I don't know if they are paid in euro or sterling.

Do the provinces have to get sanction from the irfu to contract a player?
    An Irish player? I doubt they have to go to explain every single contract to D4 but they would surely get sign off from the IRFU for new contracts. Most of the time it's just a rubber stamping exercise but at times there'll be scrutiny (like offering an old player a long contract).

Do foreign players have hurdles to over come like they do in soccer in the U.K. in terms of playing for the international team?
    Have to live in Ireland for 3 years continuously and have never been capped for any other country's first or second team.

Is there a salary cap/ struture for the provinces or a squad limit?
    No salary cap, no squad limit.

Just interested in views on this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Thanks for reply

Sorry what I meant re foreign players was would they have to internationals in their home country before they could come here to play?

Do the players Irish contracted players in Ulster pay their taxes up there or via companies down here ?? Do they pay any taxes as sports stars even?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thanks for reply

Sorry what I meant re foreign players was would they have to internationals in their home country before they could come here to play?

Do the players Irish contracted players in Ulster pay their taxes up there or via companies down here ?? Do they pay any taxes as sports stars even?

Players would pay taxes in their country of residence.

Rugby unlike soccer is played in a relatively small number of countries. Non EU players have to get visas. Im not sure what the criteria are however most of our signings would have passports from South Africa or the Pacific Islands (Kolpak agreement) or an EU country through grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think you are referring to visa requirements in the UK (and prob many other EU countries also) with regards to a player getting a work permit. This has nothing to do with the the sports governing body, but its a requirement in order to get a visa which in other circumstances may not be available.

I don't know what the rules in Ireland are regarding visas, but the IRFU don't have any scrutiny in allowing a player play here (other than whats been mentioned above re: impacting home grown talent) provided they are legally allowed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

awec wrote: »
    Yes, but it is not a arbitrary number or rule. They will allow foreign signings so long as they don't perceive it to be to the detriment of an Irish player.

I thought each province was limited to 4 non-Irish eligible players and allowed a 5th non-Irish qualified player to develop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Maguined wrote: »
    I thought each province was limited to 4 non-Irish eligible players and allowed a 5th non-Irish qualified player to develop?

The IRFU has said that but it has been breached in the past and I'm sure will again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

what would the average salary of a professional in Connaught - making the first team

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The IRFU has said that but it has been breached in the past and I'm sure will again in the future.

The IRFU unlike the Welsh Union don't make hard and fast rules so they don't end up painting themselves into a corner. Playing outside Ireland means you'll not be considered for the international team except when it doesn't. The provincial sides can only have so many NIQ except when they have more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Tomjim wrote: »
    what would the average salary of a professional in Connaught - making the first team

Connaught? Never hear of them

Advertisement