Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling Banter Page and Buff Egan Discussion

• 26-06-2017 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Just a forum to discuss the Hurling Banter Page on Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram. It is a topic most Hurling people love to talk about, so hopefully we can have a laugh. If Buff wants to join, we would happily take you, ignore the haters chief. Hail Hail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The facebook page is good

But the snapchat is terrible...i unfollowed it

Takes himself waaay too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CK22

Yeah i can agree with that. He's funny on Snapchat, but at times it can be too much. You would wonder if he actually watches the games at all, judging by the time he spends looking at the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He's a true hurling man and fair play too him for travelling almost every weekend too games all over the country

Never met the man but he sounds really sound. Would be nice if he appeared on the Sunday game or They do a feature on him on that GAA magazine programme

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

The Kilgarvan man would do UNTOLD work on The Sunday Game...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

I follow him on Shnapchat, he is a fair annoying dope but good to watch when he gets angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Never met the man but he sounds really sound. Would be nice if he appeared on the Sunday game

Next level jumping the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭spideyman92

The facebook page is good

But the snapchat is terrible...i unfollowed it

Takes himself waaay too serious

Was sitting near him at the Cork + Waterford game behind the Waterford dugout. Got fairly annoying because he had the primary games kids shouting at him to get his attention which he completely ignored for the most part until half time and throughout the game he'd do his updates but balls them up and have to redo them 3/4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

The man is a fool.

Where to start. Thinks he's from Clare for some reason.

Claims to do it for the ''love'' of it, but is always wanting recognition

Talks about other pages taking his content ie Pundit Arena yet most of his is lifted from somewhere else.

Blocks, deletes etc anyone who disagrees with him.

Has a huge ego for someone who has no reason to have one.

Also has a huge sense of self entitlement. Before the 2013 All Ireland final his club in Kerry didn't have any tickets for the game. He then said he'd never play for them again as they didn't give him the ticket he was entitled to!

As someone else has said i dont know how he has time to watch games as he's more worried about gettting selfies etc

He's from kerry?? :confused:

Like the FB is quite good for scores/quick run down of games etc
    And sharing some good pics etc (I'd be a fan of photigralhy tbf though)

He deos seem to have a grá for the game.....but going snapchat also sound of his voice (maybe he's changed since I unfollowed )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

cms88 wrote: »
    The man is a fool.

Talks about other pages taking his content ie Pundit Arena yet most of his is lifted from somewhere else.

Also has a huge sense of self entitlement. Before the 2013 All Ireland final his club in Kerry didn't have any tickets for the game. He then said he'd never play for them again as they didn't give him the ticket he was entitled to!

As someone else has said i dont know how he has time to watch games as he's more worried about gettting selfies etc

Don't know why anyone would follow him, he's clearly not the full shilling. He was sitting near me at the Harty Cup final, shocking eejit.

• Advertisement

He's from kerry?? :confused:

Like the FB is quite good for scores/quick run down of games etc
    And sharing some good pics etc (I'd be a fan of photigralhy tbf though)

He deos seem to have a grá for the game.....but going snapchat also sound of his voice (maybe he's changed since I unfollowed )

Ya from Kilgarvan. For some unknown reason he thinks he's from Clare. Although i think most people now know he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The man is a fool.

He has a huge following with teenage hurlers/footballers and they seem to great a great kick out of him,What harm is he doing only blogging about the sport he loves.

1000's of people blog about their passion,So why not him.

One thing is frightening is the amount of online bullying that he receives,It's totally unfair and is a small insight into the social media era our children are growing up in

Ya from Kilgarvan. For some unknown reason he thinks he's from Clare. Although i think most people now know he's not.

Tbf I always assumed he was from clare

When it started it was always up the banner etc ****e all over the page

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Prop Joe wrote:
    One thing is frightening is the amount of online bullying that he receives,It's totally unfair and is a small insight into the social media era our children are growing up in

I was only speaking about this to my little brother last week. He posts screenshots of some of the stuff said to him and it's scary young people can think it's ok to say that to someone. Personally think he's harmless and just loves hurling(and the mini-celeb status)

You'd have to wonder if it is all put on. Like he's either the stupidest man out there, or he's the smartest.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    He has a huge following with teenage hurlers/footballers and they seem to great a great kick out of him,What harm is he doing only blogging about the sport he loves.

1000's of people blog about their passion,So why not him.

I've no problem with what he's doing, it's is attitude i have a problem with.

His consent looking for attention and recognition being the main thing. Keeping in mind he claims to be doing it for the ''love'' of it.

As for the bullying, he give it out just as much but tries to play the victim all the time. Most of it also comes from the fact that anyone who has a different opinion from his gets a abuse and he then can't take it after.

Thinks the world is against him all th time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Anyone who runs a social media page or account with the word "banter" in it is automatically a d!ckhead as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Strikes me as a decent lad who is a bit of an easy target for more "aloof" types who rip the piss out of him to rise him, and unfortunately he takes the bait too easily.

He clearly loves the game and I like the player profiles for lads from lesser powers in hurling. He might take himself a bit seriously, but then again, so do people who abuse him for it.

Shocked he's actually a Kerryman though! That's just strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I've been following his FB page for a few years and also recently his Snapchat and he really rose to fame when Clare won the Hurling in 2013, apparently he had a lucky pair of shoes which never lost a game. He really calls it like it is and he has grown a cult following. For a while he was doing some great cooking videos also and the topics would switch between Hurling and Cooking.

I met him at the Ploughing match last year and he was sound enough to pose for a photo also. He is from Clare but has been living in Kerry for a while as far as I understand about him and has given Kerry Hurling a nice bit of coverage also.

I was over at a mates place recently during the fine weather and his missus was watering her flowers and starting talking to the flowers and tellling them to "soak it in Mann" :D:D I find him much more entertaining and informative than that Rory Storys lad, Jesus I can't stand him and unfollowed him fairly fast, its one of the best GAA pages I seen.

Doltanian wrote: »
    I've been following his FB page for a few years and also recently his Snapchat and he really rose to fame when Clare won the Hurling in 2013, apparently he had a lucky pair of shoes which never lost a game. He really calls it like it is and he has grown a cult following. For a while he was doing some great cooking videos also and the topics would switch between Hurling and Cooking.

I met him at the Ploughing match last year and he was sound enough to pose for a photo also. He is from Clare but has been living in Kerry for a while as far as I understand about him and has given Kerry Hurling a nice bit of coverage also.

I was over at a mates place recently during the fine weather and his missus was watering her flowers and starting talking to the flowers and tellling them to "soak it in Mann" :D:D I find him much more entertaining and informative than that Rory Storys lad, Jesus I can't stand him and unfollowed him fairly fast, its one of the best GAA pages I seen.

He's never even lived in Clare let alone from there. Has lived in Kerry his whole life.

The Clare thing has died down with him a lot lately i've seen

• Advertisement

On the whole origin story, he is from Kerry, but Davy was always his favourite hurler and I think that's why he followed Clare. I suppose if you are from Kerry and love hurling, you might as well have a bigger team to follow for the summer. I'd say that because of Davy then, he just exaggerated the Clare thing and jumped on their success, Tony Kelly etc. You notice he rarely mentions Kelly or Clare as much as he did earlier. I think these days, he's evolved into some kind of maverick for the little teams, and he see's himself as that guy who stands up for the little guy rather than 'fancy dans' like Rory O'Connor and other GAA pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

A bit strange that he himself or anyone else would compare him to Rory's Stories. One is a Facebook and Snapchat blogger, the other makes comedy sketches which are loosely based on GAA. They are not the same type of thing.

On Buff supporting Clare, as said above he simply supports them. He doesn't think he's from Clare and he's never said he's from Clare.

He takes himself way too seriously and thinks he's a lot more significant than he is. He's done well to get such a following to be fair, but I'm not sure he realises at lot of people are laughing at him and not with him.

Django99 wrote: »
    A bit strange that he himself or anyone else would compare him to Rory's Stories. One is a Facebook and Snapchat blogger, the other makes comedy sketches which are loosely based on GAA. They are not the same type of thing.

On Buff supporting Clare, as said above he simply supports them. He doesn't think he's from Clare and he's never said he's from Clare.

He takes himself way too seriously and thinks he's a lot more significant than he is. He's done well to get such a following to be fair, but I'm not sure he realises at lot of people are laughing at him and not with him.

He differently was at one point trying to make out he was from Clare.

The ''fancy dans'' comments are very annoying to be fair. He was on a rant about the ''Humans of the GAA'' page lately. as well.

Like i've said he has a huge ego and thinks of himself as a journalist, yet they are others he has a go at because they get paid ''big wages'' or something along those lines. If i remember right he once claimed he's be better than any of them. When i pointed out that he wouldn't be ab;e to take other peoples work and claim it as his own wel we all know what happened next.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He must have a very well job or is extremely well off to be able to go away almost very weekend too matches ???

Its Cool to be able to do that though. I'm not sure does he drink

Lads do we see how much attention he has got in the last 48hours. Pundit Arena wrote an article about him there today. I think his Snapchat rant tonight has actually won him a few more followers. I think he's about to go national. Hail Hail 👌ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Yeah buff has gone national. His coverage of the munster minor matches was second to none. Fair play to him for going to 3 inter county games over the weekend. Slept in his car Saturday night too. His popularity is going from strength to strength. Well deserved.

He deserves 2 claps and a Ric Flair... WOOOI!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Yeah buff has gone national. His coverage of the munster minor matches was second to none. Fair play to him for going to 3 inter county games over the weekend. Slept in his car Saturday night too. His popularity is going from strength to strength. Well deserved.

He deserves 2 claps and a Ric Flair... WOOOI!

Apparently some scumbag in Kilkenny just walked up and knee'd him into the stomach and Buff brushed it off like as if it was a shoulder in a Hurling Match; he didn't rise to the Bait and just continued on with his passion of Hurling like a true gent. That scummer who did that should be reported for assault and prosecuted. And then after all the day's matches and reporting his car broke down on the Motorway on the way home. Poor lad can't catch a break.

Fair play to the man tonight actually. Those Cork Tipp updates were spot on, an you can see how popular he is. Let him have the Wifi code Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

buffs a legend - ye he can be a bit ott at times but sure what harm
    if you dont like him dont follow him
    hes doing something nobody has really done before
    dont get all the hate , hes harmless and doesnt deserve the abuse he gets
    i hope he gets a good break from all this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The amount of abuse he gets is really sad to see. If you don't like him don't follow his page, no need to insult him. Even some posts here in a "discussion" thread have been quite offensive and hopefully the mods will take action. This is an ordinary person we're talking about. I don't understand why people are so bothered about his passion for Clare, or when many on his page call him out for being biased as if he is a professional GAA reporter. Get over it, some people are so precious.

Advertisement