Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Groupon Craft Beer deal

• 23-06-2017 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I see Groupon are running a craft beer deal, 12 different bottles for 29.99.

However, be careful if you're interested in buying it. The bottles in the pictures don't seem to correspond in any way with the list of bottles actually included in the deal. There's 2 different photos where the bottles and brands are visible. I haven't checked every one, but I've checked about 6 of the bottles and none of them appear in the actual list of beers you'll receive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is a risk of this being seized. A guy I know got wine via groupon and had to pay excise to get it.

Some people talk as though they might just destroy it, not sure if that happens, but if excise and VAT is applied its likely cheaper to get it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Seems expensive compared to buying them in shops here?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

TheDriver wrote: »
    Seems expensive compared to buying them in shops here?

Oh yeah. I don't think it was a great deal to be honest. Just pointing out the underhandedness in case anyone was thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got this at Christmas and its on again...
    https://www.groupon.ie/deals/24-pack-of-german-beers-in-500ml-cans

30 euro to the door for 24 german beers. mostly above average but great to try out at the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't trust German cans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RasTa wrote: »

Don't trust groupon to have vetted their tax evading partners...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

What's wrong with German cans?

I've gotten this offer before (or similar) a few times and it's generally pretty good. A nice mix of beers with some very decent Marzen, Zwickels, Dunkels, Helles etc. An odd stinker but definitely worth a punt at that price.

Cheapness, don't Germans re-use their bottles anyway.

I checked the first 4 beers on ratebeer and all terrible

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

None of them are imperial stouts or double IPAs, then? :eek:

They were all in German

• Advertisement

i got this at Christmas.. as i said nothing great a lot of standard german stuff to your door for 1.25 a can. mix of stuff beeradvocate shows them 3/5 ratings. worth a pop imho so i popped again for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Cheapness, don't Germans re-use their bottles anyway.

Okay.... Best you stay well clear so on those grounds.
    IMO, there's nothing wrong with cans (whether German or not), nothing wrong with reusing bottles, and I'm definitely not against good value beer.

Its 24 cans of German beer for cheap. Don't expect to get NE IPAs or kettle sours. It's boring old Reinheitsgebot touting German beer, some of it quite nice.

Not expecting that style. I like the good German beer but that stuff looks and reviews like something you would see in Aldi

24 cans arrived. Not as good as Christmas. 7 beers either 2,3,4 of each. Tried 2... a Hellas and a dunkel. Both average and with 2 more of each left not exactly salivating. Also arrived in plain brown box vs advent calendar box last time.
    Still ok for sampling generic German beer cheap and delivered to the door

Advertisement