Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you goin' city boy? - the off topic and chat thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

got a brand new regatta jacket in a charity shop in Edinburgh today for £2.99, dont htink its ever even been worn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

got a brand new regatta jacket in a charity shop in Edinburgh today for £2.99, dont htink its ever even been worn.

You can never have too many outdoor jackets :D

Funny thing with the charity shop I get a lot of really good stuff is that they put the same dumb price on every outdoor jacket.

I recently got a €600 gortex The North Face jacket hardly if ever worn for €25 and I noticed that the also have a nice looking Tresspass jacket for €25.

One was too cheap the other way too expensive.

£2.99 was definitely a good deal.

Hows it going lads. Amazed at how many outdoor shops there are in edinburgh. Can anyone reccomend good ones in dublin??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

53 Degrees North, The Great Outdoors, Cotswold Outdoors, Regatta, Trespass, Snow & Rock. Depends on your budget and what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I got a Regatta fleece in Ted Johnson's, Naas, today for 25 Euros.

• Advertisement

Noticed that The Great Outdoors in the UK had a 60% off (Black Friday?) sale recently. Just shows what their crappy stuff is really worth.

How are ye liking the weather?.

How are ye liking the weather?.

Just back in from taking the dogs for a walk - it was a short walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Doing the snow dance all day trying to get it to come down, even left the car at home today and took the jeep just in case. rained all day.....

aaakev wrote: »
    Doing the snow dance all day trying to get it to come down, even left the car at home today and took the jeep just in case. rained all day.....

Yeah piss and wind on the South Coast all day. It went very cold very quickly last night and water outside was frozen over by 9pm but come this morning temp had gone up the ice was gone and the rain was here. Felt very cold in the East wind.

• Advertisement

Pretty much the same in kildare man, i just want it to snow....

aaakev wrote: »
    Pretty much the same in kildare man, i just want it to snow....

Im a carbury man.

Decided i was gonna go to the snow id it wasn't coming to me, went hunting up in a spot i have near Sally gap yesterday morning about 6. Decent hike in the snow, no shots fired but took a spin up the gap a bit so was a good morning. Roads are terrible up there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Wilderness training helped young sisters survive 44 hours in woods

26missing.jpg
    Wilderness training may have played a role in the survival of two sisters who were found safe after spending 44 hours in California woods, police say.

Caroline (5) and Leia Carrico (8) were found on Sunday less than 3km from their home in Humboldt County, according to County Sheriff William Honsal.

They were found "safe and sound" on Sunday morning by a fire captain and firefighter who had followed the girls' boot tracks, Mr Honsal said.

"This is an absolute miracle," he said.

Although the girls were dehydrated and cold, they were uninjured and "in good spirits", Mr Honsal said.

He said the first responders provided them with fresh warm clothes and water.

He said the girls were trained in outdoor survival through their local 4-H club (youth organisation) and that authorities believed that helped them.

They also were wearing boots and had eaten granola bars at some point while they were missing, he said.

"To have a positive outcome like this is just absolutely amazing," Mr Honsal said.

Using helicopters and tracking dogs, dozens of police and rescue personnel combed a vast and rugged rural area in the frantic search for the sisters.

The girls had last been seen around 2.30pm on Friday outside their home in Benbow, a small community about 320 kilometres north-west of Sacramento.

The searchers included National Guard members from Fresno and the US Coast Guard, which provided one of its helicopters on top of a Black Hawk helicopter also being used.

Rescuers were hopeful about finding the girls on Saturday after they came across prints from the girls' rubber boots and wrappers from the granola bars, Lieutenant Mike Fridley said.

"The wrappers showed us a direction from where they started to where the wrappers ended up at," Mr Fridley added.

He said that he was the one who got to call the girls' mother to say that her daughters were alive.

"She melted on the phone, we had to hang up because she couldn't talk," he said.

Mr Honsal described the search area as vast, rugged and rural.

He said that the conditions were cold and sporadically rainy.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/wilderness-training-helped-young-sisters-survive-44-hours-in-woods-37879515.html

How are ye all getting on lads?

Said I'd post on here after a few years away from the forum

Caught out by last night's storm. Had zero preparation for the power outage. We were freezing etc with no power to let us light the stove.

Is there much to rigging up a generator and a changeover switch?.

Advertisement