Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~~ Iceland megathread ~~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Probably too late for you at this stage, but I hired a car in Iceland using a debit card less than two weeks ago. I went with Blue Car Rentals. As long as your debit card has 16 digits in the number (mine is a Visa debit), you can hire a car with them. The excursion prices we saw while we were there were astronomical. Would 100% hire a car if/when I go back to Iceland as it's an absolute joy to drive in the country.

Thank you very much for this information,

I have been in contact with Blue car rentals and they have booked me a car for my stay and agreed I only need a debit card, which is great....

So now I am going to collect the car from the airport and stay in Reykjavik the first night. Then I am going to travel to Hofn on the second day making stops at some of the waterfalls and at Jokulsarlon, and then I have a room booked in Hofn for the second night.
    Ill head back to Reykjavik the next day and probably go to Vestrahorn first thing and then make a few other stops on the way back.
    Then on my fourth day there I might try and travel up to the snæfellsnes peninsula. Ill be heading back home the morning after that.

Hoping to catch some northern lights while i'm there, but I guess its dependent on the weather, a site for predicting aurora shows a coronal hole facing earth on them days with a good likely-hood of some auroral activity, but I guess catching the aurora can only be a bonus if I see it.

Looking foward to going now, just 12 days til I go....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

dmm82 wrote: »
    Our trip is nearly here, we head off in March. We have decided to stock up on food in the nearest bonus supermarket and just eat out once a day to try save some money. Does anyone have tips on what to pack for that time of year. Obviously hiking boots and hat/ scarf/ gloves/ warm socks and coat but is there anything else. Also do you think we would need to check on a case each?

Thanks for all the great tips so far :)
    Myself and the OH went for 5 days with one case between us and it was fine. We just wore our bulky clothes/boots over. Maybe try a practice pack and see.
    Something I'd consider next time is to actually bring some food with us. The Bonus supermarket is obviously a lot cheaper than eating out, but still quite a bit more expensive than Irish supermarkets. As long as it's not raw meat, eggs or milk I think you can bring 3kg per person of food into Iceland.
    Also, if you drink, may be an idea to bring a bottle of wine with you too.
    Thank you very much for this information,

I have been in contact with Blue car rentals and they have booked me a car for my stay and agreed I only need a debit card, which is great....

So now I am going to collect the car from the airport and stay in Reykjavik the first night. Then I am going to travel to Hofn on the second day making stops at some of the waterfalls and at Jokulsarlon, and then I have a room booked in Hofn for the second night.
    Ill head back to Reykjavik the next day and probably go to Vestrahorn first thing and then make a few other stops on the way back.
    Then on my fourth day there I might try and travel up to the snæfellsnes peninsula. Ill be heading back home the morning after that.

Hoping to catch some northern lights while i'm there, but I guess its dependent on the weather, a site for predicting aurora shows a coronal hole facing earth on them days with a good likely-hood of some auroral activity, but I guess catching the aurora can only be a bonus if I see it.

Looking foward to going now, just 12 days til I go....
    Very jealous. It's definitely the better option to rent a car than rely on excursions. That way you can go off the beaten track at your leisure. When you come into the arrivals hall, you have to head out the main door to the car rental shuttle bus.
    The Vedur website I mentioned above has an aurora forecast that you could use closer to the dates.

One recommendation if you're travelling the south coast on Route 1, if you happen to visit Skogafoss waterfall, I'd highly recommend visiting the lesser known Kvernufoss (2 minute drive followed by 15 minute hike from Skogafoss). It's a beautiful waterfall (similar to Seljalandsfoss) but there was no one there when we visited.
    Enjoy your trip. You'll have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Planning to go for 5-10 days first week of december for honeymoon. Good time to go or bad time? We are flexible so just wanted to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

zweton wrote: »
    Planning to go for 5-10 days first week of december for honeymoon. Good time to go or bad time? We are flexible so just wanted to ask.

Only issue with December is that there is not much daylight. A local was telling us that on Christmas day it gets bright around noon and dark again at 3pm.

zweton wrote: »
    I went from December 16th to 21st last year. The sun rose just before 11:30am and set around 3:30pm. But you kind of had light from about 10:30 until 4 - 4:30 as long as the weather wasn't awful.
    You wouldn't get as much time to see stuff as you would in the summer but as long as you make sure that you're where you want to be when the sun comes up, you'll still see plenty.

One thing is that the snow could be an issue at that time. There wasn't any snow until mid December last year but that's very unusual according to the Icelanders that lived in the AirBnB we were in.
    Advantage of that time is the scenery is stunning (well more stunning) and it's relatively quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

thanks, might rethink based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sherryman

Did anyone go on a photography tour or are you better renting a car and finding the sites your self. Do the hotels have their own local guides to take you to best landscapes any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi folks just making sure that visa debit cards work OK over there? Has anyone used them?

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi folks just making sure that visa debit cards work OK over there? Has anyone used them?

no issues. You will not need any ISK cash. Plastic works everywhere there.

record breaking snowfall in Reykjavik this week.
    Snow depth was measured at 51 cm at 9 am this morning in the capital which breaks the record of 48 cm in February in 1952. Only once has this been exceeded, in January of 1937 when snow was 55 cm.

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2017/02/27/incredible_photos_of_the_record_breaking_snowfall_n/

https://twitter.com/i/moments/836298751606054913

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Visiting Iceland for 4 nights in May, any recommendations? Was thinking Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon, wont be getting a car. Any one have any tour companies that they would recommend? Theres so many tour companies, its hard to know whats the best one to go with! Any thing else I should plan to do while there? Only got 3 full days so wanna make the most of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Hi,

Do you know if you can bring food into iceland from Ireland? I know you cant bring food into Australia, USA and Canada?

Also, Im going in with WOW air from dublin. THey say you can take i free bag on board if it is 10kg max and fits under seat infront of you. Anyone know how this works out in reality? its €17 extra if you want a 12kg bag to put in overhead locker. I heard they are quiet strict on this.

How do we get from keflavik airport to the airport hotel in the reykjanes region by public transport? It is only 3/4 kms from airport.

How do you get from keflavik airport to the reykjanes region by public transport? Our hotel is here and its only 3/4km from airport. taxis are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

horsebox7 wrote: »
    How do you get from keflavik airport to the reykjanes region by public transport? Our hotel is here and its only 3/4km from airport. taxis are very expensive.

Have a look at the Straeto (Icelandic public bus service) website. Available in English. Route No. 55 could be a possibility, depending on where your hotel is located.

https://www.straeto.is/en/timatoflur/6

Hi,

Do you know if you can bring food into iceland from Ireland? I know you cant bring food into Australia, USA and Canada?
    I think you can bring up to 3kg of food per person into Iceland. No raw meat, eggs or milk are allowed.
    Also, Im going in with WOW air from dublin. THey say you can take i free bag on board if it is 10kg max and fits under seat infront of you. Anyone know how this works out in reality? its €17 extra if you want a 12kg bag to put in overhead locker. I heard they are quiet strict on this.
    They do tend to be quite strict on dimensions and weights of all bags, carry-on and hold luggage. Though I brought a wheelie carry on case and was fine. But I saw a few people attempting to bring on mini ruck sacks and were forced to pay for it on check in.

Can't help with the bus question. I'd definitely suggest renting a car/4x4.

what is your hotel called as they may have transportation? Iceland is expensive but a short 4km taxi spin will not be that much.

Taxi cost in Iceland is ISK690 + ISK230 per km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

WE are going for a week in September (4-11) .. because its short we were thinking of Golden Circle/Blue lagoon + a trip to Jokulsarlon to see the glacier there.

Should we stay in a few different places along the Golden circle route or can you use one place as your base there ?
    obviously we would stay in a place close to Jokulsarlon for that part of the trip ...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

IMHO, blue lagoon isn't worth the price. I went a few years ago because it was included in the package but I think I would have been a bit underwhelmed if I had to pay for it. I went on a different (hiking) trip last year and some folks were asking about it. Our guide said she would advise going to a regular public swimming pool - all the thermal goodness at a fraction of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mmg0305 wrote:
    IMHO, blue lagoon isn't worth the price. I went a few years ago because it was included in the package but I think I would have been a bit underwhelmed if I had to pay for it. I went on a different (hiking) trip last year and some folks were asking about it. Our guide said she would advise going to a regular public swimming pool - all the thermal goodness at a fraction of the cost.

Agreed.

Last year, we went to the Secret Lagoon near Fludir. I can't remember the price but I know it was a fraction of the cost of the Blue Lagoon (which we also went to). Facilities at the Secret Lagoon weren't as fancy as the Blue Lagoon but they were more than adequate - food, bar, immaculately clean changing areas. Most importantly it had hot thermal water and was a lot less packed than the Blue Lagoon.

Fludir is a good distance from Reykjavik but if you have a car and plan to visit Geysir then the Secret Lagoon is only a few kms diversion. The scenery on the drive from Reykjavik is spectacular which is a welcome bonus.

WE are going for a week in September (4-11) .. because its short we were thinking of Golden Circle/Blue lagoon + a trip to Jokulsarlon to see the glacier there.

Should we stay in a few different places along the Golden circle route or can you use one place as your base there ?
    obviously we would stay in a place close to Jokulsarlon for that part of the trip ...

You can base yourself in Reykjavik and easily do day trips around Golden Circle or out to the Blue Lagoon. Many people do Blue Lagoon on way to or from airport as is on the main airport road so can save you a trip.

The Blue Lagoon is far too expensive to be really worthwhile. I'd say it's absolutely jammed during the summer/early autumn too. I was there in December and it was very busy then.
    Golden Circle is easy to do in one day when based in/near Reykjavik.

Accomodation seems crazy expensive in the Hella or Vic areas, only budget places I see are in Reykjavic or really far up north or north west which we can't really go to.

Looks like we could be sleeping in the car ...

do not book a car or any accomodation and just get a campervan.

http://www.campervaniceland.com/

Too late we allready booked the 4x4 :(

But looking at booking.com and using map view there are some places outside of Hella and Vic that are cheaper ..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Try Airbnb.

If it came to it you could always give couch surfing a go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Are tents an option?

I'd also keep a close eye on the weather forecasts. If it's to be rainy one day and sunny the next, use the rainy day to explore Reykjavik (if you're going to), and do, say, the Golden Circle on the sunny day. You'd just about manage the latter on the day of arrival if needs be, assuming you're getting the 11:55 flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

A few of us stayed in Hof 1 back in 2015. I don't know what prices are like but it's in a great location if you're set on Jokulsarlon, albeit right in the middle of nowhere. It's only about 10 minutes past the Skaftafell Glacier too.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/is/hof-1-hotel.html

Just a name anyway if you're looking for somewhere.

I'd stock up on a few snacks etc too if you're heading past Vik, shops weren't exactly plentiful, nor restaurants/cafes.

We went for a week spent 2 nights in Reykavik, 1 in Selfoss, 2 in Hof, 1 in Vik and back to Reykjavik for our last night. It kind of broke up the travelling and made sure we were able to stop in places.

Advertisement