Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me understand the 24/7 Heart Attack care report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JohnC. wrote: »
    I also can't help but think about how easy it'll be to take a mobile lab away again.

That's true, this whole thing, the more questions are asked stinks.journal.ie reporting it as a lab that will be going around the country and according to David cullinane, no mention of UHW in his request for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

azimuth17 wrote: »
    To be a 24/7 PPCI centre, that is one where heart attack emergency cases are dealt with, it is essential to have two cath labs. A man from Co Kilkenny spoke at the protest march recently and explained that he was on the operating table in the UHW cath lab getting two stents put in when a heart attack case arrived. he had to be removed from the table with only one stent in while the emergency was dealt with. When they put him back on the table the surgeon was unable for medical reasons to insert the second stent!

i can understand that a bit, but thats like saying we need three Labs, in case a third person comes in ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

robtri wrote: »
    i can understand that a bit, but thats like saying we need three Labs, in case a third person comes in ....

But it is supposed to be a Regional centre .......

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I understand the point being made. The Acute Coronary Syndrome programme would insist that a 24/7 PPCI centre would have at least 2 cath labs. That why UHW is in pursuit of a second one. One to do elective work an done to be available for emergency work as far as I understand it. All other Irish PPCI centres have at least 2 cath labs.

But it is supposed to be a Regional centre .......

yes, but where does it say it needs two only? why not three for the population its covering
    or as just one working 24 hours a day

• Advertisement

I understand the point being made. The Acute Coronary Syndrome programme would insist that a 24/7 PPCI centre would have at least 2 cath labs. That why UHW is in pursuit of a second one. One to do elective work an done to be available for emergency work as far as I understand it. All other Irish PPCI centres have at least 2 cath labs.

and may I ask who the acute coronary syndrome programme is???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

robtri wrote: »
    and may I ask who the acute coronary syndrome programme is???

The HSE programme to standardise heart attack treatment..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Good to see the Kilkenny hurling team offering to come on board with the campaign. If full 24/7 coronary care is to be delivered, it needs input from across the South-East. The more different groups that come on board, the more publicity the campaign will get. As the spokesman from Kilkenny GAA said, the only place that South-Eastern counties should line up against one another is on a sports field.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Good to see the Kilkenny hurling team offering to come on board with the campaign. If full 24/7 coronary care is to be delivered, it needs input from across the South-East. The more different groups that come on board, the more publicity the campaign will get. As the spokesman from Kilkenny GAA said, the only place that South-Eastern counties should line up against one another is on a sports field.

That is fantastic , as from my own experience speaking to people living less than 25 miles from the Waterford City in Tipp and KK , they all perceive this as being a Waterford City and County Issue no thanks to the National Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Absolutely. I noticed at the march there were no S.E. county flags as there had been at the Save Our Hospital march a few years back, which was a pity and a lost opportunity.
    A lot of this can be traced back to the break-up of the HSE Southeast region facilitated by the lack of support from St. Lukes Hospital Kilkenny for keeping the region intact with UHW as the lead hospital.
    So lets see Michael Conway up there on hefse.com with his hand on his heart for the people of the Southeast, if he can be enticed out of his Hole-In-The-Wall :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

In fairness, if anyone should come on board it's those lads. They've been responsible for more broken hearts in Waterford than just about anyone!

All joking aside the only chance of success the 24/7 care has is if it gains traction as a regional issue. The KK hurling team coming on board could actually be a massive help for this, so fair play to them for doing it. They could genuinely help to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

There should be some sort of recognisable symbol for the cause worn by the Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford and Tipp Players in the National Hurling League and Championship this year to also raise awareness at a national level on the TV etc. to really show the rest of the country that this is a South East Regional issue and is not going to go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there a link to this story some place?

road_high wrote: »
    Is there a link to this story some place?
    It's on the front page of this week's Munster Express but I couldn't see it on their website - I think that there is often a little bit of a delay before their "print" stories reach the website. I can't seem to find a link to the story anywhere else. How embarrassed will I be if it's a Munster Express hoax;)

Phew! Thank God for that. Smarter people than me have been caught out by Munster Express hoaxes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Fcuk me the Kilkenny People just can't help themselves; "Waterford General Hospital".
    Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/0619/883930-waterford-thomas-power/

Poor man RIP. And this is not the first time I am told. In one of the richest countries in the world. The government is absolutely pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I hope the people of Waterford remember this when the like of Halligan and Butler come knocking on the doors of Waterford residents during the next elections! I'll resign he said! All the bull**** spouted by these people. I hope tonight they sleep peacefully! I sincerely hope that I meet neither on the streets of Waterford or even Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Fine...build the extra lab
    The real problem is staffing
    Needs 7-8 Cardiologists to staff it 24/7 and specialized nursing and support staff
    We have large consultant vacancies in every Irish hospital because of poor work conditions and poor pay relative to US/Oz/Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

How can a hospital call itself a hospital when it can't even adequately treat THE number one cause of death in the developed world? Its absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Fcuk me the Kilkenny People just can't help themselves; "Waterford General Hospital".
    Muppets.

:D:D:D:D:D
    Its the little things ........ ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Not a peep out of Coffey or Deasy to condemn the government for not providing the Cath Lab or getting nearer to 24/7 cardiac care...absolute self serving wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Halligan gone into hiding too as is the leader of the Labour Party who's from the south east HOWLIN waste of space

vicwatson wrote: »
    Halligan gone into hiding too as is the leader of the Labour Party who's from the south east HOWLIN waste of space

Halligan said the "easy thing to do would be to resign over not getting the 2nd Cath Lab" ...... "by staying in office , he can keep the pressure on.."

Anyone seen Mary Butler ?
    Remember her ? She was last seen with a massive poster with Michael Martin declaring their election promise of the lab !!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

https://www.facebook.com/johnhalliganwaterford/posts/1522848804445814
    With respect to the mobile cath lab, it has been agreed that it will be deployed to UHW for five months, during which usage will be monitored and this will feed into a second clinical review at the end of the five months to determine the impact that having two labs running concurrently will have on waiting times. It is CRUCIAL that consultants across the south east make use of that lab for the five months that it is in place, to best demonstrate demand within the region.
    This second review will be done in consultation with other Oireachtas members and stakeholders in the south east and it will be carried out by a clinician outside of the HSE.

I doubt consultants who have arrangements for their patients with which they are satisfied are going to change their ways for a mobile cath lab available for only 5 months.

It would be nice to think they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

vicwatson wrote: »

Halligan was never anywhere else but in hiding, as for Butler she's like the chocolates, expensive but lacking in taste and value!

quite a bit of of coverage on Joe Duffy for the last couple of days .....
    pretty damning, and pretty horrific what people have to go through! Scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

greenspurs wrote: »
    quite a bit of of coverage on Joe Duffy for the last couple of days .....
    pretty damning, and pretty horrific what people have to go through! Scandalous

Yep, Irish independent, times and examiner gave it decent coverage too,I fear more will have to die before Harris can climb down from his 'i have to go by herity' B.S. .it certainly feels like the message finally became not ignorable after this tragedy happened...by that I mean it became national topic for radio and papers, some of the commentary still very poor e.g. saying for Waterford when its for SE., not mentioning the deeply flawed terms of reference, breaking up the SE area Uhw serves, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Halligan was never anywhere else but in hiding, as for Butler she's like the chocolates, expensive but lacking in taste and value!

I am so disappointed in Mary Butler. I voted for her expecting good representation. The way things are she could be challenging John Deasy for Hide and Seek champion if hes not careful.

Advertisement