Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What films/TV shows are you watching? *see mod warning, post #3*

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Deadpool is amazing. I'm so, so impressed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

For any history fans
    Not a show or a film but a YouTube channel.
    The Great War
    A channel that started in 2014.
    Presented by this historian guy who covers the day by day timeline of the war. Also does q&a , profiles and general political climate stuff.
    It is a very interesting channel if you like history.
    What I like the most about it is the episodes that cover individuals and those that cover the general climate of the time. How the war politicized the young people.
    There are a lot of parallels between the world around the Lost Generation and the millenials.
    With the Easter centenary this year it's important to look back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any other Archer fans in here? I've been ploughing through it on Netflix for the last two weeks. Magnificently offensive stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

An File wrote: »
    Any other Archer fans in here? I've been ploughing through it on Netflix for the last two weeks. Magnificently offensive stuff. :D

I binge watched the first season of it today. The silver linings of unemployment. Sh*t it's funny. :D

I would not have want to have been at a writers meeting though, when the news broke on the emergence of a certain terrorist group.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

TV: In the last year I've only really seen a few shows, but they were all well worth it. All from Netflix too, as it happens! Jessica Jones, Daredevil (both seasons), all of Archer, the start of F Is For Famliy, and almost all of Breaking Bad. I should really try to finish that soon.

Movies: Not too many this year so far. Sing Street was absolutely beautiful. The Big Short was class back in the spring. I finally got to see Wes Anderson's version of Fantastic Mister Fox on DVD a few weeks ago. Trippy. :pac:

• Advertisement

TV: In the last year I've only really seen a few shows, but they were all well worth it. All from Netflix too, as it happens! Jessica Jones, Daredevil (both seasons), all of Archer, the start of F Is For Famliy, and almost all of Breaking Bad. I should really try to finish that soon.

6 seasons of Archer are on Dutch Netflix. Have only 3 episodes left to watch from the whole thing. Wasn't too gone with Archer Vice, but otherwise as mentioned above I have f*cking loved Archer! :D Really one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

In an effort to watch more anime, watched the first episode of The Seven Deadly Sins the other evening. Will watch more before I make judgement.
    I finally got to see Wes Anderson's version of Fantastic Mister Fox on DVD a few weeks ago. Trippy. :pac:

Fantastic Mister Fox is trippy, but I really like it.

I've been meaning to check out a bit of anime to see if I'd like it. Are any of the ones on Netflix worth starting with as an introduction to anime?

Attack on Titan is pretty good. lots of action. the gear the characters wear make for some really cool visual sequences during the battles.
    Ghost in the Shell. very good
    First season of Nights of sydonia is good but i dropped off during the second season.
    I tried Kill la Kill but there was a joke they kept using,grown men lusting after teenagers played for laughs,which was kind of creepy. every episode basically

I'd only really watch anime very casually. wouldnt call myself a real fan but a lot of it can be very fun. The stakes are always super high. honor is always super important and the facial expressions can be hilarious. Its an animation style that can really be expressive.

have a few hardcore anime friends who always talk about a show called one punch which seems to be well regarded although i dont know if its on netflix.

I watched The entirety of The Wire over the last couple of weeks after seeing it recommended on Reddit for the umpteenth time.
    It's up there with one of the best things I've ever watched.

I'd only really watch anime very casually. wouldnt call myself a real fan but a lot of it can be very fun. The stakes are always super high. honor is always super important and the facial expressions can be hilarious. Its an animation style that can really be expressive.

have a few hardcore anime friends who always talk about a show called one punch which seems to be well regarded although i dont know if its on netflix.

I probably won't get to watch anything until August, but I'll be sure to check your tips first. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I've been meaning to check out a bit of anime to see if I'd like it. Are any of the ones on Netflix worth starting with as an introduction to anime?

Is claymore still on it, by god! I loved claymore, it really got going after 3 or 4 episodes. The old animes Bleach and Naruto are really worth a watch, they really grab you after a 7 or 8 episodes, the fights in bleach and naruto are really something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've always avoided anime because I don't like reading subtitles while watching stuff...

Are there any good dubbed ones out there? Like, I really liked Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! as a kid (*ducks behind cover to avoid hail of arrows from anime fans*), so I think I'd probably like anime, but just out of sheer laziness I've never really looked into it... :o

Don't usually watch dubbed stuff. Generally stick to subtitles but there was a series on years ago. Used to be shown on late night Toonami .
    Outlaw Star.
    Dubbed anime.
    Really fuppin good.
    Still occasionally find myself bursting into bad Japanese singing of the theme song. 15 years after watching it.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I've always avoided anime because I don't like reading subtitles while watching stuff...

Are there any good dubbed ones out there? Like, I really liked Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! as a kid (*ducks behind cover to avoid hail of arrows from anime fans*), so I think I'd probably like anime, but just out of sheer laziness I've never really looked into it... :o

I first saw (most of) The Castle of Cagliostro dubbed on Film4 a few years ago. Then watched it later subbed, which I much prefer.

But the story and characters are just great. So that would be my recommendation for dubbed anime. I've watched other films and the TV series of Lupin The Third, but its definitely my favourite.

I don't mind subtitles. I've a nice collection of foreign language DVDs building up now.

Amelie. La Haine. La Vie en Rose. Cinema Paradiso. Pan's Labyrinth. Linha de Passe. City of God. Et Tu Mama Tambien. Amores Perros. Enter The Dragon.

If the film is good it's worth it.

The Guard is on Dutch telly. Yesssssssss. :D

Watched the very first Star Wars film the other day. The first one I've ever seen. One of those film franchises that I've just never really had much interest in. I did think it was good though.

Saturday was the last day of our Netflix subscription so had wanted to watch it, as all the Star Wars films were recently added to Dutch Netflix. €8/month is not a lot but it's an expense I can do without atm.

Just watched another episode of TripTank on Comedy Central. It's a weird one, but I can't help but watch it. My gf doesn't like it, describing it as 'too much guy humour' even for her. :D

My guilty pleasure at the moment is "Riverdale" on NetFlix.

It's a high school/teen drama based on the characters from the Archie Comics.

I can't tell if it's horribly clichéd and formulaic, or if it's a really well-executed satire of its own genre. Either way, it's class.

Did anyone watch Bojack Horseman on the Netflix?

*Spongebob inter-sequence faux French voice*
    Two and a half years later.

Yes, yes I have. Love it. Almost done with season 3.

Any fans of "Archer", "Rick and Morty", or "For is for Family" in here? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Recently watched the first seven seasons of Archer again, absolutely love it. I'm waiting for S8 to come on Netflix atm.

I tried BoJack Horseman a while ago, but couldn't get past the first episode. It really just turned me off for some reason.

F is For Family looks intriguing, I just haven't gotten round to it yet.

Opinions on Bob's Burgers? I hear nothing but good things, but the animation style really doesn't appeal to me and it's a huge barrier to me watching it.

I've watched seasons 1-6, the 7th though just didn't click with me. The series with the over-arching don't work very well imo, also with Archer Vice.

I've seen a couple of Rick and Morty, thought it was ok. Hasn't grabbed me to want to watch more, but I probably will.

Bob's Burgers wasn't a series I liked at first. I thought the animation was weird too and the characters were f*cking annoying. It airs on Comedy Central here (maybe it does too in Ireland); recently enough they showed a new series. I thought it was much better. Gene can come out with some brilliant one-liners.

F is for family is excellent.
    Doesn't flinch when it shows the darker parts of family dynamics.
    Flashbacks to the years when my folks were younger and less mellow.

I watched "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" again today. Every young person should have to see it once.

Also got through "American Vandal" on Netflix recently. Brilliant bit of satire, that. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I really disliked the film of Perks, but the book just spoke to me in a way I haven't had in years.

I saw Kingsman earlier, and OH MY GOD. I adored it!

I really disliked the film of Perks, but the book just spoke to me in a way I haven't had in years.

I saw the film first, then read the book in pretty much one sitting during the summer, then watched the film again. I thought both worked pretty well. I had recently re-read "The Catcher In the Rye" too so the echoes and influence from that were much more obvious when I got around to reading the book.

Watching the deleted scenes from the DVD extras added some important stuff back into the movie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 claireod

game of thrones!

Got through a few good shows on Netflix recently. We took a chance on Mindhunter one week when there wasn't a new episode of Riverdale to watch. I'm a big fan of it now, really looking forward to seeing Season 2 later this year. It's based on the work and research of the FBI agents who eventually led to the foundation of their Behavioural Analysis Unit.

That led us to Manhunt: Unabomber, an 8 part docu-drama from Discovery about the crimes, arrest and trial of Ted Kaszinscy. It's not entirely historically accurate (the role of the lead profiler on the TV show is a composite of several agents from the real world) but it's very entertaining. Paul Bettany is class in his role as the "villain".

This lockdown is the perfect excuse for binge-watching. I'm after getting through Captain America: the First Avenger, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, and Iron Man 2 over the last few days. Can't get my hands on the Incredible Hulk so I'm going to move straight onto Thor this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I've been plowing through The Expanse. Nearly done season 2 and I am beginning to think it might be up there with some of the best tv I have ever watched. Would highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi

Advertisement