Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory Best OBE

• 17-06-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea personally, but delighted for him. Man has given everything for his club and country. Most capped Irish hooker, captained Ireland to their first win over New Zealand.

Absolute legend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Congratulations to him and his family on the recognition of his career and achievements

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Congrats to Rory. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I assume he's the first Irish player to receive an OBE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Is it deserved?

Not for his lineouts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Congratulations to Rory. Fantastic player and captain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought they gave these at new year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I thought they gave these at new year's.
    Her Majesty also gives honours on her Birthday which is today.Congrats Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

well done rory! feck the begrudgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    I think a lot of Irish players have been honoured by The Queen.Willie John McBride and Trevor Ringland come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nothing but congrats and respect for Rory. What a player he's been, this award obviously means a lot to him going by his comments and it's richly deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Joke, if he's our captain he should not accept it

AnneFrank wrote: »

Small minded rubbish. There needs to be an option to minus thank a post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well deserved. Congrats to him.

No, a few of the Ulster legends have received them in the past. McBride, Millar, Humphreys etc. He's in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Well even if the Lions tour doesn't bring him all that he'd want, he's got something nice to come home to. Overdue recognition, but I'm sure he won't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

OSI wrote: »
    Why not? It's not like the Irish have ever bothered affording recognition on those that excel and contribute to their country. Much easier to begrudge from the sidelines instead :rolleyes:

Irish people are recognised - Freedom of various cities, doctorates from universities. Take Brian O'Driscoll - he was made a freeman of Dublin alongside the likes of Nelson Mandela and Barack Obama. The first one was Isaac Butt in 1876 and there are only 82 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Take your petty, bitter begrudgery out of rugby, it's not welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

ðŸ¦Lions Captain @RoryBest2 OBE:
    'the players are calling me Sir, Joe Marler won't let me carry my bags'
    #LionsNZ2017

Ha ha ha ha ha!

That's what the Lions is all about - everybody coming together to rip the ar$e out of somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Congrats Rory. Legend and gentleman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

An absolute warrior but it is quite bizarre. A player represents either one country or a different country, otherwise the whole concept of international sport becomes a farce.

An absolute warrior but it is quite bizarre. A player represents either one country or a different country, otherwise the whole concept of international sport becomes a farce.

What are you on about?

• Advertisement

What are you on about?
    You must have come down in the last shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

AnneFrank wrote: »

He captains a team that represents all Ireland, both north and south. Well done to him.

You must have come down in the last shower.

Well it's you who seems to be surprised at the fact the Irish rugby team is an all-island team and always has been. This is also the case for a number of other sports.

Makes international sport a farce? Yeah, what are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You're a soccer fan aren't you.

Irish rugby is probably the most progressive sport in terms of unification between the north and the South.

Yet there's muppets like you who undermine it with statements like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

todolist wrote: »
    I think a lot of Irish players have been honoured by The Queen.Willie John McBride and Trevor Ringland come to mind.

Jack Kyle & Mike Gibson also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ajfo'r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Irish rugby is probably the most progressive sport in terms of unification between the north and the South.

I hate soccer and orders of chivalry, what does that make me? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

It's a bit daft, the queen obviously wouldn't know Rory from a potato, so it's a committee pick that puts forward sports people from the North who have given their all.
    It's a great honour for any person who considered themselves form the UK (and I mean this as no slight) ..

why shouldn't​ he accept? He's a player that has crossed both divides and represents all corners of this island...well done Rory I say

No I don't have any connections with soccer, but well done on living up to the judgemental stereotype of the rugger snobs.

As for undermining progress, you'd be better off looking at your unionist pals with their anti-EU drivel driving us back to the Dark Ages. But in typical Irish fashion, you'd prefer to sweep awkward issues under the carpet and wallow in self-righteousness.

But England are going to win a lot of rugby matches in the future so that will keep you happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

No I don't have any connections with soccer, but well done on living up to the judgemental stereotype of the rugger snobs.

As for undermining progress, you'd be better off looking at your unionist pals with their anti-EU drivel driving us back to the Dark Ages. But in typical Irish fashion, you'd prefer to sweep awkward issues under the carpet and wallow in self-righteousness.

But England are going to win a lot of rugby matches in the future so that will keep you happy.

Oh Dear!

Advertisement