Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

• 24-04-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭

News:
    After reports circulated over the plot for the X-Men: Apocalypse sequel, 20th Century Fox confirmed that the franchise will be revisiting Jean Grey's iconic story line next year.

On Saturday, the studio announced new release dates for the next installments of the X-Men cinematic universe: Josh Boone's New Mutants is scheduled for April 13, 2018, Deadpool 2 will now bow June 1, 2018, and Dark Phoenix will hit theaters on November 2, 2018.
    All the reports I've seen assume that Sophie Turner will star as Jean Grey, after her role in X-Men: Apocalypse, which is reasonable - even IMDB. Wikipedia has more on the Dark Phoenix Saga from the comic books, here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is Singer directing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dark Phoenix... again... sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

to make that work you would need the Starjammers or maybe substitute in GotG

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Sophie Turner was an unremarkable Jean Grey.

I kinda hoped Logan would be the end of this run of X-men films. The timeline needs to be reset. It's too confusing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

my take on it from what i posted in the superheros forum.

ill be intersted to see how they do it.

a straight conversion of the story is out the window. no aliens in this universe so there goes the shiar and half the cast either isnt there for the helfire club- or isnt meant to show up unitll "logan" like peirce.

but ya can still hit the beats.

the main theme IMO is the seduction and corruption of jean by all her power . leading to her going nuts and a show down with xavier.

jean cant eat a sun and destroy a planet killing 60 billion people, but she could say - wipe out India. thats a good 1.5billion.

and that'd be MORE than enough reason for the UN to put together a global mutant strike force that stands in for the imperial guard to go gunning for her leading to the throwdown against the Xmen at the end of the phoenix saga where she tops herself.

i'd stage that battle at the mansion cause the moon will make no sense in the movieverse and i'd make her use cykes optic blasts to kill herself instead of the lazer cannon found there (also provides her the opportunity to give that speech to him at the end)

theres potential here to do something more than just a FX bonanza. one of the things i like about the xmen comics is their villains tend to have a point. magneto's world view is valid- albeit based in fear and hopelessness.

for ages weve been told the x men fight "to protect a world that fears and hates them".

the dark phoenix saga could be the one to show exactly WHY those humans are "right" to do exactly that.

wont hold my breath though after apocalypse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

El Duda wrote: »
    Sophie Turner was an unremarkable Jean Grey.

I kinda hoped Logan would be the end of this run of X-men films. The timeline needs to be reset. It's too confusing now.
    They've one main X-Men movie (Dark Pheonix), four character movies (Deadpool 2 & 3, Gambit and X-23), and four mutant team movies (New Mutants, X-Force, Alpha Flight and Exiles), all in various stages of development.

So I can't seem them resetting the universe anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Simon Kinberg now set to direct.

Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy & Nicholas Hoult all set to return.

Jessica Chastain is in talks to join the cast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Cool...
    The Fassbender and McAvoy bromance works as well as Stewart and Sir Ian..
    And J Law is easy on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Simon Kinberg now set to direct.

Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy & Nicholas Hoult all set to return.

Jessica Chastain is in talks to join the cast as well.

Eugh, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I thought J Law was done with the X movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Skerries wrote: »
    I thought J Law was done with the X movies

Big dump truck of cash reversing up the driveway tends to change peoples minds

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

I don't want J-Law in this franchise any more.

ooooh some interesting news from CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

What this basically means boys and girls is the xmen and fantastic four would basically be going back to marvel !

interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

ooooh some interesting news from CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

What this basically means boys and girls is the xmen and fantastic four would basically be going back to marvel !

interesting times ahead.

And Deadpool... :(

Hopefully if it went through they would let Deadpool stay R-rated but I don't hold out much hope.

Would be excellent news for X-men and F4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

And Deadpool... :(

Hopefully if it went through they would let Deadpool stay R-rated but I don't hold out much hope.

Ryan Reynolds has commented on this: https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/927646287880744962

:P

i cant see them messing with deadpool now its a proven hit.

before hand couldve been a totally different story. i could see them pushing him as a kiddie friendly slapstick cartoon type character.

thank god he's branded now as an adult orientated satire.

we could be seeing a kinda "imprint" type of set up in the offing should the sale go through where the fox lads get to stick with the alternative edgy stuff (like the upcoming new mutants take), and prehaps even take properties in marvels stable.

while at the same time marvel could do their versions to include in the MCU without fear of litigation (think quicksilver and the scarlet witch. hell now they can actually call them mutants) so you could get FF Silver surver galactus and the Xmen in the second infinity war flim.

end of the day the mouse wants to make moola. i dont see em messing with what works. it'd defeat the whole purpose of purchasing the studio.

and hell as a comic fan if this DOES go through it means marvel comics will start backing the XMEN/FF again as orders came from on high to sideline them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They might actually stop sh!tting on the X books...yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

This merger would essentially allow Disney to print money off the back of the MCU. I for one am delighted.

You know what - I would be pretty happy with Disney owning some of the Fox cannon. They've been pretty good at not interfering massively in the Marvel, Pixar, and LucasFilms franchises, so I can see them letting and supporting another full-blown R-Rated Daredevil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it in the Superheroes forum thread, and will say it here, Marvel fandom put aside this is potentially a bit disappointing at best, and grim at worst; Disney getting hold of another entertainment giant & cash-cow just increases their monopoly.

Plus, TBH, continuity aside the X-Men don't need to be in the MCU - and shouldn't. I love comics as much as the next person but their bloated roster and eye-wateringly complicated backstories are one of their biggest weaknesses. I'm not immediately keen on seeing Wolverine & co. tussle with the Avengers on-screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah Mr Blanchard was stating the bleeding obvious there.

Disney would be idiots to try and hamper Deadpool and stop it being a full on R-Rated movie - it made $363m on a $58m budget. Hell, Logan solidified the fact that there is a market for full-on R-Rated movies with it becoming a box office smash too.

Can you imagine if Dredd got released now? Very likely it would turn into a box office smash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

This is turning into the "Disney's getting all the Marvel properties back" thread...

I've mixed feelings about it. I do like that Marvel will get the freedom to use characters (baddies in particular) as they please without restrictions. I also really like the thoughts of FF in the MCU. They're a perfect fit and the timing is right for a super-brainy hero to take over from Stark. However, all the X-Men stuff would just overload the MCU. To me, it'd be unwieldy to manage sheer volume of characters it brings into the fold. I also enjoy the different tone and style of the X-Men movies, particularly the more recent entries such as DoFP, Deadpool and Logan. I'd like to see the X-Men universe done right but keep that edge and slightly more grown-up tone. When Fox got it right, the X-Men movies are up there with the best, but there's also so much wrong with them that a straight up reboot of the series is needed. Deadpool is in a tricky spot so because I'd love to see it continue doing its own thing but then does that muddy the waters if there's a hard reboot? Maybe they could make use of the 4th wall breaking to play into that though with Deadpool recognizing that he (and all the other characters) has been rebooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bacchus wrote: »
    This is turning into the "Disney's getting all the Marvel properties back" thread...

I've mixed feelings about it. I do like that Marvel will get the freedom to use characters (baddies in particular) as they please without restrictions. I also really like the thoughts of FF in the MCU. They're a perfect fit and the timing is right for a super-brainy hero to take over from Stark. However, all the X-Men stuff would just overload the MCU. To me, it'd be unwieldy to manage sheer volume of characters it brings into the fold. I also enjoy the different tone and style of the X-Men movies, particularly the more recent entries such as DoFP, Deadpool and Logan. I'd like to see the X-Men universe done right but keep that edge and slightly more grown-up tone. When Fox got it right, the X-Men movies are up there with the best, but there's also so much wrong with them that a straight up reboot of the series is needed. Deadpool is in a tricky spot so because I'd love to see it continue doing its own thing but then does that muddy the waters if there's a hard reboot? Maybe they could make use of the 4th wall breaking to play into that though with Deadpool recognizing that he (and all the other characters) has been rebooted.

I'd almost be hoping Disney would let Marvel set up an X-Men universe of movies themselves, which could be 18s rated, and keep it separate from the MCU bar maybe the occasional quick appearance or reference. But Marvel have shown they can have a much better grasp on their characters than Sony did with Spider-man, and I think if they got the X-Men and set up a new universe of films just for them, it could be great.

Bring Fantastic Four into the main MCU, but keep the X-Men in their own bubble universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

We could probably shift this FOX Marvel chat int this thread.....
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057805872

and use this thread to talk about Dark Phoenix, so the chat isn´t lost in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

• Registered Users Posts: 84,944 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will Famke Janssen be in this too?

Plopsu wrote: »

Why is that Uh-oh?

My biggest issue is that I really don't Turner is a strong enough actress to pull off the likes of Dark Phoenix. She could barely do Jean Grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Why is that Uh-oh?

Because it suggests that they're trying to turn the x-men movie into some sort of relationship exploring chick flick (and that's ignoring the Peppa Pig-esque 'we're always having to save the men' comment). Let's just say I see plenty of red flags in that article.

Advertisement