Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Programme 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenpic

DeltaOscar wrote: »
    Greenpic wrote: »

SUCCESSFULLY completing.

I hope we both passed the English comprehension :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar

Sorry, I know it wasn't your quote CiboC. I wasn't correcting anyone's spelling.
    I was just highlighting that the email said congrats on successfully completing the feast and not just completing the feast as greenpic is implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭CiboC

No worries, I got that! It was my fault for making a mess of the quote in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Can anyone actually tell us the correct salary and pay scales we could expect to get after the 16 months unpaid training. 
    I can find anything quoted from €32.g to €115.g 
    It is a hell of a commitment to go unpaid for almost 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Well from the email I got this morning it says congrats for sucessfully COMPLETING the feast test. I would just be interested to see if anyone who completed the test (without walking out half way) would not be called back. I still imagine everyone who completed it gets a call back.

I know of people who completed the test and did not get invited for DART, both this time and on previous occasions.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the feedback - I guess I did better than I imagined then. Happy to have gotten the call back either way. Enjoy the weekend !

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I know of people who completed the test and did not get invited for DART, both this time and on previous occasions.

You mean they know that they passed the FEAST but did not get called for the DART test?

Did they not query why they were not called for DART if they had passed the first stage?

Ok thanks for the feedback - I guess I did better than I imagined then. Happy to have gotten the call back either way. Enjoy the weekend !

Everyone leaves feeling like they've done badly. Congratulations and good luck with the DART

CiboC wrote: »
    You mean they know that they passed the FEAST but did not get called for the DART test?

Did they not query why they were not called for DART if they had passed the first stage?

No, I mean that they completed the test but failed it. Just clarifying for Greenpic that it is a pass/fail test, not simply a matter of sitting it and getting an automatic invitation to the DART

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omega99

So, does anyone know what to expect for the second set of tests? Is there any way we can prepare?
    Dynamic ATC Radar Test... would an ATC simulator help in preparation can anyone say?

Anyone know what percentage approx of people got called back?

Good luck to all once again

• Advertisement

omega99 wrote: »
    So, does anyone know what to expect for the second set of tests?
    The DART test requires applicants to guide aircraft safely and efficiently through a system of checkpoints taking certain traffic constraints into consideration: The DART test requires applicants to guide 3 airplanes safely and efficiently through a system of 4 checkpoints (A,B,C,D), taking certain traffic constraints into consideration: All 3 planes are only allowed to fly in an altitude of either 100, 200, or 300. First without any other planes, then with air traffic of various other planes, one does not have control over (and which are normally always on collision course) and finally, one must additionally, simultaniously do some mental arithmetic: You are listening to a sequence of letters and digits. Whenever 2 digits are to be heard, one must add them together: For example, "AT3QSK7TBV8PH4" requires at first an addition of "3+7" and then as soon as you hear the digit 8, an addition of "7+8" and then "8+4"; so, in other words, to remember the last digit of the last addition and to add it with the next coming digit. The top priority is, of course, to avoid conflicts or collisions between the planes, but also to give possibly very few commands - as fewest as it is possible. Planes on the screen respond to the given instructions with a certain time delay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEAST_test

This software claims to emulate the test, and does look similar, but I've never tried it, so can't vouch for it:
    https://www.skytest.com/module_78_230.html

So if you have a collision do you think that's means your out ? If so I think I'm out - 2 collisions 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

So if you have a collision do you think that's means your out ? If so I think I'm out - 2 collisions 😕

2 collisions?? Yeah you only killed 400 people, don't worry you might still make it through

Oh :(( ya that's kinda what I thought

Did they go red and pass by each other or disappear off the screen?

Did they go red and pass by each other or disappear off the screen?

They went red and passed by - they didn't disappear - I thought red was collision though

• Registered Users Posts: 15 omega99

Hi all,

Is there any other areas being tested on at this stage of the selection process?

Some other forums say that you need to brush up on mental arithmetic and give examples of questions such as :

A 737 flies 930 miles in 75 minutes. How many miles does it fly in 4 hours 45 minutes assuming as constant speed?

a) 3534
    b) 3548
    c) 3368
    d) 3552

Also, do they give very detailed instructions at the start of the DART test itself?

Cheers..

B

They went red and passed by - they didn't disappear - I thought red was collision though

I think red is just a breach of the separation rules.

I did the test today and I had already ordered a height change, the symbols went red although the ordered plane was nearly at the new height when they got close.

omega99 wrote: »
    Is there any other areas being tested on at this stage of the selection process?

Also, do they give very detailed instructions at the start of the DART test itself?

No questions in the DART test, just the setup I quoted above.

There are detailed instructions to read before you start, and 2 practice rounds before the evaluated ones.

There are detailed instructions to read before you start, and 2 practice rounds before the evaluated ones.

3 practice rounds and then 3 tests.

It would be useful to become intimately familiar with the concept of headings and bearings if you aren't already.

• Advertisement

Just got an email, I'm through to the next stage in August..!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Also through to the group interview stage in Shannon.

At least they got back to us quick, I only did the DART there on Monday. I wonder how many people are through.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bartekm1996

Got through also, quite a few got through if there doing group interviews all week but that's down to the size of the groups and how many interviews they will hold a day. Are we through to the final interview ?? because it states that the result of the profiling questionnaire (Work and Strengths) will be crossed checked at the final interview.

Hard to estimate how many. In my experience, you would imagine for a group interview process that it could be anything from 6-12 per group. Minimum one group per day for the 5 days. So potentially anywhere ranging from 30 - 180 or more, progressing to the next stages.

Bartekm1996, no we are not through to final interview. I believe they mean that should we reach that stage, they will be cross checking the Work Strength results at that point for accuracy. But from the wording, we are certainly through to the group interviews regardless of results in Work Strengths profiling.

2hr 20 mins to Shannon from Dublin according to Google maps. Better than I thought!

2hr 20 mins to Shannon from Dublin according to Google maps. Better than I thought!

Depending on if its in the IAA building or one of the hotels in Shannon, it's a straight road all the way from the red cow. Luckily for me, this time its only a 10 min drive

I didn't make it any further - best of luck to the rest of you !

The dates for the interviews have been sent out, I got a Friday.

My question is has anyone here gotten as far as the group interview or further and have they any suggestions ??

I spoke to one of Lufthansa's technicians because they used to do group assessments as well, didn't say much just told me to participate but not to dominate in the group

Also received my date - booked to stay in the Oak Wood hotel the night before. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?
    My slot is in the morning and don't want a flat tire or similar stranding me somewhere 100km from Shannon!

For group interview; I did two for Aer Lingus Cadetship in 2015 & 2016 and progressed, but fell down at final interview unfortunately.
    Any advice I received prior to those was common sense really, but the usual's were along the lines of, don't be the person talking the most, don't be the person talking the least, don't force your opinion, offer an idea that someone may have not mentioned yet, ask people around you to contribute if you see them being quietened by someone else. The usual team meeting productivity shenanigans.

In our case it was a plane with one seat left and 10 passengers(including Bono!) all in dire straights of needing to get home, and we as a group had to agree on one to board. There was no right answer really, I believe they were judging on teamwork and who could contribute while also ensuring productivity. I think a lot of people feel they are against each other in that particular situation, but the best method in my opinion is to try get the best out of everyone such as in a real work scenario.

Obviously that may not be of any benefit to our group interview as it may be vastly different but hey that's my 2c.

Also received my date - booked to stay in the Oak Wood hotel the night before. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?
    My slot is in the morning and don't want a flat tire or similar stranding me somewhere 100km from Shannon!

For group interview; I did two for Aer Lingus Cadetship in 2015 & 2016 and progressed, but fell down at final interview unfortunately.
    Any advice I received prior to those was common sense really, but the usual's were along the lines of, don't be the person talking the most, don't be the person talking the least, don't force your opinion, offer an idea that someone may have not mentioned yet, ask people around you to contribute if you see them being quietened by someone else. The usual team meeting productivity shenanigans.

In our case it was a plane with one seat left and 10 passengers(including Bono!) all in dire straights of needing to get home, and we as a group had to agree on one to board. There was no right answer really, I believe they were judging on teamwork and who could contribute while also ensuring productivity. I think a lot of people feel they are against each other in that particular situation, but the best method in my opinion is to try get the best out of everyone such as in a real work scenario.

Obviously that may not be of any benefit to our group interview as it may be vastly different but hey that's my 2c.

Got told much along those lines from other people, I live in Sixmilebridge just next to Shannon so don't have to travel this time. My friends wife cleans in the iaa building she said in the last two months it got cut by almost a half from what she sees

• Advertisement

she said in the last two months it got cut by almost a half from what she sees

What got cut by half?

Advertisement