Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Season 10 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sorry but no, that was a great idea but the execution was atrocious. It was on of the worst directed/plotted episodes I can remember.

Absolutely everything about the lab was contrived and frankly stupid.
    Nothing they did could/would happen.
    From there being no tolerances set, in the injection settings, to the "scientist" taking off his biohazard protection. To scooping a random mega toxic sample by hand to taking it OUT of the containment area. I'm not even going to think of more there.
    Then the military scenes oh Christ, the "Why can't we be friends" scene alone was enough for me.

FFS it was insulting

I admit, I didn't have high hopes when yer wan put her handbag in the doorway, then "NO DON'T SHUT THE... *bag gets slammed*... door..." Not usually a sign of good things to come. Everything that happened in the lab after that just seemed par for the course, especially the oversized combination lock.

I enjoyed the general Doctor/Bill/Nardole bits, but yeah, the Monks are basically just The Silence bar the memory loss stuff, the lab stuff was ridiculous, the army generals taking it upon themselves to give control of the world over to the aliens without even ringing their own Presidents... Some very stupid decisions were made in the writing of this episode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Great idea shoved into possibly the worst episode I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought is was poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Penn wrote: »
    Considering he hadn't melted/decayed in the Tardis like Dan Miller did, I'd say he recovers somehow. If they were going to kill him, that would have been the time to show it.
    I didn't get this at all, esp when the scientist is back in the same room as the tardis but has her hasmat suit off ? why wasn't she effected ?

will56 wrote: »
    I didn't get this at all, esp when the scientist is back in the same room as the tardis but has her hasmat suit off ? why wasn't she effected ?

Also the fact that the double doors were open on several occasions, the other lad had clearly walked between the two several times. The whole building was infected, drinking coffee in a lab where you need to be wearing gloves and suited up, taking the helmet off inside the sealed room. Also Nardole carrying the infection out of the room and into the Tardis (where I thought they were going, which would have made more sense).

I realise it is Who and suspension of belief must be carried out but some of the holes were large enough to fit a double decker bus through.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also the fact that the double doors were open on several occasions, the other lad had clearly walked between the two several times. The whole building was infected, drinking coffee in a lab where you need to be wearing gloves and suited up, taking the helmet off inside the sealed room. Also Nardole carrying the infection out of the room and into the Tardis (where I thought they were going, which would have made more sense).

I realise it is Who and suspension of belief must be carried out but some of the holes were large enough to fit a double decker bus through.

Yeah, normally I ignore some of the plot holes, and often they'e pointed out to me after but they were very obvious and massive in this episode !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I love that people can have such conflicting opinions on something and still all love the property :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought that after Moffat left Toby Whithouse would have been the natural choice for show runner given his success with Being Human and his excellent episodes such as School Reunion, God Complex and A Town called Mercy.
    But tonight's episode has shown me that perhaps it's a good thing he isn't because it would just be more of the same as Moffat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I liked it.

My main bug bear is that it seemed out of character that the Doctor would go into the Pyramid with a group of soldiers and start shooting the monks? Where's the Doctor who Never Would?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Felt it was a poor enough end to a poor enough trilogy.

And is there a running story this season? Like Bad Wolf or The Impossible Girl?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Felt it was a poor enough end to a poor enough trilogy.

And is there a running story this season? Like Bad Wolf or The Impossible Girl?

It'll be around
    Missy becoming Master
    again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it was better than the second part myself, mostly because the awkward geopolitical angle was gone, but still felt a little stale. I guess that hot streak from the start of the season had to end some time. The finale was a little underwhelming too, not helped by the lack of any sort of resistance from The Monks - at least The Silence gave off a better sense of being an immediate threat as well as a broader one.

That said, the grim setting of the first act was compelling, if brief; if Dr. Who was more into season-long arcs & its audience average a little higher, I could have seen a few episodes spent in that dystopia. Shades of 1984 and an interesting premise on the face of it really. Shame we couldn't have spent more time there.

Next week sees Victorian soldiers on Mars vs. Ice Warriors. Huh. you know, say what you will about the show but there's no doubt its shifting tone is its greatest strength (and weakness)

edit: Oh and had to laugh at the Season 2 easter egg:
    Magpie Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is that actually the end of the Monks!? That was awful. The first episode was a simulation to learn how to invade Earth which the Doctor copped and sent to his real self to warn him about the invasion. They then invaded anyway despite the Doctor's warning and I still have no idea why they needed to be asked to "help" except solely so that they set up Bill as the psychic link. one of the most convoluted Who stories in a long time that could have been done in two episodes instead of dragging it out for three.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, the conclusion of that story just felt like "Oh, right so" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Can I just check something?

Did the Doctor defeat the Monks and it was pure coincidence that his blindness hindered his escape meaning Bill had to consent

OR

Did the simulation predict everything including the fact that the Doctor would cop onto the simulation thus warning himself and then did it also simulated that the Doctor would "defeat" the Monks but in so doing so be the cause of their eventual victory?

Because if it was the latter then the story may deserve a rewatch and more credit than I originally gave it. Although if it was the former, I should clearly be writing for the show.

Another could have been good. They really could have worked that story into a few episodes. As someone else said, have people running round a dystopian London. A real blast into classic Who. They could have made it very interesting and relevant, rather than that one dig about fake news.

I really feel like someone on the writing team had a great idea and then someone at the BBC said, well, we have the two masters for some point later in the season, so we can jam up the first half of the season with this.

I really feel like someone on the writing team had a great idea and then someone at the BBC said, well, we have the two masters for some point later in the season, so we can jam up the first half of the season with this.

Its episodes and story arc like this that really hinder the Who universe and leave to long term fans to follow along.
    Very hard to recommend Who to people because you can never predict the quality of an episode. It flips from "Blink" to "Kill the Moon" on a regular basis :(

On a more positive note, I'm getting a bit more fond of Missy. I like the slightly unhinged character that Michelle Gomez is playing, but then again its only when she's been given the right lines/scenes

In relation to the Simm master,
    I'm getting the impression it might just be in flashback. Missy telling the Doctor and Bill how she overcome one thing or another and we get to see it.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Can I just check something?

Did the Doctor defeat the Monks and it was pure coincidence that his blindness hindered his escape meaning Bill had to consent

OR

Did the simulation predict everything including the fact that the Doctor would cop onto the simulation thus warning himself and then did it also simulated that the Doctor would "defeat" the Monks but in so doing so be the cause of their eventual victory?

Because if it was the latter then the story may deserve a rewatch and more credit than I originally gave it. Although if it was the former, I should clearly be writing for the show.

Or the simulation is still running. Victory outcome is bound to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Bill is the link? Put her in the Tardis and send her to another planet/time. Link broken.
    The statues are the transmitters for the link? Destroy all the statues. Link broken.

Oh, and what about that little test the Doctor put her through at the start? - Great, I have a companion who is ok with using guns, which I've always been strongly against, and she's fairly quick to shoot me after a few minutes of thinking I've betrayed her. Super!

I thought she shot him because with him working for them, humanity had no hope. Nothing to do with betrayal.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I thought she shot him because with him working for them, humanity had no hope. Nothing to do with betrayal.

Well it was to do with betrayal.
    The doctors betrayal on humanity.

I think you're reading something that wasn't said.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think you're reading something that wasn't said.

I thought the post meant he betrayed her, a very personal betrayal. He didn't betray her. He didn't even betray humanity. If anything, she betrayed him and made a deal with the devil.

Good point about the psychic link though, but I presume it was one of those things the Tardis would not allow it, otherwise every story would be very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was awful, bar the Missy scenes.

The fake regeneration was a bunch of bullsh*t too. Bill at this point doesn't know about regeneration, which means she also doesn't know what the regeneration process looks like. There was no reason whatsoever for the fakeout, except of course for the audience and to tease it in trailers.

Also, couldn't they have filmed more than 3 seconds of footage with Bill's mother? Every time the camera moved they repeated the same clip of her standing up and reaching out on all the screens. Either way, the whole thing was almost (but not quite) as bad as elf-Tennant vs The Master way back when. They went too big with the story and were left with resolving it in the stupidest and most cringe-worthy way possible.

Normally episodes/stories like that are saved by Capaldi's performance, but even he had so little to do in this one.

It hasn't been a great series so far. It's been okay with some good performances and some good story ideas, and Bill and Nardole are great additions, but it's just mostly falling flat for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agree about the 'too big' comment, in many ways it felt like a throwback to those RTD epics that put the whole world in peril or invaded. Moffat never really had the same commitment to those cheesy heights Davies managed, or the budget really, so his versiond always come off a bit stale

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, that tree parter was pants. Very poorly executed and half-thought-out.

It's annoying because it had the ingredients for a really good story, but they just seemed to feck them all into an oven and cook at 400C.

My prediction:
    The whole lot of this series and maybe the last few have been inside a simulation put in place by the Master. Testing out how he/she can beat the Doctor.

I felt that was kind of weak.

did ye all give up after last week lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

To be honest, I was a bit busy yesterday and forgot all about the episode being on last night until 11pm :pac:

Advertisement