Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I LIONS vs Blues: Wed @ 08h35

• 05-06-2017 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

419126.jpg

The Lions 2nd tour match kicks off Wednesday against the Blues. After an underwhelming debut against the NZ Baa-baas, the Lions will want to make a bit of statement against NZ's weakest Super XV in 2017.

With few players giving commanding displays in the weekend, there is lots of opportunity for someone to stick their hand up and say "pick me". One player I will be keeping a close eye on in that regard is Maro Itoje, who all the attributes, whether it be his demographics (Nigerian origins, exotic name) or his rugby prowess, to leave a lasting impression on the NZ public. Another player I'll follow too is Leigh Halfpenny, who was given a bit of a gift by Hogg's ineptitude at times, and the couple of goal-kicking misses from Sexton and Farrell.

Turning to the Irish representation, and the obvious place to start is the midfield. Jared Payne fronts up against his old franchise, and partners with Henshaw at 2nd-five. Given Jonathan Davies end of season form for Scarlets, you would think Payne is not in the running for the tests, but Henshaw certainly has a chance, although Teo gave one of the better displays for the Lions. Other Irish starting players are McGrath and Stander (will want to recover some form), while on the bench we have Best, Henderson, O'Mahony and Sexton. It doesn't take a genius to work out Farrell will be starting against the Crusaders. The biggest Lions weakness for me is Biggar, who has been a bit all over the shop this season, I have not been too impressed.

Turning to the Blues, and for a bit of background the Blues franchise is made up of Auckland, North Harbour, and Northland. The Blues were once the powerhouse of NZ rugby, but have struggled in recent times, partly because of the lack of a decent 1st-five. In that regard, they are handing a starting debut to 2016 U20s player Stephen Perofeta. Other players to watch are Charlie Faumuina, who is having an excellent final season, Rieko Ioane who started in the midfield but is now preferred on the wing, where he looks much more comfortable and is possibly in line for the AB squad (otherwise a certainty for the Maoris), and Stephen Luatua - many NZ fans feel he is having a great season, and should also be pushing for the NZ squad, but I am less convinced. A weakness is the Blues fullback Michael Collins, who inexplicably keeps getting preferred to the much more dynamic Melani Nanai.

I've not changed my views that the Lions will win this match - the Blues seem to concede 1 or 2 tries to the rolling maul each game, which should be a Lions strength, and the Blues halves tend to be up and down - Pulu can be amazing one minute, and totally fluff it the next. There are, however, some very dangerous attacking players for Blues, and the Lions will need to score tries if they want to be ahead on the scoreboard after 80 minutes. Look for Liam Williams in particular to make a difference off the bench for the Lions. Lions by about 10.

Comments

• Worth a watch after the reaction from last game:

https://www.facebook.com/AotearoaMan/videos/1347772268645039/

• Feck all English in the team. Probably worried they'd get riddled by the Blues fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

This on TV lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Billy Reid wrote: »
    This on TV lads?

No, only on the wireless (long-wave frequencies). Gerry Thorney will be sending in updates via telegraph though. And then you can read his match report in 2 weeks, once the ship arrives in to Dublin harbour via stopovers in Sydney and the Suez Canal. It's hoped NASA will get a satellite up in time for the first test.

(yes it's on TV).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    No, only on the wireless (long-wave frequencies). Gerry Thorney will be sending in updates via telegraph though. And then you can read his match report in 2 weeks, once the ship arrives in to Dublin harbour via stopovers in Sydney and the Suez Canal. It's hoped NASA will get a satellite up in time for the first test.

(yes it's on TV).

Movie rights already secured for NZs answer to one of the great Ozzie films. They'll call it The Dush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

(yes it's on TV).

Comedian

What channel George

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Comedian

What channel George

All of the Lions matches are on Sky Sports

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pretty strong blues side. Francis injured or rested?? Huge call to give the kid the debut at 10.

Henshaw Payne v SBW Moala is mouthwatering.

If the blues are up for this defensively they can win.

Comedian

What channel George

I imagine sky sports but I'm open to correction.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Pretty strong blues side. Francis injured or rested?? Huge call to give the kid the debut at 10.

Henshaw Payne v SBW Moala is mouthwatering.

If the blues are up for this defensively they can win.

Francis is in Argentina Syd. With the English rugby team.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah thanks, didn't know he had left already.

Doesn't say much for West to be behind a debutant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

This on TV lads?
    Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Why did I read this and think it was talking about Neil Francis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Why did I read this and think it was talking about Neil Francis?

Because Franno is omnipresent

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Plan is to record the match and watch it as soon as I get home from work. Just gotta hope nobody mentions the result before work ends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 GrainneArd

Henshaw and Payne at centre would suggest a robust centre partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Plan is to record the match and watch it as soon as I get home from work. Just gotta hope nobody mentions the result before work ends
    I have resigned myself to hearing the result, but still gonna watch it straight away when I get in

In team news for the Blues

1. Patrick Tuipolotou has been dropped for turning up late for training. That should be the final nail in his AB squad chances.
    2. The Blues will dedicate their new haka to former Blues' players Kurtis Haiu and Jonah Lomu. Haiu lost his battle with bone cancer not too long ago, while you are all of course aware of Lomu's passing. The haka gets a lot of bad press at times, but it's an integral part of Maori culture, and given Irish culture puts a lot of store in honouring the deceased, I'm hopeful people will respect it.

Seems like pretty good conditions for the match. Here's hoping there's a few tries in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Basil3 wrote: »
    Seems like pretty good conditions for the match. Here's hoping there's a few tries in this one.

Had a really heavy downpour in last hour. Stopped now but surface and ball are going to be very wet.

Don't think the Lions are going to try and go too expansive. Game for defensive play and tight play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Spoiler alert for those watching later

Stuart Barnes will have annoyed the feck out of ye by about 10 minutes in with his inane babbling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

For anyone like me that's in work - you can listen to the game here http://talksport.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

Tuipulotu dropped last night for being late!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very inappropriate to have that silly war dance AFTER a minutes silence.

Good first hit

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

i know it's early days but 200% better already

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Brilliant defence by the Blues.

Nearly

Unlucky for Payne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Good start, nice defence by the Blues, well organised and patient.

Edit, and then they make a balls of running it, twice.

Advertisement