Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH PREVIEW & THREAD: B&I Lions vs NZ Provincial Baa-Baas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I have turned off the commentary on Sky and turned on RTE Radio and the radio is about 30 secs ahead of my stream and still its better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No injuries so far which is good. Despite the score some impressive performances from lesser squad players like Sinckler who has shown lovely hands and Moriarty who is getting over the gainline.

These guys are only off the plane 3 days.
    Be interesting to see how the Lions' fitness levels cope with the pace that the super sides play at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton has been poor. When the passes are sticking he's putting men into space. But so many are going to ground before they make it to the receiver. Joseph has been crap as well. Not making his tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Well, this is quite enjoyable actually, compared to the rabble of the Australian provincial sides in 2013, the NZ Baa-baas have some nice structure on attack and defence, albeit look a bit vulnerable out wide.

For the Lions, Sinckler and Teo have stood out (good) and Hogg (fairly awful).

But. How. Good. Has. The Baa-baas. Scrum. Been? Like a rock. Jager has made a couple of knock-ons round the field, but as a TH he can be mighty proud.

The Baa-Baas look like they are tiring, will need to roll out the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

testtech05 wrote: »
    Falateu teo and best playing pretty well but pretty awful besides that. Few bad errors from Hogg and Sexton too!!

Moriarty and Sinckler playing very well too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

At least 3 tries left out on the field in that first half.

Sexton is playing his way out of a test start at this rate too.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I love that hail mary from gatland... We don't see enough of that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Best good.
    Henderson mixed bag.
    Sexton will be lucky not to be put on the plane home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Laidlaw needs to be hooked ASAP. Slows everything down to a crawl. Impossible to get anything going when the defence has 5 seconds to reset at every ruck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Don't think anyone will play themselves into the test side today...but a few are looking to play themselves out of contention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    Sexton has been poor. When the passes are sticking he's putting men into space. But so many are going to ground before they make it to the receiver. Joseph has been crap as well. Not making his tackles.

Sexton has been poor but Laidlaw's passing is so slow. That doesn't excuse all Sexton's errors but it stopping the Lions getting momentum in attack. Maybe it's to be expected given most of the players haven't played together before.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Moriarty and Sinckler playing very well too

Moriarty been strong but a bit headless to be honest.
    Sexton put him through a good line but his link play is lacking.

Laidlaw needs to be hooked ASAP. Slows everything down to a crawl. Impossible to get anything going when the defence has 5 seconds to reset at every ruck.

It's awful IMO. NZ teams play at speed. Now I'm not saying the Lions need to try and copy NZ rugby, there are different strengths, but he takes an absolute age to clear at times. Just allows less talented sides like the Baa-baas the time to re-organise.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sexton has been poor but I don't think this game is really going to count for much regarding the tests, it's too early.

Laidlaw is poor but he's never getting near the tests anyway barring injury.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Dear Stuart Barnes,

Dublin is not in the U.K.

Regards,
    Ireland.

Are you not out doing the gardening molloy, or mowing the lawn?

Thought you had no interest in the Lions tour :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clegg wrote:
    sexton hasn't been fantastic but guys around him not helping him. Laidlaw terrible which isn't doing anything for us game.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I love that hail mary from gatland... We don't see enough of that these days.

I'm listening to commentary and they loved it too! "Old school" attacking bomb in the 22.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I'm listening to commentary and they loved it too! "Old school" attacking bomb in the 22.

Your boys did well this morning ;)

awec wrote: »
    Laidlaw is poor but he's never getting near the tests anyway barring injury.

Yeah but he is damaging the hopes of others. The media won't go to town on him because let's face it the Scots are pretty sensitive about the Lions at the moment but he just isn't giving his teammates a chance to get going. When you think of Gareth Davies and Richard Wigglesworth who aren't there...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The good:

Sexton
    T'eo
    Sinckler
    Faletau
    Best

The rest have been poor, the Scots especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Johnny with the customary knock.

.ak wrote: »
    The good:

Sexton
    T'eo
    Sinckler
    Faletau
    Best

Sexton has mixed good with very poor.

I wouldn't have him on that list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah Sexton has been far more bad than good.

Wee Greig knocks over a gimme.

We had a 5 on 1 and picked and goed in the last few min of the 1st. Laidlaw needs to listen to his 10 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some terrible passing from Johnnie

The good:

Sexton
    T'eo
    Sinckler
    Faletau
    Best

Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The good:

Sexton
    T'eo
    Sinckler
    Faletau
    Best

Nah, Sexton hasn't been good for me in first half, not being helped by Laidlaw who seems to be in a different timezone

Warburton has been rather anonymous

Aside from a missed penalty and missed cross field how has sexton been poor? Hes linking up well with teo and putting players thru space. Defending really well also. Think he's having a tidy game considering the ****e going on around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Think ak was just trying to see if everybody was paying attention when slipping in Sextons name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

swiwi_ wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Dear Stuart Barnes,

Dublin is not in the U.K.

Regards,
    Ireland.

Are you not out doing the gardening molloy, or mowing the lawn?

Thought you had no interest in the Lions tour :P

True to my word I didn't get up early to watch it. Had only just turned it on at that point.

Advertisement