Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK freeview channels in Ireland

• 01-06-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I have a question about getting the UK freeview channels in Ireland (north Dublin area)

I currently have my samsung smart tv set to the UK Region and its actually getting the full channel list for the uk!!! (incredible!!) and even the names of the programme currently playing!!!!
    but the signal is scrambled.

Could any technologically minded people out there advise how I unscramble this signal?
    I am not allowed to install a satellite as I live in an apartment run by a management company etc...

Is there an indoor aerial strong enough to get these channels, or perhaps a special decoder?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

Are you connected to an aerial or a wall connection, Was this channel list preloaded or did you do a scan, are you getting the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 spinningfan

Hi Decor
    No I had to set my tv to the uk region then scan for the channels using the cable broadcast system (wall connection)
    :)
    I get some saorview channels when I change the broadcast system from "cable" to "air" and connect the cats ears haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You find it incredible that the cable from your wall is a Virgin Cable Media Cable (DVB-C) ?

The DVB-C cable tuner that has the scrambled channels is of no use in Ireland. You need to get the proprietary receiver from Virgin and pay them to get those channels.

The UK channels are free to air, but you need a satellite box and dish to receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi all,
    I have a question about getting the UK freeview channels in Ireland (north Dublin area)

Is there an indoor aerial strong enough to get these channels, or perhaps a special decoder?

Indoor aerial from Dublin? Not a chance, you'd need good external (rooftop) aerial, a big one. Are there are rooftop aerials on houses near you pointing north or east?

STB. wrote: »
    You find it incredible that the cable from your wall is a Virgin Cable Media Cable (DVB-C) ?

The DVB-C cable tuner that has the scrambled channels is of no use in Ireland. You need to get the proprietary receiver from Virgin and pay them to get those channels.

The UK channels are free to air, but you need a satellite box and dish to receive them.

No need to be condescending. I was simply surprised that the tv was picking up the EPG for all the uk channels (freeview and subscription) without a box, and maybe thought that a satelitte dish would unscramble them without the need for a box.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Indoor aerial from Dublin? Not a chance, you'd need good external (rooftop) aerial, a big one. Are there are rooftop aerials on houses near you pointing north or east?

Not sure but i'll find out, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Don't bother with Freeview where you are, & anyway it's not like you'll be allowed install an anyway useful aerial if you supposedly can't have a satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

No need to be condescending. I was simply surprised that the tv was picking up the EPG for all the uk channels (freeview and subscription) without a box, and maybe thought that a satelitte dish would unscramble them without the need for a box.

Condescending ? I used your words !

You are not picking up freeview. Freeview is the aerial system used in the UK. Virgin (formally UPC) are rebroadcasting UK stations on their cable platform.

If you have a TV with a satellite tuner built in (most of the LG's have it built in) you will pick up the free UK stations, but you will need a satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

So been a year now watching freeview + saorview combined . Where getting freeview lite from Killeel with a little Ariel in attic ( no boaster )Have to say very happy with it . Just wondering is it possible to get full freeview ? We live in the east meath area . If anyone is on the area I'd be very interested to know how there getting on .

Advertisement