Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay (chocolate milk stout) in Offo

• 25-05-2017 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

As the thread says I'm looking to see if I can get my hands on a few bottles of Galway Bay buried at sea chocolate milk stout in an offo.

I live around Donaghmede so somewhere on the north side would be handy but not essential. It been a bit hit and miss, I've gotten it in Super value in Raheny before but no luck since then. I've also tried Martins offo in Fairview but no joy.

Just looking at something in another thread which says that they've discontinued doing the chocolate milk stout and it's just called milk stout, but I dunno I've tired the milk stout and I didn't find it to be the same. (Unless thats all in my head :p)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

McHugh's on Kilbarrack Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

BeerNut wrote: »
    McHugh's on Kilbarrack Road?

Good shout haven't been down there in a while but I find them very hit and miss sometimes with what the have to offer, any other suggestions if that doesn't pan out??

Sweeney's in Glasnevin or DrinkStore on Manor Street. I'm pretty sure I've seen Buried at Sea in some branches of SuperValu and Dunnes too.

Sweeney's in Glasnevin or DrinkStore on Manor Street. I'm pretty sure I've seen Buried at Sea in some branches of SuperValu and Dunnes too.

Yeah supervalue had it in Raheny and one stage but when I went back down it was all gone. Tried supervalue in Killester but they had even less choice than Raheny. Have to pass by Sweeney's tomorrow so i'll try pop in. Drink store on manor street might be a runner because I work in the city centre.

Martins in Fairview have it up on their website but I don't really wanna pay a delivery charge on 6 bottles. Do you know if I could order online and pick up in store?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Just looking at something in another thread which says that they've discontinued doing the chocolate milk stout and it's just called milk stout, but I dunno I've tired the milk stout and I didn't find it to be the same. (Unless thats all in my head :p)

Buried at Sea is now just a milk stout. It was the chocolate milk stout.

Lilac on Philipsburgh Avenue would usually have it.

• Advertisement

Do you know if I could order online and pick up in store?
    Just ring them and ask them to leave it aside for you.

Just ring them and ask them to leave it aside for you.

Was down there about a month ago and they didn't have any :(

L1011 wrote: »
    Buried at Sea is now just a milk stout. It was the chocolate milk stout.

Lilac on Philipsburgh Avenue would usually have it.

Sound I'll look into it, some of the websites still say chocolate milk stout so they must have it left over from before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sound I'll look into it, some of the websites still say chocolate milk stout so they must have it left over from before.

It was over a year ago, so its more likely they never changed the description.

L1011 wrote: »
    It was over a year ago, so its more likely they never changed the description.

Do you know if they've changed the recipe? Iv'e had the milk stout since but didn't find it as nice as the chocolate milk stout (It's probably in my head) out of interest any other chocolate stouts that people could recommend that are widely available.

On the subject of stouts the foxes rock is quite tasty and so is the Galway Bay stormy port. Can't stand Galway Hooker though, so I'd be open to other stouts to try as well.

• Advertisement

Do you know if they've changed the recipe? Iv'e had the milk stout since but didn't find it as nice as the chocolate milk stout (It's probably in my head) out of interest any other chocolate stouts that people could recommend that are widely available.

On the subject of stouts the foxes rock is quite tasty and so is the Galway Bay stormy port. Can't stand Galway Hooker though, so I'd be open to other stouts to try as well.

They have definitely changed the recipe.

Not a fan of anything Foxes Rock... for stouts I'd recommend either O'Haras but especially Leann Follain.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think that's the first negative comment I've ever seen about Galway Hooker stout. Personally I think it's a superb beer. Here's a few others for you to try:

Jack Cody's Hail Glorious St. Patrick (saw it in my local SuperValu the other day, so probably should be easily available)
    Williams Bros March of the Penguins
    Guinness Foreign Extra (available in Tesco)
    Yellowbelly Kangaroo Jack
    Guinness Antwerpen (also available in Tesco)
    And the aforementioned Leann Follain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Gideon Rapid Quirk

Left Hand Milk Stout is a lovely beer.

Zaph wrote: »
    I think that's the first negative comment I've ever seen about Galway Hooker stout. Personally I think it's a superb beer. Here's a few others for you to try:

Jack Cody's Hail Glorious St. Patrick (saw it in my local SuperValu the other day, so probably should be easily available)
    Williams Bros March of the Penguins
    Guinness Foreign Extra (available in Tesco)
    Yellowbelly Kangaroo Jack
    Guinness Antwerpen (also available in Tesco)
    And the aforementioned Leann Follain

Cheers for the suggestions I'll defo give them a try :). I've tried the Leann Follain on tap and I thought it was quite tasty.

With regards to Galway Hooker I dunno what it is, I don't like their Pale ale either I just can't seem to get a taste for their stuff, much prefer the Galway Bay brews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I checked a bottle out last night, the label on the back still says it has chocolate in it so it appears they might've just changed the front label? I bought a bottle to check it out anyway to see if there's any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yeah supervalue had it in Raheny and one stage but when I went back down it was all gone. Tried supervalue in Killester but they had even less choice than Raheny. Have to pass by Sweeney's tomorrow so i'll try pop in. Drink store on manor street might be a runner because I work in the city centre.

Martins in Fairview have it up on their website but I don't really wanna pay a delivery charge on 6 bottles. Do you know if I could order online and pick up in store?

The old Superquinn shops may be a better bet. The usually have Galway Bay beers on their 3 for €9 range.

The old Superquinn shops may be a better bet. The usually have Galway Bay beers on their 3 for €9 range.

U mean supervalue? Is there any old superquinn shops left :-/

U mean supervalue? Is there any old superquinn shops left :-/
    As in the ones that used to be Superquinns, rather the ones that were always SuperValu.

As in the ones that used to be Superquinns, rather the ones that were always SuperValu.

Ah right there Ted :), I honestly can't remember which ones used to be the Superquinn stores anymore. Must google it :p

Sutton, Blackrock, Ranelagh, Kimmage, Walkinstown: y'know, where the posh people live :D

• Advertisement

Sutton, Blackrock, Ranelagh, Kimmage, Walkinstown: y'know, where the posh people live :D

P ort
    O ut
    S tarboard
    H ome

:D

Jaaaaaaysus I guess you do learn something new everyday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Gideon Rapid Quirk

...Finglas, Ashtown...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

...Finglas, Ashtown...

Swords, Limerick, Tyrellstown, Blanch. Totes Knackeraguar roish :pac:

...Finglas, Ashtown...
    Swords, Limerick, Tyrellstown, Blanch. Totes Knackeraguar roish :pac:

Yizer all shams :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I think the Nitro version is vastly superior.

Another newer one I'd recommend is Brewdogs Occultist.

Advertisement