Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What toll tag company to use?

• 29-05-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hi

Irregular user but possibly upto 10-20 uses a year. Is it worth getting a tag as becoming a pain scrambling for change.

Could Android pay be used?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi

Irregular user but possibly upto 10-20 uses a year. Is it worth getting a tag as becoming a pain scrambling for change.

Could Android pay be used?

Thanks

Anyone?
    Can a mod switch to motors forum?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Android pay could be used because it is the same as using a card. This still means stopping at the toll booth though, versus flying through the express lane.

Whether or not you think its worth it depends on what value you put on convenience. Personally i go through about 5-10 tolls a week and i wouldnt be without a toll tag. I find it invaluable because i dont need to have any cash or cards on me and i can go through the toll at at least 50km instead of sitting in queues in the morning. (I just wish there was some sort of cap or loyalty scheme :) )

Eflow is one option, but it costs 1.23 a month to have the tag. you can choose an auto top up scenario or get a bill the following month. it works for all irish tolls as far as i know. The toll costs the indicated price, no surcharge. https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/open-an-account/

ParkMagic have a couple of options, one is the same as above, and they have two others which require buying the tag first. These plans also charge a 10% fee on top of your toll. For example: on one of their plans you buy the tag for 30 upfront, and you get 4.40 credit (so you could say the tag costs 25.60) and you pay 10% on top of each toll. https://bookings.parkmagic.net/MyAccount/Tolling/PaymentPlans#/

they call it a pay as you toll, but i think eflow is better value because 24 months of 1.23 is still less than the 30 upfront and there are no surcharges. after the first year you might need to reassess which tag company you go with.

EasyTrip are another provider, they seem to have much the same set up as eflow.

hopefully this helps you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We have eflow. Probably don't use it enough to justify it now (got them when I was going to passing a toll twice daily), but tbh wouldn't and haven't given it up due to the convenience. Also have a left hand drive camper, so no shimmying across to pay in that, even with no express lane. Across our three vehicles still not much more per month than a posh cuppa, plus the extra savings on the m50...

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Android pay could be used because it is the same as using a card. This still means stopping at the toll booth though, versus flying through the express lane.

Whether or not you think its worth it depends on what value you put on convenience. Personally i go through about 5-10 tolls a week and i wouldnt be without a toll tag. I find it invaluable because i dont need to have any cash or cards on me and i can go through the toll at at least 50km instead of sitting in queues in the morning. (I just wish there was some sort of cap or loyalty scheme :) )

Eflow is one option, but it costs 1.23 a month to have the tag. you can choose an auto top up scenario or get a bill the following month. it works for all irish tolls as far as i know. The toll costs the indicated price, no surcharge. https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/open-an-account/

ParkMagic have a couple of options, one is the same as above, and they have two others which require buying the tag first. These plans also charge a 10% fee on top of your toll. For example: on one of their plans you buy the tag for 30 upfront, and you get 4.40 credit (so you could say the tag costs 25.60) and you pay 10% on top of each toll. https://bookings.parkmagic.net/MyAccount/Tolling/PaymentPlans#/

they call it a pay as you toll, but i think eflow is better value because 24 months of 1.23 is still less than the 30 upfront and there are no surcharges. after the first year you might need to reassess which tag company you go with.

EasyTrip are another provider, they seem to have much the same set up as eflow.

hopefully this helps you decide.

Thanks.
    So eflow is just about €15 for the year plus the value of each toll. €15 is not bad for the convenience even if I only used it irregularly.

If you get a monthly bill can you just pay it online or is there an easy way to set it up?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    We have eflow. Probably don't use it enough to justify it now (got them when I was going to passing a toll twice daily), but tbh wouldn't and haven't given it up due to the convenience. Also have a left hand drive camper, so no shimmying across to pay in that, even with no express lane. Across our three vehicles still not much more per month than a posh cuppa, plus the extra savings on the m50...

Ya the convenience is handy. It is awkward fiddling for coins and then sometimes you throw the coins and you are still 10/20c short and you have to take off the seat belt to scramble for more change. If it is only €15 per year I will get it.

• Advertisement

If you get a monthly bill can you just pay it online or is there an easy way to set it up?
    iirc it's done through the card, online. It was a couple of years ago I did it though, converting from an M50 video account.

Just reading on the eflow site and it says....

Rapid passage through express lanes on certain Irish toll roads (excluding M1, M7 and N25)

Are those excluded?

Thanks.
    So eflow is just about €15 for the year plus the value of each toll. €15 is not bad for the convenience even if I only used it irregularly.

Youre very welcome. Yep in my opinion its well worth it!! If you select to pay the following month (which i think is the best option) you can pay either by Debit card, Credit card or Direct Debit so you have options.

Rapid passage through express lanes on certain Irish toll roads (excluding M1, M7 and N25)

Are those excluded?

No, I dont think so, the website indicates it can be used on the following :)

M50 Barrier-Free Toll
    M3 (Clonee – Kells)
    M4 (Kilcock – Enfield – Kinnegad)
    N6 (Galway – Ballinasloe)
    N8 (Rathcormac – Fermoy Bypass)
    Limerick Tunnel
    East-Link Bridge
    Dublin Port Tunnel
    M1 (Drogheda)
    M7/M8 (Portlaoise)
    N25 (Waterford)

https://www.eflow.ie/why-eflow/how-it-works/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eFlow works fine on the M7 etc.. I think that might be a section that wasn't deleted again after their row with one of the toll operators last year.

I have eFlow myself and prefer it for the single monthly billing rather than needing to mess about with top-ups, credit, or random direct debits when a threshold is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The €1.23 (incl VAT) monthly 'admin' charge seems to be common across eflow and easytrip but what bugs me about easytrip is that they also slap a 'credit card handling fee' (another €1.23) on you every time there's an auto top-up when you go below a threshold.

I thought I could avoid this charge by switching the account to a debit card instead and guess what? Yes, there's even an 'debit card handling fee' (0.62) for using a debit card.

If you have a billpay a/c with eflow and pay the bill every month by DD, is there any charge beyond the basic €1.23 monthly fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

coylemj wrote: »
    The €1.23 (incl VAT) monthly 'admin' charge seems to be common across eflow and easytrip but what bugs me about easytrip is that they also slap a 'credit card handling fee' (another €1.23) on you every time there's an auto top-up when you go below a threshold.

I thought I could avoid this charge by switching the account to a debit card instead and guess what? Yes, there's even an 'debit card handling fee' (0.62) for using a debit card.

If you have a billpay a/c with eflow and pay the bill every month by DD, is there any charge beyond the basic €1.23 monthly fee?

Been using it for 3 years now. No charge with e-flow other than the 1.23.

coylemj wrote: »

Nope, It hits my credit card every month and there is no fee beyond the tolls themselves and the 1.23 lease fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Are those excluded?

They had a dispute last summer that almost meant they weren't accepted, but it was resolved before any disruption happened.

Looks like they haven't updated their website since though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Which motorways do you use? All motorways cost the same whether paying by tag or cash bar the M50. Make a return journey once per month on the M50 and that's the tag cost of €1.23 made back in savings over cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Against my better judgement going to be making a more trips to Dublin (prob every 2 to 3 weeks rather than the 2 - 3 times a year previously) so just wondering would people still think eflow is the best option?

Still have mine, even though the campervan is gone! I haven't seen a reason to move from eflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Signpost wrote: »
    Against my better judgement going to be making a more trips to Dublin (prob every 2 to 3 weeks rather than the 2 - 3 times a year previously) so just wondering would people still think eflow is the best option?

Still an eflow user myself, still using it regularly, still far happier with a single monthly bill than topping up nonsense or irregular direct debits.

Advertisement