Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

• 13-05-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

New thread to discuss new coaching set ups/rumours as well as transfer rumours etc now that IRFU have started releasing stories on coaching changes.

Divisions for next season:
    Division 1A
    Buccaneers, Clontarf, Cork Con, Garryowen, Lansdowne, St Marys, Terenure, Trinity, UCD, Young Munster

Division 1B
    Ballymena, Ballynahinch, Banbridge, Dolphin, Naas, Old Belvedere, Old Wesley, Shannon, UCC, UL Bohs

Division 2A
    Armagh, Blackrock, Cashel, Corinthians, Galwegians, Greystones, Highfield, Malone, Nenagh, Queens

Division 2B
    Belfast Harlequins, City Of Derry, Dungannon, MU Barnhall, Navan, Old Crescent, Rainey Old Boys, Skerries, Sundays Well, Wanderers

Division 2C
    Bangor, Bective Rangers, Bruff, Malahide, Midleton, Omagh, Seapoint, Sligo, Thomond, Tullamore

IRFU announced at end of last season that the existing league structure will remain in place until at least the end of the 2017/18 season so we should have some changes made to structure. Already a lot of rumours going round like regional divisions below top 2 divisions.

Coaching changes/updates
    - Willie Faloon new head coach in Armagh and he will be assisted by Chris Parker and David Eakin.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/39769
    - Alex McCoy who was head coach in Armagh is now an assistant coach in Ballymena withJohn Nicholl, Gareth Fisher and Bryan Young and their head coach is Andy Graham http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/39713
    - Tom Hayes will continue to coach Shannon having taking in January of this season. He will be joined by the recently retired David O Donovan. http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/39715

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Nicky Wells leaving Ballymena to become head coach at Belfast Harlequins

Neil Doak head coach at Queens with Lewis Stevenson as assistant coach/player, Richie McMaster and John Creighton rumoured to be joining from Ballymena

Brian McLaughlin head coach at Ballynahinch

Ricky Andrew is leaving Rainey OB as a player/coach to become a player/head coach of Valencia in Spain.

John Andress a player coach at Instonians apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Charlie Rock to Lansdowne from Belvo

Greg Jones to Banbridge from UCD-part of dev contract move to Ulster

Eric O'Sullivan to Banbridge from Trinity-part of dev contract move to Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Charlie Rock to Lansdowne from Belvo

Greg Jones to Banbridge from UCD-part of dev contract move to Ulster

Eric O'Sullivan to Banbridge from Trinity-part of dev contract move to Ulster

Is the Rock move purely because all Academy players have to play in 1A?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

looking forward to Division 1b, it will be tasty and very competitive.

Is Eddie O'Sullivan staying with Belvo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    looking forward to Division 1b, it will be tasty and very competitive.

Is Eddie O'Sullivan staying with Belvo?
    Ye apparently it has been confirmed internally at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is the Rock move purely because all Academy players have to play in 1A?
    Ideally all would play 1A but i would be surprised that their is anything saying all leinster academy players have to be with a 1A club. Even with their being 6 dublin clubs in 1A. An academy player playing their club rugby with Wesley, Belvedere wouldnt be held back that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kelvin Browne is returning home from France so will probably be picked up by an AIL club, more than likely Shannon.

Is the free movement transfer deadline 01 June or July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Is the free movement transfer deadline 01 June or July?

June 1st

Stainalert wrote: »
    June 1st
    Cheers, hopefully start finding out some transfers soon so.

• Advertisement

Tarf1234 wrote:
    Cheers, hopefully start finding out some transfers soon so.
    now this is where the provinces and irfu could be better. The list of transfers could be published. It's been done before so no reason for it not to be done.

now this is where the provinces and irfu could be better. The list of transfers could be published. It's been done before so no reason for it not to be done.
    Ye, I never understood why they stopped doing it. I wonder if it has anything to do with data protection.

OLD Crescent RFC have announced a new senior coaching management structure for next season

Brendan Guilfoyle will take over from Joe Nix as Head Coach for the 2017/2018 season.

Eugene McGovern and Brian Tuohy will continue in their roles as Director of Rugby and Backs Coach to the Old Crescent senior team for next term.

2016/17 ULSTER BANK LEAGUE AWARDS SHORTLIST:

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/39776.php#.WRwTMOsrLGg

phog wrote: »
    Kelvin Browne is returning home from France so will probably be picked up by an AIL club, more than likely Shannon.

Former Irish U-20 star Kelvin Brown swaps Aurillac for Shannon

phog wrote: »
    Kind of odd move if he's looking to go pro. Shannon really need to sort themselves out and get back in 1A or these young guys will eventually stop going/staying there.

Ye, I never understood why they stopped doing it. I wonder if it has anything to do with data protection.
    Who knows but would love to get reason why it isnt done anymore
    Kind of odd move if he's looking to go pro. Shannon really need to sort themselves out and get back in 1A or these young guys will eventually stop going/staying there.
    Putting his education first though which isnt that odd especially as he's young enough to go abroad after he finishes the degree.
    Shannon wont get themselves to 1A unless they change a few things. Many of the Limerick clubs dont have the joys of attracting the very best from a lot of local clubs any more with
    Nenagh, Bruff, Cashel all senior. Richmond have been senior in this time. Clonmel going very strong. In past all the best players from these clubs would have played in Limerick city. Only have to look to AIL winning sides from Limerick clubs and see influence of players from these clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Who knows but would love to get reason why it isnt done anymore

Putting his education first though which isnt that odd especially as he's young enough to go abroad after he finishes the degree.
    Shannon wont get themselves to 1A unless they change a few things. Many of the Limerick clubs dont have the joys of attracting the very best from a lot of local clubs any more with
    Nenagh, Bruff, Cashel all senior. Richmond have been senior in this time. Clonmel going very strong. In past all the best players from these clubs would have played in Limerick city. Only have to look to AIL winning sides from Limerick clubs and see influence of players from these clubs.
    Shannon have been experimenting with a younger age set for the last 3 seasons and are getting there gradually,traditionally they got players from the clubs mentioned as did the other Limerick sides in the glory days the AIL but that hasn't benn the case for awhile so they have had to re develop their youth structure but it takes time,Tom Hayes is doing a good job there this could be their year for the push on...

I didn't mean going back to college as I can completely understand that. Surely if he want's to go pro at the end of his course having 2 years of 1A would be preferential to 1B. I hope Shannon can turn the corner and get back in 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

With all the rumours and chat going on I have just a few questions/observations.
    I was talking to a senior guy in Leinster Academy and he said that they have the smallest number of contracted academy players in the island. They also said that if they are not in the senior squad come monday they are released for a whole week to their clubs. However he also did say that they had an abundance of a) catchment and b) big clubs within Leinster to rely on. With the influx of contracts handed to Leinster guys from Ulster is it a case of they are taking the cast offs?

From this my question is as follows. In Ulster I have seen the like of Hinch being given player sto play who have either played on a Friday and got 10mins on a bench or not played at all. When do those clubs know they are getting this player? how much of the coaches system does this player know? Is it fair to throw in a player last minute? Also do the provinces get to say you have to play player X in this game and in this position and for this period of time?
    Its a grey area that I just can not get my head around.

• Advertisement

Braken wrote: »
    Shannon have been experimenting with a younger age set for the last 3 seasons and are getting there gradually,traditionally they got players from the clubs mentioned as did the other Limerick sides in the glory days the AIL but that hasn't benn the case for awhile so they have had to re develop their youth structure but it takes time,Tom Hayes is doing a good job there this could be their year for the push on...
    They have been bringing through younger players which is good. Theyre getting some from schools who may be back from having played with minis.
    Will they push on?
    I didn't mean going back to college as I can completely understand that. Surely if he want's to go pro at the end of his course having 2 years of 1A would be preferential to 1B. I hope Shannon can turn the corner and get back in 1A.
    Maybe but he's back to his home club. May not want to go to Munsters..
    $ausage$ wrote: »
    With all the rumours and chat going on I have just a few questions/observations.
    I was talking to a senior guy in Leinster Academy and he said that they have the smallest number of contracted academy players in the island. They also said that if they are not in the senior squad come monday they are released for a whole week to their clubs. However he also did say that they had an abundance of a) catchment and b) big clubs within Leinster to rely on. With the influx of contracts handed to Leinster guys from Ulster is it a case of they are taking the cast offs?

From this my question is as follows. In Ulster I have seen the like of Hinch being given player sto play who have either played on a Friday and got 10mins on a bench or not played at all. When do those clubs know they are getting this player? how much of the coaches system does this player know? Is it fair to throw in a player last minute? Also do the provinces get to say you have to play player X in this game and in this position and for this period of time?
    Its a grey area that I just can not get my head around.
    Clubs ideally know early in week or at least early enough to have player at training for second pitch session of week
    Players, who're pro, will ideally know plenty on the clubs "system" as they'll have been member and played with/trained with club at some stage.

Eddie O'Sullivan has been confirmed as Head Coach to Old Belvedere for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

James Hickey head coach Thomond RFC season17/18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

<snip> need to check my sources

Ed Rossiter captain of Old Belvedere next season

Jack Power has signed with Munster I believe

Stainalert wrote: »
    Ed Rossiter captain of Old Belvedere next season

Jack Power has signed with Munster I believe
    Hadn't heard that about Jack. Would be sorry to see him go.

Hadn't heard that about Jack. Would be sorry to see him go.

Good player

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Banbridge signings - Toby Baxter, Michael Lowry, Jordan Mount, Ross Cartmill, James Hume, Jason Gribben and Ben Thompson.[/font]

Connacht Senior League fixtures published
    19/8/17
    Corinthians v Buccaneers, Sligo v Galwegians
    26/8/17
    Buccaneers v Sligo, Corinthians v Galwegians
    2/9/17
    Buccaneers v Galwegians, Sligo v Corinthians

• Advertisement

Ards arent senior anymore but interesting to see they have joined resources with Regent House school to get Former Scotland & Northampton captain Budge Pountney as coach/development officer.
    This follows Regis Sonnes ex bordeaux coach who moved to Cork and worked with Bandon RFC and Badon Grammar school at the start of last season

Advertisement