Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Geography and English Teacher

Options
  • 27-05-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello I am interested in doing arts at UCD for geography and English, and then doing the hdip to do secondary teaching. I was wondering if English and geography is a realistic combination for a secondary teacher, I suppose it's a bit of an odd combination so I'm concerned it could ruin job prospects? If this is the case I could always do geography with history since I also love history (although I wasn't able to do it for the leaving cert due to timetabling so I have concerns about doing it). Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

.. we've 2 teachers in our school with the same combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Shannon211 wrote: »
    Hello I am interested in doing arts at UCD for geography and English, and then doing the hdip to do secondary teaching. I was wondering if English and geography is a realistic combination for a secondary teacher, I suppose it's a bit of an odd combination so I'm concerned it could ruin job prospects? If this is the case I could always do geography with history since I also love history (although I wasn't able to do it for the leaving cert due to timetabling so I have concerns about doing it). Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

English probably stronger than history as it is a core subject. We have one with that combo in our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

For the love of god avoid History and Geography. I teach both and they are so over subscribed.
    If at all possible do Irish and you will walk into the job of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shannon211

Thanks for the replies!! It's nice to know there are teachers with that combo in schools, since I don't know any in mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shannon211

For the love of god avoid History and Geography. I teach both and they are so over subscribed.
    If at all possible do Irish and you will walk into the job of your choice.
    Thank you for the caution! I think I'll go for English and geography, I unfortunately don't do Irish since I'm exempt from it, and I don't like any of my other subjects enough to spend my life teaching them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PLEASE have a realistic idea of the jobs situation before you commit a number of years and lots of money to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

We actually have 3 teachers here with that combo of subjects...and I am not in a big school !! I would say its a decent enough combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emily_123

In my school there were also 3 teachers with this combination although I must say that there is A LOT of teachers doing geography so that one is a bit oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its a good combo as its a major subject and minor one. Good people will always get recognised and land jobs and converse is also true.

Advertisement