Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI and a high level of sport

• 24-05-2017 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm still at school doing a levels and having a serious think about joining the PSNI. I am from a catholic background and currently play at a high level of Gaelic football. I have serious aspirations to go on and play senior county football. I know that you can't discuss exact shift times but would like to know if I would have the time to train several evenings a week and play games at the weekend. I have always wanted to join the PSNI but at the same time love playing sport. I know there are quite a few occasions that you would have to miss training and all of that but can you work your shifts around it, e.g. doing night shifts all the time or early morning shifts? just like to know if anyone else has a situation like this? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

I'm still at school doing a levels and having a serious think about joining the PSNI. I am from a catholic background and currently play at a high level of Gaelic football. I have serious aspirations to go on and play senior county football. I know that you can't discuss exact shift times but would like to know if I would have the time to train several evenings a week and play games at the weekend. I have always wanted to join the PSNI but at the same time love playing sport. I know there are quite a few occasions that you would have to miss training and all of that but can you work your shifts around it, e.g. doing night shifts all the time or early morning shifts? just like to know if anyone else has a situation like this? Thanks.
    Welcome to the board ! I too recently completed my a levels and will be applying in the next campaign. I wouldn't rule out not playing sport, I know an officer who plays for a football team however he would miss a number of training sessions and matches due to shift work. I would encourage you to apply in the next campaign whether you aren't sure if you want to apply or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

You can certainly still play sport and even better, play in the police teams. (They get time off to play!) however when it comes to training you'll probably find it tough to make all sessions. Quite simply, shift work is what it is, it's unsociable and gets in the way of family life. You could apply for flexible working to accommodate it but I highly doubt it would be accepted as it's not for family reasons etc.

No harm in applying anyway. Don't let it put you off

Advertisement