Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016-17 PRO12 Final buildup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,922 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So you can't use the seat map to get an idea of how many sold, or can I just not see the option? I'll be going anyway, admittedly bought the tickets in anticipation of Leinster making it. Munster should be able to overpower Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭phog

Owens confirmed as the ref for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

phog wrote: »
    Owens confirmed as the ref for Saturday

Guarantee that some Scarlets fan will still complain about him being a Pro12 ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Guarantee that some Scarlets fan will still complain about him being a Pro12 ref

No joke, I've seen him referred to as "Nigel O'Wens" more than a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,555 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/scarlets-general_forum1.html

Scarlets side of things, they think they have it won and munster are a limited team.

They dont seem to be happy with Owens being Ref. Why not an neutral ref ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote:
    what neutral ref do you get? Do you pick Marius as beat of italians? Which Scottish ref??
    He's one of the top5 refs in the world and his nationality shouldn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Welsh are never happy so there's no point pandering to them. After the Munster match they were screaming CONSPIRACY after a game reffed by an RFU official born in Pontypool.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,555 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

what neutral ref do you get? Do you pick Marius as beat of italians? Which Scottish ref??
    He's one of the top5 refs in the world and his nationality shouldn't come into it.

Wayne Barnes or another English guy ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

PTH2009 wrote:
    Wayne Barnes or another English guy ???
    Owens is best ref around and league should have it's best ref doing its premier game of the season. There is no way you can say Owens or any ref at this level will be biased. Theres nothing for them to gain from being biased. They only suffer long term if they're seen to be biased

The MRSC organised two buses to the final, they were fully booked in a matter of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/scarlets-general_forum1.html

Scarlets side of things, they think they have it won and munster are a limited team.

Jesus, those blokes are nutters.
    Oi, nuttahs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Scarlets
    Oi, nuttahs!

There's a few knowledgeable posters in there though, read a few comments that are pretty spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair to scarlets fans, they're consistent on not liking Owens. I lurk on there a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Neil Francis
    Its not bias that a lot of Scarlets (and other Welsh fans to be fair) complain about its that Owens lets a lot go, taking players out beyond ruck, blocking runners, and loose interpretations around the breakdown. Its been a historical thing that Munster have been perceived to get the rub of the green from Owens in matches and not just against Welsh opposition (have seen the very same comments on Leicester fan forums in the past).

Anyway I digress, read through the scarletfever thread on the match and they seem to have pretty much nailed the task ahead for them. They need a fast aggressive defense in the tight areas whilst at same time getting quick ball for themselves for what is obviously a more creative backline to have space to work in before the Munster rush defence creates mistakes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Oi, nuttahs!

Ah we're all nutters.

I don't have a problem with Owens (though he's not as good as he used to be) though the optics of it aren't exactly fantastic. I wouldn't doubt the impartiality of any ref really - they have a job to do and are assessed based on how well they do it after all - but there is a reason you get neutral refs for internationals all the same.

Anyhoos, Scarlets are on quite the run of form - after the Leinster match I'm giving up on making predictions or pronouncements. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,922 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Owens (though he's not as good as he used to be) though the optics of it aren't exactly fantastic. I wouldn't doubt the impartiality of any ref really - they have a job to do and are assessed based on how well they do it after all - but there is a reason you get neutral refs for internationals all the same.

Fairly sure in Rugby Championship down south they don't always have neutral refs anymore. I can definitely remember NZ refs reffing NZ before anyway.

Evans free to play
    Tony Leen‏ @tonyleen

@scarlets_rugby's Steff Evans free to play in Pro12 final after being cleared by hearing. @Munsterrugby

Highly unusual to allow him play

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Red card has been rescinded. So I guess its not unusual if the ruling is that it was wrong to red card him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Scarlets
    Evans free to play

Highly unusual to allow him play

The red card was rescinded according to the BBC.

If Leinster had won that game I guarantee that red card would have stood...

• Advertisement

More on Evans
    david kelly‏ @dk3lly

"decided, by a majority, that the Player undertook a lawful tackle in a manner that was consistent with the laws of the game."

If Leinster had won that game I guarantee that red card would have stood...

That's more or less what I meant when I said highly unusual to allow him play. If they upheld the citing then he would have received a ban.

Anyway, for the player himself I'm happy that to gets to play in the final.

More on Evans

It absolutely was not a lawful tackle. They're completely mad.

A yellow card I can completely accept, but that was a clear tip tackle and ringrose landed past the horizontal without a shadow of a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That is an utter disgrace and makes a complete mockery of the game. Munster should be rightfully very upset if he stars and they lose.

It's a throwback to a few years ago when the unions used turn a blind eye to anything untoward in an interpro.

Ringrose could have had a very serious injury. Completely unintentional but completely deserved red card.

Taken From MFs
    A Disciplinary Panel convened in Edinburgh this morning to consider the red card decision against Steff Evans (No 11) of Scarlets under Law 10.4 (e) - Dangerous Tackling.

The incident occurred during Scarlets' Guinness PRO12 Semi-Final against Leinster Rugby at the RDS Arena on Friday, May 19 when referee Marius Mitrea deemed the player to have committed an act of foul play against an opponent player (No 13).

The Disciplinary Panel - Roddy Dunlop QC (Chair), Roddy MacLeod and Iain Leslie (all Scotland) - decided, by a majority, that the Player undertook a lawful tackle in a manner that was consistent with the laws of the game.

The tackle only became dangerous as a result of the intervention of Scarlets No 3 (Samson Lee). The Panel having directed itself under reference to the decision of the Appeal Committee in Ross Ford and Jonny Gray (RWC 2015) decided, by a majority, that this meant that the red card should be rescinded.

The player is therefore free to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I could somewhat understand no ban to be honest - the punishment out was fairly severe and the incident was more unfortunate than anything else. They're completely wrong to say it wasn't a red card offense by their own criteria though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bottom line is a player got dropped on his head and there's no suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scarlets
    They've stated that it was Samson Lee joining the tackle that led to the tip.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I can see where they are coming from. Evans himself did nothing illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Scarlets

It's Evans left arm that does the lifting. Maybe Lee contributes to the momentum of Ringrose hitting the deck, but it's Evans who puts him in the air.

He's incredibly lucky.

Advertisement