Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant based diet is the smart choice for MS ,cardiovascular disease & cancer patients

• 21-05-2017 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

What is the view of other board users on this presentation from Dr. Conor Kerley on Nutrition and Lifestyle Strategies to Combat MS.
    It was hosted by MS Ireland on Thursday, 17th November and featuring a panel of MS experts.
    In the presentation he claims that a plant based diet is the smart choice for MS ,cardiovascular disease & cancer patients.
    If what he says is true how come we don't hear more of this information from our doctors.
    Conor Kerly seems to be a credible source of information , he is chairperson of the Scientific and Research Steering Group of the Irish Nutrition and Dietetics Institute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

TBH I think its good in theory but harder to put into practice. I think you would need to see a dietitian (not a nutritionist!) and actually work out a proper plan. Meat is such an easy source of protein and a great source of iron. I think there is a massive gap in knowledge and referrals to dietitians for MS etc.

A relative with MS has gone plant based and gluten free and its doing feck all for him but it might work for others. MS is such a varied thing it is hard to know. Though i remember years ago my husband raised it with a woman from the MS society and she replied "MS is so hard to deal with in the first place why deny yourself the pleasure of food" and at the time it was hard to disagree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My diet is rich in wine and crisps. but I haven't relapsed since 2009 , so should my diet be " the cure"? A balanced diet with as little processed food makes sense , not the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joefromireland

My diet is rich in wine and crisps. but I haven't relapsed since 2009 , so should my diet be " the cure"? A balanced diet with as little processed food makes sense , not the above.

The lecture was hosted by MS Ireland so if the claims made are based in fact, it would be tragic even just one person was not to bother checking out this lecture and changing their diet and perhaps avoid ending up in a wheelchair because they have been told the above video does not make sense.

The most important research on diet and MS is by Professor Roy Swank He found that MS followed the consumption of saturated fat and was lower among people who ate fish . He done a 34-year, 150-patient study starting in 1949 which was published in the Lancet in 1990, it showed that people who stuck to a diet very low in saturated fats had dramatically better health outcomes than those who did not.

There is a lot evidence to say that a low fat diet is very helpful for people with MS watch the videos

Advertisement