Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RDS

• 20-05-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭

I wouldnt be a major Rugby fan but I was wondering instead of Leinster Rugby redeveloping the RDS just with two partners instead has there being any consideration bringing Dublin GAA in on a ground share to the RDS I am sure the horse show could be designed in to the ground and the rugby/gaa could manage as dublin would only really need it for the league. Otherwise Dublin will eventually build a second stadium themselfs instead of everyone getting together and bring practical

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A GAA pitch is 130-145m long, and 80-90m wide. A championship pitch would be 145m. A rugby pitch is 120m max including in-goal areas, and 70m wide. Unless you have movable stands it would be unworkable, regardless of whether a GAA pitch would even fit into the footprint available between existing buidlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Zzippy wrote: »
    A GAA pitch is 130-145m long, and 80-90m wide. A championship pitch would be 145m. A rugby pitch is 120m max including in-goal areas, and 70m wide. Unless you have movable stands it would be unworkable, regardless of whether a GAA pitch would even fit into the footprint available between existing buidlings.

You don't have to have Croke park size pitchs for games as there are plenty of county grounds that have way smaller pitches. Besides if pitch size is an issue we may forget about the WRC bid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

roadmaster wrote: »
    You don't have to have Croke park size pitchs for games as there are plenty of county grounds that have way smaller pitches. Besides if pitch size is an issue we may forget about the WRC bid

For hurling you really do need the larger pitch. Even the smaller county grounds are rarely below 137m long and 85m wide. Why would pitch size be an issue for the RWC? All the GAA grounds pencilled in will easily fit a rugby pitch. If it was the other way round we'd have problems. The RDS has a lot of existing infrastructure that must be borne in mind when designing a new stadium. If you design it to fit a GAA pitch then the stands will be a long way back from the pitch for rugby games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

The county board have bought the Spawell in Templeogue now..Two different stories floating around. 1. Stadium for 10-20,000 people. 2. Training and Development Centre for all of the Dublin Football and Hurling teams Adult and Development ages. So no point trying to do a deal with the RDS (money is spent). I get what you are saying and even at a smaller scale I think why GAA and Rugby clubs come together on Projects and share resources and finances instead of going alone to the brink of owing the banks millions!!

i dont know i just think its crazy going developing another two separate stadiums when one 25/30 k size one could be built that would suit all and not be wasting money because no matter what happens somehow probably via the national lottery public funds will be used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I wouldnt be a major Rugby fan but I was wondering instead of Leinster Rugby redeveloping the RDS just with two partners instead has there being any consideration bringing Dublin GAA in on a ground share to the RDS I am sure the horse show could be designed in to the ground and the rugby/gaa could manage as dublin would only really need it for the league. Otherwise Dublin will eventually build a second stadium themselfs instead of everyone getting together and bring practical
    I dont think its needed. Horse Show wouldnt want too much going on in summer and having all share may seem to be more practical on paper but i dont think a GAA pitch would fit in the RDS.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    A rugby pitch can be 140 metres long if the dead ball is extended to its fullest(they can be 22m long at each end)
    The county board have bought the Spawell in Templeogue now..Two different stories floating around. 1. Stadium for 10-20,000 people. 2. Training and Development Centre for all of the Dublin Football and Hurling teams Adult and Development ages. So no point trying to do a deal with the RDS (money is spent). I get what you are saying and even at a smaller scale I think why GAA and Rugby clubs come together on Projects and share resources and finances instead of going alone to the brink of owing the banks millions!!
    In plenty of areas clubs do get together but very hard to get clubs to work together like this in most cases

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Rds is a redevelopment, the grandstand and the Anglesey are too close together to fit a gaa pitch width.

Parts of the anglesey is a protected structure which must be maintained. Therefore the pitch can't be widened to fit gaa unless you demolish the grandstand which isn't going to be touched at the moment.

Making the ground suitable for gaa is only an extra expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Just for clarification its not Leinster Rugby redeveloping the RDS, they are a tenant and it is the RDS themselves that will fund and complete the development.

Leinster rugby will receive the benefit of the redevelopment and presumably have to pay increased rent and sign a longer contract to continue playing there.

Just for clarification its not Leinster Rugby redeveloping the RDS, they are a tenant and it is the RDS themselves that will fund and complete the development.

Leinster rugby will receive the benefit of the redevelopment and presumably have to pay increased rent and sign a longer contract to continue playing there.

Ah I taught Leinster where going in partnership with the RDS on costs, so will they just sign a 10 year lease or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah I taught Leinster where going in partnership with the RDS on costs, so will they just sign a 10 year lease or so?
    RDS are paying for it

Leinster have about 10 years left on the current lease I believe. I'm not sure if there is an agreement to increase costs or anything like that, the RDS may sell naming rights to fund part of it or something along those lines. The RDS obviously wouldn't do it if they weren't confident of it being profitable for them in some way.

• Advertisement

RDS are paying for it

Leinster have about 10 years left on the current lease I believe. I'm not sure if there is an agreement to increase costs or anything like that, the RDS may sell naming rights to fund part of it or something along those lines. The RDS obviously wouldn't do it if they weren't confident of it being profitable for them in some way.

I believe there was a break clause after the first 10 years of the current lease that Leinster were threatening to activate.

Also Leinster agreed to cooperate fully with the search for a naming partner for the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Where would this extra space come from? The RDS is surrounded by roads and river on all sides with the RDS itself on one side. There is no space to extend the playing surface anywhere without massive civic redevelopment of the entire area

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Where would this extra space come from? The RDS is surrounded by roads and river on all sides with the RDS itself on one side. There is no space to extend the playing surface anywhere without massive civic redevelopment of the entire area

You could fit it in if you rotated the pitch 90 degrees but it would take a redevelopment of the entire RDS, not just the stadium portion.

awec wrote: »
    Bridge93 wrote: »

You could fit it in if you rotated the pitch 90 degrees but it would take a redevelopment of the entire RDS, not just the stadium portion.
    Could you rotate the pitch 90 degrees and have a pitch without knocking down the protected elements of the Anglesey?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Could you rotate the pitch 90 degrees and have a pitch without knocking down the protected elements of the Anglesey?

Ah it's obviously never going to happen. It would be a massive remodel of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If I recall correctly, the Anglesea isn't protected. That was a myth that gathered steam some years ago.

The only protected elements of the RDS are the main building and the clocktower, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dublin GAA more than likely won't want to bother with a shared stadium. Between league games and championship the organisation to manage the pitches and reline them with less than 24 hour turnaround sometimes after a rugby match would be more hassle than they'd care for.

They're not exactly stuck for cash either so the financial aspect of it wouldn't be a huge push.

And also, would the locals really be welcoming to GAA heads in their area ;)

Buer wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the Anglesea isn't protected. That was a myth that gathered steam some years ago.

The only protected elements of the RDS are the main building and the clocktower, I think.

The Anglesea will be protected by the blue blood of Leinster ultras if you and your ilk ever try to take her from us, northsider. Never, never, never.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »

To get a bit technical....

If any structure on a site is "protected" third automatically conveys a similar protected status on everything "within the curtilage" of this structure, from a planning point of view.
    So in effect, everything on the site is protected in the planners eyes.
    This obviously doesn't mean that development can't be carried out, just that systems within the planning structure are activated.

The Anglesea will be protected by the blue blood of Leinster ultras if you and your ilk ever try to take her from us, northsider. Never, never, never.

I can see it now. A bunch of Ross O'Carroll Kelly types throwing smoked salmon at the howaya types who retort by throwing breakfast rolls.

Ibf: "Oh roysh, you dirty person from the northside. I hear your father sells the Avon and that you are the first of your name!"

Buer: "Arraa heyurrr ya bleedin t'ick! yer nuttin' but a fookin banker!".

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I can see it now. A bunch of Ross O'Carroll Kelly types throwing smoked salmon at the howaya types who retort by throwing breakfast rolls.

Ibf: "Oh roysh, you dirty person from the northside. I hear your father sells the Avon and that you are the first of your name!"

Buer: "Arraa heyurrr ya bleedin t'ick! yer nuttin' but a fookin banker!".

It won't be 5 minutes before Buer is along to tell us that I'm from Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

IBF, sure you're from..

Edit: Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/guinness-pro14/decision-looms-on-rds-project-36149967.html
    • Laya look like the sponsors
    • Planning permission secured
    • Awaiting government funding - Probably dependent on RWC 2023 bid given the dates in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Would imagine all the money will go to the RDS with the main benefit to Leinster being the additional seating although I imagine a revised rent rate will be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Anyone know what the plans are during construction? Home games at a different venue, or just seal off the Anglesea for a season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

impr0v wrote: »
    Anyone know what the plans are during construction? Home games at a different venue, or just seal off the Anglesea for a season?

I'd imagine they'll start it the second that the season finishes (or possibly a few weeks before and play and playoff games (if applicable) in the Aviva and prey that they're done by the end of the year.

Realistically they aren't a huge amount of games that sell out in the first half of the season anyway

Ravenhill was a significantly bigger job and that was done in a season (I think)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd imagine they'll start it the second that the season finishes (or possibly a few weeks before and play and playoff games (if applicable) in the Aviva and prey that they're done by the end of the year.

Realistically they aren't a huge amount of games that sell out in the first half of the season anyway

Ravenhill was a significantly bigger job and that was done in a season (I think)

Ravenhill was phased over a number of seasons. They built the stand with the boxes first (the side that the cameras are on). They then built the two end stands which added to the capacity before demolishing and rebuilding the main stand.

The problem of course is that would mean that the stands are closed for the showjumping. The showjumping of course is prime in the eyes of the rds powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I believe the building needs to done without affecting The Horse Show so can't start until late August. I'm sure some clever arranging of fixtures and moving the odd game to Lansdowne could give them a few months to demolish the Anglesea stand and get some of the building works done without the RDS being used for any games.

• Advertisement

Didn't Leinster say a while ago that Anglesea season ticket holders would be moved to other areas of the ground temporarily, specifically the north and south stands?

It'll be interesting to see how they do it because surely the number of season ticket holders in the anglesea + the terrace is greater than the number of empty seats available each week in the north and south, so who is going to miss out?

Advertisement