Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

• 26-03-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

Hulu's new show staring the always great Elisabeth Moss.

Starts April 26, 2017.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first three episodes are out now on Hulu.

I watched the pilot and I have to say it's one of the strongest pilots I've seen in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The first three episodes are out now on Hulu.

I watched the pilot and I have to say it's one of the strongest pilots I've seen in a long long time.

I'm reading the book at the moment before I start watching it (also I might wait until a lot of the shows I watch finish their current seasons next month), but going on what I've read of the book so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing this adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This doesn't look very exciting. It seems like one of those "sci-fi" things, where the story is set in the future or alternate timeline, but it somehow resembles a period in our history. It looks downbeat and depressing, based on flicking through the episodes, not the trailer. Does this series have any "oomph"?

The lead, Elisabeth Moss, doesn't impress me. I don't remember really liking anything with her in it. Maybe, The One I Love (2014), I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

This doesn't look very exciting. It seems like one of those "sci-fi" things, where the story is set in the future or alternate timeline, but it somehow resembles a period in our history. It looks downbeat and depressing, based on flicking through the episodes, not the trailer. Does this series have any "oomph"?

It's based an great book from an amazing writer (Atwood's has done a few future/dystopia type books that were pretty good). I guess you have to be into that kind of thing. If it does the book justice it'll be great. Not see the show yet buy I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Finished the first three released episodes and they are as strong as anything I have watched in recent years.

The soundtrack is bloody brilliant as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Just watched the first 3 episodes. A lot of close ups and whispering under hats but I have to say I love it. The storyline is great, I'm really intrigued to know more about the world and what happened. I can see why they released the 3 episodes at once. It really picks up on episode 3 and now I'm hooked. Can't wait for the next episode. I might even read the book in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is fast becoming my favourite show episode four keeps the high standard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

As if I wasn't loving this already they went ahead and used Penguin cafe orchestra in their soundtrack

Another fantastic episode this week again I have been really surprised by good this show turning out to be.

Elisabeth Moss again showing why she is one of the best actresses in the world today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Read the book by chance only a couple of weeks before this came out and the first three episodes were very true to the book, almost word for word in the dialogue but obviously the flashbacks are to a world with smartphones etc which makes it even more terrifying!

Great season so far, even though Im not a huge fan of Elizabeth Moss I think she has been cast correctly for this role somehow.

Can't believe its been renewed for a second season so early on, this is surely a good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched the 5 episodes there. Thought it was done well.

I'd been thinking it was just the 5 for the full season and wondering how they could resolve it but then I check and saw it's 10 in total. Might just wait and give the 2nd five a go at once as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Channel 4 has secured the UK rights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Those last few scenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on Channel 4 on Sunday May 28th at 9pm

Slydice wrote: »
    Those last few scenes!

Got to admit that Nick does things to me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

New episode to watch when i get home :D
    I don't know if I should hope she does or doesn't get pregnant!

I say it after I watch a new episode but this is the best thing on tv right now.

Finished the book a few weeks ago, but only got a chance to start watching the series over the past few days. All caught up now and I think it's as strong an adaptation as any of the best book-to-screen I've seen. I like that they're covering all the contents of the book and then world building on top of that for longevity going forward. There's really only one big event that hasn't yet been covered from the book, but I don't think it's important right now for the direction they're taking the show, and I'm looking forward to see how the season plays out and what they do with Season 2. The casting is spot on across the board - no weak links at all.

Finished the book a few weeks ago, but only got a chance to start watching the series over the past few days. All caught up now and I think it's as strong an adaptation as any of the best book-to-screen I've seen. I like that they're covering all the contents of the book and then world building on top of that for longevity going forward. There's really only one big event that hasn't yet been covered from the book, but I don't think it's important right now for the direction they're taking the show, and I'm looking forward to see how the season plays out and what they do with Season 2. The casting is spot on across the board - no weak links at all.

I read the book last summer, I think I know the event you're referring to.

Put behind a spoiler for those who haven't read the book - read at your own risk! (Don't read it. It'll ruin stuff for you.)
    When the Commander takes her to the club and she runs into Moira?

• Advertisement

budgese wrote: »
    I read the book last summer, I think I know the event you're referring to.

Put behind a spoiler for those who haven't read the book - read at your own risk! (Don't read it. It'll ruin stuff for you.)
    When the Commander takes her to the club and she runs into Moira?

Yeah, that's the one. I'm sure they'll probably still throw it in at some point, but it's not essential as long as they get the important information from that part in by other means.

Yeah, that's the one. I'm sure they'll probably still throw it in at some point, but it's not essential as long as they get the important information from that part in by other means.

They will have to show it! However it's been renewed for a second season so they don't plan to conclude it in one go. I hope we don't have to wait.

Another good episode this time showing a part of the back story and how those that escaped are now dealing.

I can now safely say this is my favorite show on right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have been watching a few episodes the last few nights (think I've seen the first five so far) and this is a seriously impressive show.

It's a brilliant story and it's wonderfully created. Like a carefully thought out game of chess, it slowly seems to be coming together by revealing itself bit by bit. Some very interesting twists along the way. You need to keep your eye on what's going on.

Would definitely recommend for those of you wondering if its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Channel 4 has secured the UK rights

Starts on Sunday at 9 PM.

Absolutely loved this week's episode even though it was such a major shift in focus, but it was brilliant.

Has anyone watched the film from 1990 starring Natasha Richardson, , Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall, Aidan Quinn, and Elizabeth McGovern and the screenplay was written by Harold Pinter.

That an impressive group.

Another great world opening episode.

The music box analogy was simply fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Up to date online... honest to god think this is the best show that's been on tv in years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a show as much as this one. Absolutely amazing production.

Advertisement