Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

• 15-05-2017 10:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Continuing on from the previous thread....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

james-ryan-3-752x501.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Looks like someone's taken his last rolo

:D

Peregrine wrote: »
    james-ryan-3-752x501.jpg

Same hair and all. Just sayin.

5107505-2645923559-Super.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Venjur wrote: »
    Same hair and all. Just sayin.

No, Superman got that haircut to look more like James Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The non-Lions June internationals look quite intriguing, not least France vs SA. Georgia also get a shot against Argentina. But I'm looking forward to Ireland's tour to the land of the rising sun. I think this could be quite close actually: a full-strength Japan against an Irish side stripped of its world class props, it's most dynamic ball-runners, and it's 9/10/12 axis. The Japanese have quite skilful backs, and I'm sure will look to exploit Ireland's perceived weakness out wide. Given the location and the pool make-up of RWC 2019, this tour is a Godsend for Schmidt - hopefully he is a little more ambitious than usual in his selections, the likes of the ageing Trimble & Bowe etc should be nowhere near this squad. Experience is important, vital even, but only if the player has a realistic chance of still featuring for Ireland in the next couple of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine the Japan games will be far bigger tests than people are thinking. I wouldn't be 100% certain we'd win both with a largely weakened team although we should. Because of this, I reckon we'll have a decent enough team on the field, especially for the first test. For context, full strength Scottish sides won two close games last summer over there, Japan beat Georgia in Tblisi in the autumn and were a score away from beating Wales in Cardiff.

They're in the mix for being the best second tier nation playing at the moment and, with their involvement in Super Rugby, they'll be undisputedly the best soon, I feel.

I'd like to think we'll beat them with room to spare in both games but I reckon they'll push us close enough in at least one of them. I would hope we see 5 new caps on the tour as well as significant game time for guys like Marmion, Leavy, Niall Scannell and John Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So Rob Kearney is apparently in the running to tour. I might have to take a break from here if that happens.

On the flip side it's looking more and more likely that Ryan might tour and Porter is in with a shout too. Both would be a surprise inclusion but far from a conservative one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Treadwell also likely to travel. Good news considering how thin the second row is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

If McFadden or Rob Kearney tour i will despair.

molloyjh wrote: »
    So Rob Kearney is apparently in the running to tour. I might have to take a break from here if that happens.

On the flip side it's looking more and more likely that Ryan might tour and Porter is in with a shout too. Both would be a surprise inclusion but far from a conservative one.

I hadn't thought of Porter until Neil mentioned him on here yesterday but, if they see him as someone that has the potential to be at that level, he won't get a much better chance to integrate than this tour.

I think it could be premature so not sure he'll go. We still have Furlong, Ryan and Bealham as well as Herbst coming down the tracks shortly. If they see Porter as having that level of potential though, he won't get a better opportunity than Japan to get some exposure at tighthead.

Rob Kearney has no business going. We have other experienced guys in the back three to bring along others. If he goes, it means a younger option who could potentially be an option in the next two years isn't going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 99 ✭✭scrights

Kearney should be nowhere near the team.. give him and heaslip the summer off to recuperate FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Imagine the something heads exploding right now that Ryan and Porter travel ahead of the $(person who has actually started a game of professional rugby) like Peter Stringer.

I'm actually snortling on my warm drink of choice. Just wait for the pages and pages of experience and systems topped with a dash of Rob Kearney topped off with Schmidders.

It makes the provinces non-awarding of contracts even more laughable and forward-looking.

Sweet breakfasts chaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Schmidt blots his copy book with a Kearney, Trimble + McFadden selection. We must start looking at back three options for 2019. Anything else is touching on Kidneysque levels of denial and conservatism.

A Ryan or Porter selection will mean nothing if we have the usual guys on the wing. Rob Kearney will be 34, Trimble will be 35, and McFadden 33 by Japan. Perfect opportunity on this tour to have a few new backs in the mix while having experience as well. Yes bring Kearney (or Trimble), Byrne and Stockdale for the mix but if the former en masse go nobody can rightly defend that decision here, not if you actually have the interest of Irish rugby at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Niallof9 wrote: »
    If McFadden or Rob Kearney tour i will despair.

So much experience though.

Would tend to agree anyway. If there was ever a chance to start someone who isn't Rob Kearney at 15 it's now.

Tbh I think people losing their s**t over individual selections are a bit daft. You've got to look at the overall squad. If Kearney and Heaslip travel, but do so along with a bunch of younger lads in tow then it's probably not such a big deal. If they travel at the expense of some of those young lads then that's a different matter. I just hope people are managing their expectations to a reasonable level here. And by a reasonable level I don't mean expecting the worst or using that sentiment as another way to have a go. There will need to be an element of balance to the squad which will also need to factor in a few guys potentially getting called up to the Lions as well. As long as that balance is broadly right then there should be little to argue over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You would wonder why Leinster didn't give Ryan a game against Glasgow or Ulster instead of asking Munster to give him game time.

You would wonder why Leinster didn't give Ryan a game against Glasgow or Ulster instead of asking Munster to give him game time.

Because those were genuinely competitive games at a level Ryan has never played before. The "Munster game" was an development nothing game. The result of which didn't matter a damn to anyone.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Because those were genuinely competitive games at a level Ryan has never played before. The "Munster game" was an development nothing game. The result of which didn't matter a damn to anyone.

Is it not a bit odd in that case that someone needs gametime to go on tour with Ireland but can't get it at the Pro 12 because they're not good enough?

Is it not a bit odd in that case that someone needs gametime to go on tour with Ireland but can't get it at the Pro 12 because they're not good enough?

Yes. Which is why so many of us have a hard time believing Ryan will actually be selected.

I'd imagine the reason the squad announcement hasn't been properly scheduled is so that a few lads can prove their fitness for the trip, like Heaslip and Kearney. Ryan may fall into that bracket too. May not have been fit enough to be involved with Leinster the last few weeks, but may be fit enough to play for Ireland in a few weeks time. Maybe he'll tour without actually playing. Who knows at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Isn't he literally just back from long-term injury?

• Advertisement

I suppose it would stink a little bit in terms of Schmidt instructing a province to start someone who has never played before and in an interpro too. Then there's the fact that someone like Molony may have missed out. Leinster would have wanted to give their big players a run out to keep them ticking over ahead of a two week lay off also, I imagine.

Scmidt would have far more autonomy in relation to a development game away from scrutiny.

Buer wrote: »
    I suppose it would stink a little bit in terms of Schmidt instructing a province to start someone who has never played before and in an interpro too. Then there's the fact that someone like Molony may have missed out. Leinster would have wanted to give their big players a run out to keep them ticking over ahead of a two week lay off also, I imagine.

Scmidt would have far more autonomy in relation to a development game away from scrutiny.

Well yes, there is also that too. :o

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Isn't he literally just back from long-term injury?

Yes. And I'd imagine that is much more likely the reason he wasn't involved. It takes a long time to get those bigger guys back to game speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Could Kearney possibly tour as captain? Best is with the Lions and Heaslip might not be fit. That would explain selecting Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭phog

I seldom listen to OTB anymore but caught the tail end of it last night, I think it was Gavin Cummiskey making a case for Rob to go on tour with Ireland. :(

I can't see any value in bringing Rob on tour other than maybe keeping him match fit for a Lions call up for injury cover but even then is he going to be next in line?

I'd imagine Kearney would be brought for his leadership as much as anything else, as well as being a Lions candidate. The guy is half fit though and clearly struggling to stay fit, I'd hope he won't start every game if brought and I'd prefer we bring others instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

phog wrote: »
    I seldom listen to OTB anymore but caught the tail end of it last night, I think it was Gavin Cummiskey making a case for Rob to go on tour with Ireland. :(

I can't see any value in bringing Rob on tour other than maybe keeping him match fit for a Lions call up for injury cover but even then is he going to be next in line?

I think this may be relevant for a couple players and I would expect the IRFU/Schmidt to countenance requests by senior players to play.

I don't really expect anyone to be rested to be honest - missing 11 players is a big chunk as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Rob Kearney isn't even back training for Leinster yet, two weeks before the squad departs. I can't see it happening.

But if he does get fit, he'll be picked. And why not, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Former Coach

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think this may be relevant for a couple players and I would expect the IRFU/Schmidt to countenance requests by senior players to play.

I don't really expect anyone to be rested to be honest - missing 11 players is a big chunk as it is.

I agree Podge. I don't think Joe will be underestimating either of these teams given that he will have a number of very inexperienced guys on board. Japan have proven to be a match for the best and I can't really see USA rolling over!

• Advertisement

conf101 wrote: »
    Could Kearney possibly tour as captain? Best is with the Lions and Heaslip might not be fit. That would explain selecting Kearney.

That would be a legitimate reason. I could get on board with that given the absence of many senior options if Heaslip is out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement