Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Amusing rather than LOL funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Crappy title, but I like McFarlane. Will give it a whirl but I can't see it going the distance unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Context: the episodes will be an hour long apparently, so that's gotta double the budget and make the margins of error a bit thinner.

Some of the comedy did make me chuckle, but dear lord I hate McFarlane and his insistence on being the leading man. Im on the fence about his comedy writing but he's an excrutiating performer. It's all a bit Garth Marenghi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sacrilege

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

pixelburp wrote: »
    Context: the episodes will be an hour long apparently, so that's gotta double the budget and make the margins of error a bit thinner.

Some of the comedy did make me chuckle, but dear lord I hate McFarlane and his insistence on being the leading man. Im on the fence about his comedy writing but he's an excrutiating performer. It's all a bit Garth Marenghi.

OK, so an hour of American TV is 44 minutes. That's way too long for a comedy. I'm with you on the leading man thing, I'd have preferred if he was the sidekick or straight foil to someone in a Zap Brannagin role.

It's basically a serialised "Galaxy Quest". Can't see it lasting beyond a season. Problem is everyone in Hollywood loves him because of Family Guy, American Dad & Ted. Even "Million ways to die" has a cult following & they'll keep letting him try stuff.

It's WIKI says it's a comedy-drama, co maybe it'll have legs as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

"The" Orville :confused:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nvZDOA71UH8/maxresdefault.jpg

On the plus side, it's got Jon Favreau and SpyDaddy.

On the minus...Seth McFarlane.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm surprised at the Galaxy Quest comparisons, all missing the central conceit of that movie - that the characters in it are actors in a long-cancelled TV show who meet aliens that don't get that it was just a show. A spoof of Star Trek fandom.

Whereas this is just a spoof of Star Trek.

• icdg wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the Galaxy Quest comparisons, all missing the central conceit of that movie - that the characters in it are actors in a long-cancelled TV show who meet aliens that don't get that it was just a show. A spoof of Star Trek fandom.

Whereas this is just a spoof of Star Trek.

It's pure Galaxy Quest. It's just taken the sterotypical actors bungling in a real command and replaced it with real bungling officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I like the trailer actually, few good chuckles in there. While McFarlane tends to flog the comedy horse a little too hard (Million Ways to Die in the West is a prime example) there is always potential when he's involved.

I'd be looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

With his cartoons the humour is spot on and sharp, the delivery of the gags in the trailer was that cringy kind where they walk you through the gags.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the problem is McFarlane's the worst person to deliver his own jokes: his character just sounds 'in' on the all the humour, and comes across completely detached from the rest of the universe. All the other characters feel natural, while McFarlane giving off airs of the funniest man in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There seems to be a solid cast around MacFarlane but he could wear thin pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The biggest problem with MacFarlane and his performance is it essentially boils down to him writing something that's weird, then his character pointing out how weird it is, even though in the context of the show it shouldn't be weird.

Like in Million Ways To Die In The West, he just repeatedly points out how crazy some of the things that happen are, but considering that's the environment his character grew up in, he shouldn't find it that weird. This seems like the same, pointing out how weird aliens are and how weird their worlds and lifestyle are etc, but he's literally the captain of a spaceship who works with aliens and travels to other planets. He's not supposed to find it weird. We as the audience are meant to find it weird, and it shouldn't need to be pointed out.

I don't have high hopes for this. He can strike gold occasionally (early seasons of Family Guy, Ted 1), but can churn out incredibly poor stuff (later seasons of Family Guy, Ted 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭squonk

I wasn't bowled over by the trailer for this. On the plus side it looked funnier than expected but on the minus side it has too much Seth McFarlane. Ted works great because it's a character Seth plays, not far removed from Brian in Family Guy. Million Ways To Die is unbearable because Seth plays Seth and it's not good. I liked Million Ways for the first 40 minutes then the humor got old. The big running gag that the west was rough and crazy things happened got flogged to within an inch of its life.

The Family Guy Star Wars shows are great but don't stand multiple viewings. I've a feeling The Orville will lose its appeal 10 episodes in once we all get the joke and the few holdouts are still having Seth shove it down their throats.

Worse still, I've a feeling this might be a better Star Trek show than the new Discivery. I hope that's not the case but I'd consider Galaxy Quest a much better Star Trek movie than JJ's first two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll give this a watch

Tv Spot.

MacFarlane is great with one joke and them flogging it to death for the next few years before finding another joke to flog to death.

He hasn't realised that he's the joke. :o

• Advertisement

Saw Logan Lucky on Monday evening, and McFarlane is atrociously bad in it; it's a great movie otherwise but his gurning & British accent derailed every scene he was in. Thankfully he wasn't in it that much.

Ok I tried it and I honestly don't know how I managed to last the full 35 minutes I was ready to turn it off after 5 minutes I deserve a medal for sitting through the whole thing.

Woeful, Horrible, Terrible maybe the worst 30 minutes of tv ever made ever ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ok I tried it and I honestly don't know how I managed to last the full 35 minutes I was ready to turn it off after 5 minutes I deserve a medal for sitting through the whole thing.

Woeful, Horrible, Terrible maybe the worst 30 minutes of tv ever made ever ever!

I really dislike McFarlane and had no intention of even considering watching this.
    But after that review I'm now tempted...

Dammit internet reverse psychology

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I really dislike McFarlane and had no intention of even considering watching this.

It isn't even one of these things that's so bad it good.

When I am on my death bed I will remember wasting 30 minutes of my life watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I have no idea what i just watched.

It's not a spoof, it's not a real star trek, it's not a comedy, it's not a drama, what was this?

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Oddly, I'm the same; I'm drawn to it, purely as an obvious vanity project. I mean, it couldn't be any worse than 'Powerless', the last SciFi 'comedy' I endured..

based on the trailer the humor looks like that awkward kind of Ghostbusters humor, they should have had a "Ron Burgunty" or "Zapp Brannigan" ott Captain. Just looks like a cringe fest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

It isn't even one of these things that's so bad it good.

When I am on my death bed I will remember wasting 30 minutes of my life watching this.

You'll also have it on your conscious that you were instrumental in stealing 30 minutes from the lives of me and many others.
    Muahaha
    To be fair, I've 2 small kids and I struggle to find the time to watch anything I really like and want to see, so I'm prob not going to waste any of that precious time on this sh1t, and thank you all for making it clear it's not worth watching.

• When you see the effort and work gone into it (even model work!) it's kinda a shame to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching it as we speak... the music is very Star Trek (echos of the TMP Enterprise Approach scene among others), and the visuals are very TNG

15 minutes in and so far it's not too bad. It's not quite Trek, it's not quite Family Guy, but for a pilot/first episode it isn't the worst thing I've seen so far.

Advertisement