Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Who owns the car parks is not the point. The point is the council spent millions on The Quay without addressing the actual problem with The Quay. If they spent that money on compulsory purchasing even one of those car parks they could start to get control of the problem. Instead they reinforced the problem and are part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Are they though? As far as I know, it's:

Under the crane - council

Clock Tower - Fitzgeralds

Roundabout - Bus station - council

Bus station to Bridge - council

Is this wrong?

It would look fine if you got rid of all and left the clock tower one, but Shaws would feel the pinch as it would lose footfall.

I love the Applemarket, but it is so dark down there. We'll just have to wait and see.

Isn't Colbeck St going pedestrian only? won't that limit access to Spring Garden Alley?
    There is usually bollards up stopping you from driving down spring garden alley from Colbeck street. If the apple market does turn out to be too dark then I am sure they can easily add a few LEDs, in fact I would be surprised if some kind of special lighting hasn't been included in the plans for the structure already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BBM77 wrote: »
    Who owns the car parks is not the point. The point is the council spent millions on The Quay without addressing the actual problem with The Quay. If they spent that money compulsory purchasing even one of those car parks they could start to get control of the problem. Instead they reinforced the problem and are part of the problem.

What is your point...? Can you define the 'actual problem' with the quay that you are talking about? Is it the amount of car parks? The reduction in 'average speed' due to single lane or 'aesthetics'......what is your 'solution'? Why anyone local uses the quay to get to somewhere other than on the quay is beyond me.....? It has to be out of pure 'pig headnesses'....because he/she has driven down it all their lives at a perticular speed they feel entitled to do it forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Are they though? As far as I know, it's:

Under the crane - council

Clock Tower - Fitzgeralds

Roundabout - Bus station - council

Bus station to Bridge - council

Is this wrong?

It would look fine if you got rid of all and left the clock tower one, but Shaws would feel the pinch as it would lose footfall.

I love the Applemarket, but it is so dark down there. We'll just have to wait and see.

Isn't Colbeck St going pedestrian only? won't that limit access to Spring Garden Alley?

Oh it is very dark down there, it hadn't really occurred to me until you said it! Maybe though with the roof/canopy being a little bit higher than the surrounding buildings, they're hoping to filter in some light through that? I'm guessing the roof/canopy is going to be totally glass.

WRT the carparks on the quay, if they can't repurpose the whole side, the part closest the bridge/Treacys would be a great spot to have cafes and stuff like that as it's the first thing you see entering the city from that side.
    I know when my relatives have come to visit, they have been so surprised that the first sight you're greeted with is a sea of cars and a bus station.
    And again, if they can't repurpose the whole car park side, maybe then the end down by the crane, with the crane being a nice focal point (I think anyway).

I mean, obviously it's very easy for me sitting here deciding what to do with the area but I'd say it would be complicated to purchase and repurpose and maybe that's why the council haven't?

When you look at the Liffey in Dublin and the few boats they have on it that serve drinks and food and do tours up and down the Liffey - would there be any scope for something like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

But car parks are the easiest cash cow ever. Literally rent by the hour/minute. Who cares what the quays look like. Think about the filthy luchre to pay for jollies off foreign and gala dinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

erica74 wrote: »
    Oh it is very dark down there, it hadn't really occurred to me until you said it! Maybe though with the roof/canopy being a little bit higher than the surrounding buildings, they're hoping to filter in some light through that? I'm guessing the roof/canopy is going to be totally glass.

WRT the carparks on the quay, if they can't repurpose the whole side, the part closest the bridge/Treacys would be a great spot to have cafes and stuff like that as it's the first thing you see entering the city from that side.
    I know when my relatives have come to visit, they have been so surprised that the first sight you're greeted with is a sea of cars and a bus station.
    And again, if they can't repurpose the whole car park side, maybe then the end down by the crane, with the crane being a nice focal point (I think anyway).

I mean, obviously it's very easy for me sitting here deciding what to do with the area but I'd say it would be complicated to purchase and repurpose and maybe that's why the council haven't?

When you look at the Liffey in Dublin and the few boats they have on it that serve drinks and food and do tours up and down the Liffey - would there be any scope for something like that?

Complicated and more critically, expensive..that's main reason council can't do much with car parks.the plan is to change it, that's well publicised , alternative parking going in around city (gas works, north quays), first step happening..not as quick as all parties would like probably.so much of the cities future could be realised with north quays development , its staggering.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What is your point...? Can you define the 'actual problem' with the quay that you are talking about? Is it the amount of car parks? The reduction in 'average speed' due to single lane or 'aesthetics'......what is your 'solution'? Why anyone local uses the quay to get to somewhere other than on the quay is beyond me.....? It has to be out of pure 'pig headnesses'....because he/she has driven down it all their lives at a perticular speed they feel entitled to do it forever!

Ooops forgot nobody can criticise the changes to The Quay.
    What is it about the people who think The Quay is faultless now that they always have to resort to insulting people?

The actual problem is pretty clear when I wrote “…the actual problem with The Quay in that there is surface car parks along almost its entire length”, if you were to bother reading thread discussion properly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103512046&postcount=88

There is a scenic river frontage of about 1km in length that is covered in unsightly surface parking. Instead of trying to do something about it the council reinforced the problem. In most cities the car parks are multi-store and hidden behind buildings so they cannot be even seen. The way they are here is a terrible use of urban space.

Again, if you were to bother reading the thread discussion properly I wrote “If they spent that money on compulsory purchasing even one of those car parks they could start to get control of the problem.” Which is a solution in part to fix the problem.

What did you suggest? Oh yeah, nothing! You just came on and wrote a condescending post trying to knock anybody who does not conform to your blinkered point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

?If they spent that money on compulsory purchasing even one of those car parks they could start to get control of the problem.? Which is a solution in part to fix the problem.

What money are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BBM77 wrote:
    There is a scenic river frontage of about 1km in length that is covered in unsightly surface parking. Instead of trying to do something about it the council reinforced the problem. In most cities the car parks are multi-store and hidden behind buildings so they cannot be even seen. The way they are here is a terrible use of urban space.

They would first of course have to find a location for, and build multi-storey car parks to provide alternative parking for those that use the quayside parking.
    Presumably those car parks would need to be in the general vicinity of the quay.

That would not be easily managed.

I do agree that a great potential amenity is lost with the car parking on the quayside.

Ooops forgot nobody can criticise the changes to The Quay.
    What is it about the people who think The Quay is faultless now that they always have to resort to insulting people?

The actual problem is pretty clear when I wrote “…the actual problem with The Quay in that there is surface car parks along almost its entire length”, if you were to bother reading thread discussion properly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103512046&postcount=88

Again, if you were to bother reading the thread discussion properly I wrote “If they spent that money on compulsory purchasing even one of those car parks they could start to get control of the problem.” Which is a solution in part to fix the problem.

What did you suggest? Oh yeah, nothing! You just came on and wrote a condescending post trying to knock anybody who does not conform to your blinkered point of view.

So it's the 'aesthetics' of the quay is your issue and despite the way you have taken my comments and your very 'personal' response, I actually agree with you however as previous posters have said it would be cost prohibitive to 'solve' this i.e. CPO'ing all the non council owned car parks and/or compensating those that are council owned but leased to third parties. So for the foreseeable future we are stuck with what we have unfortunately.

• Advertisement

They could seek public private partnerships to build multi storey carparks on the council’s own land such as behind the book centre, Bolton St and Millers Marsh. They could build a large multi-story carpark on part of the river front, if it was designed well with a stylist facade it could look great. One building with the remainder as green areas is a much better use of urban space. All that is needed is the will to do something about the problem from the council.

They could seek public private partnerships to build multi storey carparks on the council’s own land such as behind the book centre, Bolton St and Millers Marsh. They could build a large multi-story carpark on part of the river front, if it was designed well with a stylist facade it could look great. One building with the remainder as green areas is a much better use of urban space. All that is needed is the will to do something about the problem from the council.

It's a possibility but I would think at the moment removing the car parking is not top priority for the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Who owns the car parks is not the point. The point is the council spent millions on The Quay without addressing the actual problem with The Quay. If they spent that money on compulsory purchasing even one of those car parks they could start to get control of the problem. Instead they reinforced the problem and are part of the problem.

what millions??

and any idea how much a CPO on the quays would cost?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    It's a possibility but I would think at the moment removing the car parking is not top priority for the council.

Yes, that is true. The North wharf/Newgate Centre would be a much higher priority at the moment.

robtri wrote: »
    what millions??

and any idea how much a CPO on the quays would cost?

Well, it was something that was done before. They bought the carpark down around the crane. I know it was different times financially but they still did it.

Well, it was something that was done before. They bought the carpark down around the crane. I know it was different times financially but they still did it.

Have a read of the details re CPO process on the attached link.....not as straight forward as you might think and can work out very costly particularly when the lands in questions have commercial activities on them.

https://www.scsi.ie/documents/get_lob?id=402&field=file

Yes, that is true. The North wharf/Newgate Centre would be a much higher priority at the moment.

I'd add bilberry road/greenway to that IMO too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Motivator

Saw this for the first time today. It's some eyesore.

All the work done over the last few years promoting the city as the oldest in Ireland and all the good work done promoting the Viking triangle is completely contradicted by this thing in the Apple market which is like a replica of the west stand at Old Trafford. It's an awful looking thing, could they not have been a bit more imaginative and creative with the design? It's not as if it is being done on the cheap, they could have at least got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Motivator wrote: »

All the work done over the last few years promoting the city as the oldest in Ireland and all the good work done promoting the Viking triangle is completely contradicted by this thing in the Apple market which is like a replica of the west stand at Old Trafford. It's an awful looking thing, could they not have been a bit more imaginative and creative with the design? It's not as if it is being done on the cheap, they could have at least got it right.

Totally agree, it is a monstrosity. I can't understand the purpose of it at all. It is a couple of weeks now since I walked up that way and it has totally darkened the whole area. I hope I am proved wrong and when it is completely finished it looks better, maybe lit up and actually serves a purpose. I am sceptical about this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Motivator

73Cat wrote: »
    Totally agree, it is a monstrosity. I can't understand the purpose of it at all. It is a couple of weeks now since I walked up that way and it has totally darkened the whole area. I hope I am proved wrong and when it is completely finished it looks better, maybe lit up and actually serves a purpose. I am sceptical about this though.

No I can't see it improving at all, in fact I can only seeing it getting worse. It's a complete mismatch in the town and just another example of how idiotic those in the city council are.

It looks horrific and many, many people who I've spoken to over the last few weeks have said they won't go near that end of the town. The Apple market is a dreary enough place at the best of times, this just makes it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Saw it today for first time and I'm surprised it's not clear glass throughout. Struggling to see the point in blocking out the sun. I could understand if it was fully enclosed like a green house but that is not the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Ah but the goys will be able to take their plastic glasses of local swill outside now and coiff their mustaches and EVERYONE will get to see just how trendy one is.

As an extra bonus nightime entertainment will be provided by the many members of local adventuring community providing a free ( and unsolicited) demonstration of their fine tradition of gloveless combat.

Hurrah.

Motivator wrote: »

Think they are showing bit of imagination with the mirrored underside...it's unique to Ireland, I can see that becoming a feature for the area, people flock to the one in Marseille and Chicago (lil different I know).anyway, its a little early to be slating it,I was sceptical of their plans for the glass flood wall and the likes of the gravel down by bishops palace area, happy to admit totally wrong and both look great IMO.with the Apple market, yeah, it might be shaded in the middle/most part but hey, its raining/cloudy more than its sunny so roof with a feature not all bad.I think it will look better than the likes of the milk market in limerick, which is a great success but has same issue of creating shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

"It looks horrific and many, many people who I've spoken to over the last few weeks have said they won't go near that end of the town. The Apple market is a dreary enough place at the best of times, this just makes it worse."

Ahh the good old Waterford hear-say, they wont go near that end of the city now because there is a roof over it, are these the same people who say they dont go into the centre and do all their shopping in Kilkenny because its too expensive to park in Waterford (even though you see them in town every weekend?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

There are people in this thread who would complain about winning the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

longshanks wrote: »

Only if I found out it was being split...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭iseegirls

longshanks wrote: »

True.

Have to remember what the Apple Market was before - a waiting area for taxis, a stand selling chocolate and crisps that was a year out of date, and overgrown trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Max Powers wrote: »
    Think they are showing bit of imagination with the mirrored underside...it's unique to Ireland, I can see that becoming a feature for the area, people flock to the one in Marseille and Chicago (lil different I know).anyway, its a little early to be slating it,I was sceptical of their plans for the glass flood wall and the likes of the gravel down by bishops palace area, happy to admit totally wrong and both look great IMO.with the Apple market, yeah, it might be shaded in the middle/most part but hey, its raining/cloudy more than its sunny so roof with a feature not all bad.I think it will look better than the likes of the milk market in limerick, which is a great success but has same issue of creating shade.

Are they actually making it a mirrored ceiling or is that just speculation?

Are they actually making it a mirrored ceiling or is that just speculation?

Yeah, fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's been one mirrored panel on it for a few weeks. Presumably some sort of test fitting.

Advertisement