Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Result changed years later

Options
  • 15-05-2017 2:25pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Several years ago I made an each way bet on an athletics event in the Olympics. Eachway bet covered people covered placing 1-3. The athlete I bet on finished 4th.

Now years later one of the medalists got disqualified (drugs). If I still had the betting ticket could I go into the bookies and collect winnings on the basis that the 4th place competitor has since been upgraded to third which was covered by the eachway bet?

Obviously I don't still have the betting slip so I have no rights to anything but I'm just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

interesting
    what about if it was an online account????

No.
    For one thing, bookies never actually have to pay out. So unless they decided to do a PR promotion they would never have the "rules" bended like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The event was probably deemed fair, and accurate resulting at the time, the liability would likely be with the event organisers or testing staff.

Ideally a fast 30sec test (if such is available) should be done 5mins, before any major race/competition takes place. If the sample turns blue, they're removed instantly and thus a void selection.

Probably the biggest thing that comes to mind is the Lance cyclist fellow, whom went to great effort over a sustained period of time, to cheat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The problem is in athletics at the moment that old samples are retested with new technology where available.

That means that Olympic medals from 08 are being called into question at the moment.

Buttonftw;103517577No.
    For one thing, bookies never actually have to pay out. So unless they decided to do a PR promotion they would never have the "rules" bended like that.

I can understand this view. No reason for them to pay out twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

is a there a collect by time on winning bets?

there is on scratch cards you know, load of ones giving out on the liveline one day about it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Probably treated the same as horse racing. First past the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

No. These events are settled on the results at the official presentation.
    I backed Oscar Pereiro-Sio to win the 2006 Tour de France at 170s.
    He led until Floyd Landis won the third last stage, and Landis was the winner on the podium.
    Two days later Landis failed a drugs test. The stage he won (the third last) he was drugged with lots of testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The bookie will have a standard set of terms which will deal with this, almost certainly by specifying that the official result declared at the meet determines which bets are paid, regardless of later adjustments. You'll find that you agreed to this (probably without reading it) when you placed your bet. It was in the small print.

Having said that, bookies might sometimes pay out in a case like this for goodwill or publicity. The number of people who still have a betting slip and can claim will be vanishingly small, and the bookie who pays out on the one or two slips presented will get a lot of publicity for a very low cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its as simple as this

Whoever lifts the trophy or Presentation of Medal is deemed the Winners and Places.

Take for Example 2006 Serie A season. Juventus were stripped of their title in same season after Match Fixing and title was awarded to Inter, but Juve lifted the trophy and only Juve winning bets were paid out

Advertisement