Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The top of the town is just a ludicrous rabbits warren, there really needs to be some major consolidation work done for traffic going up Summerhill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nope, I was thinking about going down tomorrow but it depends on the weather.

Does anyone know what the access story is for Michael Street once the Apple Market work is done? I'm going to
    guess there will still be one way through from John's Street side up to a certain hour of the morning.

It's one way alright, up by ginos, left then up new street.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Have to say I don't understand people using traffic as a reason not to have any work done on the city.

The applemarket is starting to take shape and it will be great when it's done. I'm delighted to see this kind of work being done in the city.

As a previous poster said if it adds a small amount of extra time regarding traffic then it's not that big of a deal.

Compared to other cities the traffic in Waterford is not too bad. Waterford is really coming on with the Applemarket, Gas Works, Court house and City Square work being done at the moment.

What is it with you and loving the Council? You always paint genuine concerns and objections as "giving out" and "always a minority who complain", who do you think you are? Its blatantly obvious that none of the building works affects you in any way shape or form and that's fine but to dismiss the concerns of others who ARE affected by it is arrogant in the extreme. There are businesses in Waterford that the council wanted to just bulldoze through to make way for one-way traffic into the city without an iota of thought for some of the shops on the Cork Road like Morris's, Dunphys etc, in fact they had to most of the legroom themselves to find out what the plans were.

Same with Bilberry- they wanted to make that one way traffic for the Greenway but they realised the people would push back hugely, and rightly so, on that issue. A lot of people living in the surrounding area don't want the fallout from extra traffic and why should they? I'm all for Waterford changing but people like you who just dismiss all concerns outright are whats wrong with Waterford.

Ridiculous really there wanderer, of course it affects me, its a small place.they gave lots of thought to businesses and people on this they had consultation/submission report and meetings.layout will not change for Morriss, improve access probably, have you looked at plans.dunphys parking is genuine issue,I think parking will be made there as part of it (is there parking spaces there as is).pretty sure dunphys made that submission back when report issued, unlike the others showing up 2 years later.as someone else said, all this is for good of the city,, I'm massively in favour of it,I have looked at plans a good bit, its gonna be bit painful having all that roadworks going on but will improve city in end, we'll start seeing how much better Apple market and down friary way soon hopefully.

Compared to other cities the traffic in Waterford is not too bad. Waterford is really coming on with the Applemarket, Gas Works, Court house and City Square work being done at the moment.

What's happening with the Gas works site? God knows I've been waiting for something/anything to happen down there so long now. Never got why it was so ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's happening with the Gas works site? God knows I've been waiting for something/anything to happen down there so long now. Never got why it was so ignored

It's a car park. They've got it surfaced and the spaces marked out now. Lights all put up too. The vehicle bridge into it looks nearly done, apart from putting those slabs over the concrete (like the rest of the wall on Waterside) and tidying up the road and paths. Pedestrian bridge waiting to go in there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's a car park. They've got it surfaced and the spaces marked out now. Lights all put up too. The vehicle bridge into it looks nearly done, apart from putting those slabs over the concrete (like the rest of the wall on Waterside) and tidying up the road and paths. Pedestrian bridge waiting to go in there too.

Am I the only one who thinks its a criminal waste of land and resources to turn what could be a beautiful waterside/city centre spot into a bloody carpark?

Wheres the f*ckin imagination like. You could build a fantastic apartment block/townhouses in there. Be an ideal spot to live. Even retail if done properly would look pretty good there but likely not neccessaey if shopping centre across the road ever actually gets built.

Sosurface wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks its a criminal waste of land and resources to turn what could be a beautiful waterside/city centre spot into a bloody carpark?

Wheres the f*ckin imagination like. You could build a fantastic apartment block/townhouses in there. Be an ideal spot to live. Even retail if done properly would look pretty good there but likely not neccessaey if shopping centre across the road ever actually gets built.

The carpark was built also to be used as a concert venue for Daytripper etc.

Not too sure how building apartments would be seen as having more imagination than building a carpark/concert venue. Railway Square apartment complex across the road has plenty of empty apartments.

This is a first but I agree with you entirely, Millers Marsh is almost literally across the road, I'd not build apartments but certainly that space would be excellent as an amenity. I'd do an urban garden with a market. Perfect spot for that sort of counter-programming (ie fill a grey spot with nature and food rather than more bricks)

The carpark was built also to be used as a concert venue for Daytripper etc.

Not too sure how building apartments would be seen as having more imagination than building a carpark/concert venue. Railway Square apartment complex across the road has plenty of empty apartments.

Its not a "concert venue". It'll get used for tgat purpose for one weekend a year by Ireland least ambitious music festival(if it even lasts for another year). Its a grotty short sighted tarmaccadam money spinner for greedy ****es in the council who couldnt care less what imprint they leave on the city.

• Advertisement

Townhouses? Apartments? Retail?Plenty of imagination yes but is there demand, who has the capital, willing, is it profitable? Council managed to take it into ownership, if someone comes up with plan and money for something good like office space (if demand there) great, otherwise, this is nonsense.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Townhouses? Apartments? Retail?Plenty of imagination yes but is there demand, who has the capital, willing, is it profitable? Council managed to take it into ownership, if someone comes up with plan and money for something good like office space (if demand there) great, otherwise, this is nonsense.

So sayeth Max Powers. God of Waterford. Amen.

Its not a "concert venue". It'll get used for tgat purpose for one weekend a year by Ireland least ambitious music festival(if it even lasts for another year). Its a grotty short sighted tarmaccadam money spinner for greedy ****es in the council who couldnt care less what imprint they leave on the city.

You might be right. I'd love to see Waterford build a proper concert venue to rival the 3 Arena in Dublin if even on a smaller scale. One that could attract big acts not just Daytripper level acts.

It would draw people from all over the country and that would spend money here on hotels etc but that's a whole other thread.

I'm probably a bit of a dreamer as where would this be built etc but it's something I'd love to see happen.

What's the WIT Arena like inside? Could that be used for live music?

What's the WIT Arena like inside? Could that be used for live music?

Have no idea on the WIT as a venue but it would be great if Waterford had a venue that could attract top tier acts that people would come from all over the country to see.

Daytripper is great and certainly better than nothing but it does seem to be limited in the level of acts it can attract.

You might be right. I'd love to see Waterford build a proper concert venue to rival the 3 Arena in Dublin if even on a smaller scale. One that could attract big acts not just Daytripper level acts.

It would draw people from all over the country and that would spend money here on hotels etc but that's a whole other thread.

I'm probably a bit of a dreamer as where would this be built etc but it's something I'd love to see happen.

Love that too buzz, really would but you're right we are in dream land, just like the stuff about buildings magically appearing on waterside with no thought about practicalities, etc.on saying that, we're not in total dream land, incredibly we have a potential massive investment happening in the city with north quays and Michael street, could be the catalyst for our dream venue like you described.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Love that too buzz, really would but you're right we are in dream land, just like the stuff about buildings magically appearing on waterside with no thought about practicalities, etc.on saying that, we're not in total dream land, incredibly we have a potential massive investment happening in the city with north quays and Michael street, could be the catalyst for our dream venue like you described.

We can dream anyway..... Then again if the Saudi project goes ahead then anything is possible.

We can dream anyway..... Then again if the Saudi project goes ahead then anything is possible.

Totally agree, have to be positive, but realistic,a massive investment like what's being proposed would/could totally change what is realistic here in a few years.massive potential here, right support, some investment and I think we could genuinely rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

So sayeth Max Powers. God of Waterford. Amen.

From a reliable source developing the gasworks site due to its previous use limited what it could be developed into. Despite being 'remediated' by bord Gais at significant cost around 10 years ago there are still 'issues' with the site such as 'high water table' to name but one, so any large scale residential/commercial potential would be costlier than the average 'brown field' sites. Hence something relatively simple to construct was selected by WCCC/BG for the time being...at least the site will now have a new access which will assist in any future plans

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

I presume if we are to ever move the car parks from the Quays we will need alternative parking.

It's possible it's the thinking of the council to source move car parks with the hope of somehow purchasing and removing the car parks from the Quays.

We also continuously hear about expensive parking in Waterford. I'm sure the gas works site will also follow Bolton Street and Millers Marsh with €1/hour parking, giving people more of an option to park for cheaper.

Railway square apartments/shop unites are not full so I wouldn't think the demand is there.

I do agree with you all the same in the future I would love to see the area used as a park with river front bars/cafes, but for now why not use the area instead if just leaving it sit there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Personally i think they are making waterside into a carpark for the court house to use nothing to do with purchasing the quays as that would cost a fortune. With waterside and millersmarsh in close proximity maybe millersmarsh could be got rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

alta stare wrote: »
    Personally i think they are making waterside into a carpark for the court house to use nothing to do with purchasing the quays as that would cost a fortune. With waterside and millersmarsh in close proximity maybe millersmarsh could be got rid of.

They could turn the quayside into a lovely lush park that would transform the city, it's hideous at the moment.

There were plans for a development of retail, offices and accommodation, but it was one of the things dropped early in the bust. I'm sure there were talks of the car park being temporary until a proper, viable development comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As was said earlier, the gasworks site cannot be used for many purposes as the land is still somewhat polluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Deiseen wrote: »
    They could turn the quayside into a lovely lush park that would transform the city, it's hideous at the moment.

It's an awful pity that the part of the quays nearest the water is filled with carparks. It's the type of area perfect for cafes and restaurants, especially at this time of year.

erica74 wrote: »
    It's an awful pity that the part of the quays nearest the water is filled with carparks. It's the type of area perfect for cafes and restaurants, especially at this time of year.

Yeah, no arguments there, hopefully if pedestrian bridge built, it would break up the current full quay side car park.if goes ahead, there would be a bit of a plaza by clock tower.think council might own some of it so something could be done if money/investor comes up.New car park on gas works and car park confirmed as part of north quay plan so availability shouldn't be problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

erica74 wrote: »

That’s something that always bugged me about the changes done to The Quay. They did not do anything to address the actual problem with The Quay in that there is surface car parks along almost its entire length. In fact, the changes actually reinforced the parking on The Quay. The council even put a roundabout not where it was needed most but at the entrance to the car park they own to make it easier to get in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

The majority of the carparks in the quay are owned by private company's I can't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are they though? As far as I know, it's:

Under the crane - council

Clock Tower - Fitzgeralds

Roundabout - Bus station - council

Bus station to Bridge - council

Is this wrong?

It would look fine if you got rid of all and left the clock tower one, but Shaws would feel the pinch as it would lose footfall.

I love the Applemarket, but it is so dark down there. We'll just have to wait and see.

Isn't Colbeck St going pedestrian only? won't that limit access to Spring Garden Alley?

• Advertisement

Most of it is Port of Waterford, not Council. They're marked in red here.

Advertisement