Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roseanne to return...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I recently rewatched Roseanne and it blew me away, it was fantastic despite episodes being 20 to 30 years old. They tackled very relevant subject matter to today and handled it very sensitively. Gay rights, depression, domestic abuse, child abuse, unemployment, poverty, religion, feminism, sex, single parenthood... it's's all in there, all given a sensitive airing but without the kid glove, preachy element we get today on TV shows. It was hilarious too. Even compared to today's shows it comes off really edgy and modern...only the high waisted jeans and the phone wired to the kitchen wall give it away.

I'd love to see more but can't help expecting to be disappointed. It just couldn't be as good again, could it?

When you look at stuff like Frasier and Roseanne you realise we are watching such rubbish really today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I recently rewatched Roseanne and it blew me away, it was fantastic despite episodes being 20 to 30 years old. They tackled very relevant subject matter to today and handled it very sensitively. Gay rights, depression, domestic abuse, child abuse, unemployment, poverty, religion, feminism, sex, single parenthood... it's's all in there, all given a sensitive airing but without the kid glove, preachy element we get today on TV shows. It was hilarious too. Even compared to today's shows it comes off really edgy and modern...only the high waisted jeans and the phone wired to the kitchen wall give it away.

I'd love to see more but can't help expecting to be disappointed. It just couldn't be as good again, could it?

When you look at stuff like Frasier and Roseanne you realise we are watching such rubbish really today.

I love the Big Bang Theory (same producer as Rosanne) but it's not until I re-watch Rosanne or even Friends that I realise how badly written and acted it is.

The success of Roseanne was the working class lifestyle and the struggles that comes with it. It will be interesting if they can adapt that to modern day.

Dan and Roseanne will be close to retirement at this stage. All the kids should be left and working and supporting them if necessary.

Interestingly, I wonder which Becky will return?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Isn't Dan dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

py2006 wrote: »
    My favourite sitcom of all time is set for a return.

I always loved the show and over be moon it's returning. It will be interesting to see how they approach the working class blue colour lifestyle in 2018.

Might be a limited roles for Darlene, Becky and DJ as presumably they would have moved out.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/roseanne-revival-roseanne-barr-john-goodman-sara-gilbert-1202078883/

Guarantee at least one of them will still be mooching. Probably DJ.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Isn't Dan dead?

Yea but Im sure they will ignore the finale. Or do Bobby from Dallas job!

• Advertisement

Isn't Dan dead?

Yes! Maybe they'll resurrect him!

I love the Big Bang Theory (same producer as Rosanne) but it's not until I re-watch Rosanne or even Friends that I realise how badly written and acted it is.

The success of Roseanne was the working class lifestyle and the struggles that comes with it. It will be interesting if they can adapt that to modern day.

Dan and Roseanne will be close to retirement at this stage. All the kids should be left and working and supporting them if necessary.

Yeah it make you realise that working class people are pretty much completely missing from TV unless they're the troubled bit characters that our main protagonists are helping out. Id say Roseanne is a lot more reflective of the life of the majority than something like Modern Family where everyone in coiffed to prefection and never appearing in the same outfit twice. Really TV needs a shake up, particularly sitcoms, real life comedy is so much more light and shade and funny as a result.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's very true. While UK TV still has a lot of blue collar shows, I can only think of Shameless and maybe This Is Us at a stretch from the US. Oh, and Superstore. I love that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Big Bang Theory is rubbish

Not even close to Roseanne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I seem to remember Family Ties more but Rosanne was good as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah it make you realise that working class people are pretty much completely missing from TV unless they're the troubled bit characters that our main protagonists are helping out. Id say Roseanne is a lot more reflective of the life of the majority than something like Modern Family where everyone in coiffed to prefection and never appearing in the same outfit twice. Really TV needs a shake up, particularly sitcoms, real life comedy is so much more light and shade and funny as a result.
    The family in The Middle is fairly working class, but the programme isn't anything like Roseanne. However, I always hated Roseanne's voice. Goes right through me.

(Does she she hate us anti-Semitic Irish?)

It's very true. While UK TV still has a lot of blue collar shows, I can only think of Shameless and maybe This Is Us at a stretch from the US. Oh, and Superstore. I love that for some reason.

Oh I love Superstore too! My favourite atm.

....... wrote: »

You definitely should, it really is TV gold. It's much better as a adult, I liked it as a kids, but there was much more going on than the average kid picked up on.
    The family in The Middle is fairly working class, but the programme isn't anything like Roseanne. However, I always hated Roseanne's voice. Goes right through me.

(Does she she hate us anti-Semitic Irish?)

The Middle is a weird one. It feels like it's made for children and the characters are kind of caricatures, despite them being "poor" though they still all get to college, to the prom like a princess etc. Roseanne has much more grit and realism.
    I agree her voice is annoying but it's honestly well worth rewatching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

More interestingly, which one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Roseanne was one of the best sitcoms ever made. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wha?

;)

;)

Sorry I just don't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I think you need to go back and read the post you quoted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

first series was not much good then it found its feet and kept going until near the end but for the last two series Roseanne Barr was making absolutely no effort and was there to pick up a pay check.
    The rest were trying to carry her but she was ruining it so...no, I don't want to see it return.

Glenn Quinn died back in 2002 too.
    I don't see a strong counterpoint to a deeply sardonic Roseanne or Darlene.

QyDFEQq

https://m.imgur.com/r/funny/QyDFEQq

I can't properly link it, but, classic Roseanne :)

Confirmed for 8 episodes and looks like it will be original Becky:

406A3DE600000578-4513518-Together_again_Roseanne_celebrated_its_revival_in_style_on_Tuesd-m-149_1494997599252.jpg

406A66C700000578-4513518-Not_only_were_Roseanne_Barr_John_Goodman_Laurie_Metcalf_Lecy_Gor-m-147_1494997381251.jpg

406A583F00000578-4513518-_Our_modern_America_Channing_Dungey_who_s_the_network_s_presiden-m-146_1494997360530.jpg

406A4B5000000578-4513518-Together_again_Roseanne_celebrated_its_revival_in_style_on_Tuesd-m-148_1494997403349.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Becky Darlene dynamic was one of the memorable parts of the show, if they are missing that then Becky by herself might be a bit dull?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

No, Darlene will be in it. She just couldn't make the gathering above.

Maybe they'll alternate sarah chalke for a couple of episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No, Darlene will be in it. She just couldn't make the gathering above.
    yeah, her & Laurie Metcalf are both in big bang theory so actively working with Chuck so probably the most likely to be in it, besides Roseanne herself.

John Goodman probably commands a very high fee and seeing as the character was supposed to die he could easily have been left out.

EDIT: seems Chuck Lorre may not be involved. Roseanne had a feud with him

http://www.tvguide.com/news/roseanne-barr-chuck-lorre-1068074/
    Johnny Galecki has welcomed several of his former Roseanne co-stars, including Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf, into The Big Big Bang Theory universe. However, one person that won't be stopping by is Roseanne Barr.
    "I probably wouldn't go on The Big Bang because me and Chuck Lorre, we're not friends. He should get over it," she told toofab.com at Comic-Con on Thursday. "He's in AA and when people are in AA, they're not very forgiving. They need to start drinking and loosen up, I think!"

• Advertisement

The biggest fee would be Johnny Galeki. Although I'm sure he'd do a few cameos for a reduced fee

Advertisement