Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety/emergency tip

• 10-05-2017 9:22am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I putting this up as we face into the silage season.in the event you need to call the emergency services and you dont know your location ,go to your nearest esb pole and give the pole number to the operater and they will have your exact location.use 911 as it will be picked by any available network or satelite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sticky this for a bit maybe? A lot of spots with poor coverage or hard to describe areas. Only heard this from a neighbour the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can you use the Eircode for your house?
    We had a family emergency a while back. Needed an ambulance. When I was on the phone to the operator, it sounded like she was on Google Earth or similar when I was telling her where we were.
    We got someone to go to the main road exit too and told them the type of car to follow.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Eircode is grand if help is needed to a house, but pole is excellent one if out the field or in yard where most farm accidents occur.

Thanks for posting OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

How accurate is an eircode?

For anyone with smartphones what's the handiest way to get co-ordinates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Right to the house site. Open the eircode site and find your own house on it and you'II see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

For anyone with smartphones what's the handiest way to get co-ordinates?

The Eircode is specific to the house, I've never come across one that has been off target.

What's the handiest way to get GPS coordinates on a fone if there's no pole handy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What's the handiest way to get GPS coordinates on a fone if there's no pole handy

Open up Google. Turn on your location and tap where you are. It should come up on the bottom of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Man down alarm thingy is what you need

Send GPS text message to a few people, should be a few different apps out there

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=and.dev.mandown.alert

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gctest50 wrote: »
    Man down alarm thingy is what you need

Send GPS text message to a few people, should be a few different apps out there

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=and.dev.mandown.alert

We used mam down alarms at work and threw them out.
    Hunker under a machine to adjust something and next thing you know alarm goes off and annoys themhell of everyone. Result was no one took them seriously, kinda like the boy who cried wolf.

I'd also imagine anything that "constantly monitors" anything on your phone will war up battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 WoollyDot

Guys, afaik the emergency services don't use eircode.
    I live a bit in the country – no name on road or number on house – and had to phone for an ambulance last November (2016).
    When I tried to give them the eircode they said to just give them directions, they don't use eircode.
    Crazy, I know, but that was my experience.
    I had to give them directions as they were getting to me but the ambulance was there in 20 mins and they were brilliant. All well in the end thank heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Autoaddress is an app used by a lot of first responders.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Open up Google. Turn on your location and tap where you are. It should come up on the bottom of the screen

I don't understand that

Any chance you could explain it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

WoollyDot wrote: »
    I live a bit in the country – no name on road or number on house – and had to phone for an ambulance last November (2016).
    When I tried to give them the eircode they said to just give them directions, they don't use eircode.
    I had to give them directions as they were getting to me but the ambulance was there in 20 mins and they were brilliant. All well in the end thank heavens.

I was told that the ambulances use Eircodes, I'd suggest that everyone learns theirs as it could mean the difference between an ambulance getting there on time and saving a life or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The National Ambulance Service, have Eircodes loaded into their Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD) and went live in operation in February 2016.

From;
    http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Postcodes/latest-news/Pages/National-Ambulance-Services.aspx

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

WoollyDot wrote: »
    National Ambulance Service do use Eircode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvwSE4IpnIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

K.G. wrote: »
    I putting this up as we face into the silage season.in the event you need to call the emergency services and you dont know your location ,go to your nearest esb pole and give the pole number to the operater and they will have your exact location.use 911 as it will be picked by any available network or satelite

Does "911" definitely work in Ireland? I'd always have just thought 999 or 112.

_Brian wrote: »
    We used mam down alarms at work and threw them out.
    Hunker under a machine to adjust something and next thing you know alarm goes off and annoys themhell of everyone. .........

Must've been sh!te ones

Anyway the motionless timer is adjustable on this app and it has an SOS button

http://www.mandownapp.com

The motionless timer can be set, in hourly increments, for up to 24 hours.

SOS Button: The ManDown App also gives users the option to proactively press the “SOS” button to send an immediate alert, unrelated to lack of mobility. This is a great tool for personal safety or medical alerts, as it immediately sends an “SOS” alert to notify others of the user’s location and convey their need for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

enda1 wrote: »

911 is the american emergency number.

The numbers for Ireland are 999 or 112.

112 is also used European wide, hence why it is used in Ireland as well as 999. See website below.

https://www.112.ie/

Another number to save into your phone is ICE (in case of emergency)

Eg - ICE Wife Jenny, so if something happens someone can scroll down and knows who to call in an emergency. (assuming they can unlock your phone :rolleyes:)

0118 999 881 999 119 725
    …3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

jimmy G M wrote: »

112 is also used European wide, hence why it is used in Ireland as well as 999. See website below.

Eg - ICE Wife Jenny, so if something happens someone can scroll down and knows who to call in an emergency. (assuming they can unlock your phone :rolleyes:)

Yeah exactly. Odd that no one seemed to blink in the thread up to now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mooooo wrote: »
    Sticky this for a bit maybe? A lot of spots with poor coverage or hard to describe areas. Only heard this from a neighbour the other day

Good idea Mooooo, we'll sticky this one for a month.

The esb emergency number is 1850 372 999

This year in the heat the wires are going to sag a bit lower and it's easy snag one with the spout of a harvester.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

jimmy G M wrote: »

My apoligies you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

On iphones ya can access ice numbers from the unlock screen once they've been set using the health app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭tphase

enda1 wrote: »
    911 does work in Ireland but as others have pointed out, it's the emergency number in the US.
    112 is the best number to use, it works with any network provider. 999 only works with your own provider

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

West cork rapid response if ye see it fundraising anywhere do support as they can get to some places faster than ambulances. They have a kitted out four wheel drive that costs a bit to keep manned and on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mooooo wrote: »
    West cork rapid response if ye see it fundraising anywhere do support as they can get to some places faster than ambulances. They have a kitted out four wheel drive that costs a bit to keep manned and on the road.

It's some job that wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Folks, given that we work in the most dangerous industry in Ireland should there be a re-evaluation of how we view Heath & safety?
    I have to add that I work in applying health & safety although I have done plenty of things down through the years which I'm or articulately proud of and have broken bones, suffered injuries and generally had a laidsez faire attitude to safety.
    However the general principle of health & safety is that if proporrly implemented it will cut deaths in half within a short period of time- there will be 60 people saved over a 5 year period.
    I think it would be a great service for independent safety experts from an Agri background to come in annually and carry out a complete audit of a farmer's safety system and make 5 implementable recommendations for the farmer. I think this would be a reasonable amount of improvements.
    The biggest thing with health & safety is that it's very profitable for the farmer to implement as it dramatically reduces the chances of them getting injured therefore they can keep working away.
    I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Mod note H&S thread moved in here as we have a sticky on H&S for the Month

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

An analysis of past deaths and injuries should inform any action or training.

This is very unscientific of me but I give a couple things here.
    A good many of those killed in the last while have been elderly, often by stock.
    Farmers are working harder and longer hours, a good bit of it to do with regulations, to make a living. This makes them more vulnerable to error and accident.
    Almost all farmers nowadays work alone.

The objective is to minimise the number of deaths and injuries. There is a danger of putting systems, more paperwork in place as a bureaucratic solution, that actually will not achieve the desired result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Totally agree that the dept should hire an Independent safety company to audit all farms on safety.

First 5 yrs should be allocated to getting farmers and workers up to date with the current laws and regs.

After that a penalty for anyone that hasn't made a reasonable effort to improve.
    Deaths and serious injury needs to be reduced massively.

It is a culture that needs replacing which will take time and money.

I do an audit here every year with the young lads. We first talk about any incidents that happened that remains in the memory. We move on to walking around to see what looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Advertisement