Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with poorly placed business premises

• 04-05-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭

[Hope this is the correct forum]

So,

A repeating issue on my commute is small businesses that have no parking, no room for parking and whose clientele will park anyways to frequent them.

Examples:

1. Kenilworth Electrical and Virgine Claire
    338 Harold's Cross Rd
    84T0gJUm.jpg

2. Leinster Park Montesori
    Harold's Cross Rd
    kmJfsVym.jpg

3. D2 Montessori
    Richmond Street
    RGDXTmom.jpg

These exist for two reasons:
    A. They're old enough to predate a parking issue/heavy traffic
    B. DCC/ABP have failed horribly in their duties

Ignoring how they came about, whats the solution? What solutions would be employed in Germany/NL? Closing firms down is never going to run, too much of a political minefield. Parking cannot be added, there isnt the space. Moving them? To where, and what happens to the existing building if its a commercial unit but cannot be used commercially because Joe Bloggs wont go anywhere unless he can drive there.

Would love any spitballing on what the city could do to unclog its arteries,
    ED-E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

This is just an enforcement issue.
    There is generally parking available in the vicinity of these locations. It just means a 5-minute walk each way with a small child which no one wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Travel anywhere in Europe and you will see the same thing, especially in older parts of the towns.
    Not much can be done about most of them, the Montessori in Harolds Cross which has been there about 20+ years being a good example, as there is minimal to no parking space now available in that area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray Head wrote: »
    There is generally parking available in the vicinity of these locations. It just means a 5-minute walk each way with a small child which no one wants.

It is quicker to park a 5 min walk from a destination than to try to park as near as possible. Walking with young children is good for the young child and for the parent/carer. Why do people always think they can park just outside their destination? Enforcement is indeed the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While I'm all for enforcement, something we've a tragic shortage of in Dublin (thanks Traffic Corps for being worse than Chief Wiggum), its not the problem here.

Take the Richmond street example. There simply isnt anywhere to park there. The bays near The Bernard Shaw are gone, leaving 3 outside the shop in the wrong direction that are permanently occupied. Parents wont park on Synge street and walk the block. Maybe they should, but thats never happening unless AGS become miracle workers over night.

Personally I'd love to see a Dublin Bus mounted ANPR that auto tickets anyone in a bus lane, technically not difficult, but the same issue arises that it then would shutter those businesses and see a huge backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

It is quicker to park a 5 min walk from a destination than to try to park as near as possible.  Walking with young children is good for the young child and for the parent/carer.  

Yes, I find that a 500m walk with a two- and a four-year old in tow is a highly refreshing and relaxing start to the day, especially when I'm running late for work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes, I find that a 500m walk with a two- and a four-year old in tow is a highly refreshing and relaxing start to the day, especially when I'm running late for work.

You are probably running late because you have been held up by inconsiderate people parking illegally in bus lanes to drop off their 2 and 4 year old, after all they will only be a few minutes and it wont affect anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

ED E wrote: »
    While I'm all for enforcement, something we've a tragic shortage of in Dublin (thanks Traffic Corps for being worse than Chief Wiggum), its not the problem here.

Take the Richmond street example. There simply isnt anywhere to park there. The bays near The Bernard Shaw are gone, leaving 3 outside the shop in the wrong direction that are permanently occupied. Parents wont park on Synge street and walk the block. Maybe they should, but thats never happening unless AGS become miracle workers over night.

Personally I'd love to see a Dublin Bus mounted ANPR that auto tickets anyone in a bus lane, technically not difficult, but the same issue arises that it then would shutter those businesses and see a huge backlash.

Maybe not

I remember when they first introduced "Operation Freeflow" in the late 90's .

The difference in parking behaviour , when people knew there was a good chance of getting a parking fine , from the previous year was amazing .

If there are problem zones after enforcement then they should be dealt with by other means eg engineering works if necessary ,business only parking permits and/or time limits at parking spots enforced by say a camera that takes a picture every 30 minutes and if your car appears in 2 shots then you get a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Oh, that's harsh!

;)

Advertisement