Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you really need a car?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes. Yes I do. On a couple of levels.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

keano_afc wrote: »
    Depends where you live. In Dublin you may get away with relying on public transport but if you live in Not Dublin a car is pretty much essential.

There are a hell of a lot of people in Dublin who could cycle to work instead of driving. Much of the area from the M50 to the centre is within 15 km, 40 minutes at a leisurely pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There are a hell of a lot of people in Dublin who could cycle to work instead of driving. Much of the area from the M50 to the centre is within 15 km, 40 minutes at a leisurely pace.

I live in the countryside and a car is absolutely essential for me, so it doesn't concern me, but I think an important point is that some people's jobs require them to carry stuff.

I know I have a sizable amount of stuff to carry to work every day. If I had to take a bus, it would be a real ordeal.

Add to that the amount of people who, like me, might suffer from arthritis, a bad back, or other ailments that make it difficult to pull/carry weight for any length of time/walk, and you have another portion of users for whom the car is the better option.

Do ye drive in convey or what?

Nope, wife does a round trip of about 70 miles every day for work, and I need a car for my own work, bring the baby to the minder...it would be impossible without 2 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Country type here. I & the Missus need a car each to get to work & bring the kids to school etc.

No brainer for us.

I agree with the OP though. Lots of people in the city don't need to commute in cars at all.:confused:

It's a total waste. If they're hell bent on not using the public transport on offer, why not car-pool?

Anything has to be better than crawling along at 5MPH for hours every day just to get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think it's more to do with people feeling more secure in their cars and free from observation. After a long day at work where you've been talking to people all day, the last thing you want to do is get on a bus and perhaps see someone you know, or risk someone sitting beside you talking crap. You want to sit in your car, turn on the radio, talk to yourself, sing, fart (not me, lol) and just take your mask off and be yourself. Public transport just prolonges the social charade that you've already been a part of all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I live in Cork city and don't really need my car for the city itself tbh. Never drive around the city in it, sure you can walk most places here. I drive to work in it because it usually takes about 7 mins (I avoid the city centre, link etc) as opposed to at least 45 mins in the bus.

The bus take so long as I have to walk to the stop, wait in traffic, and the bus stops loads of times. It goes a different route to the way I'd go in the car. I could take the bus, but the car doesn't cost me much. It's small and economical. I sometimes walk to work but it's all uphill so can be tiring in the morning, good exercise though! I couldn't cycle to work with the hills. If it was less hilly maybe.

The main reason I have the car is for when I go home to Kerry. I can't get buses to friends and family members houses out there. My Mother has a car but it's shared already between her and my brother. I also use it to visit my partner's Father and family in the country. No buses out there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Living in rural Ireland. Being 6 miles from the nearest town means I definitely need my motor, would be lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Assuming they work in the centre, not at the other end of the m50.
    like work in Santry, Live in Sandyford....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yes. Yes I do. On a couple of levels.

Ah, you work for Dublin bus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

They could, but maybe they just don't want to !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The total mismanagement and incompetent running of Bus Eireann has nothing to do with ordinary Bus Drivers or their union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

anna080 wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with people feeling more secure in their cars. After a long day at work where you've been talking to people all day, the last thing you want to do is get on a bus and perhaps see someone you know, or risk someone sitting beside you talking crap. You want to sit in your car, turn on the radio, talk to yourself, sing, fart (not me, lol) and just take your mask off and be yourself. Public transport just prolonges the social charade that you've already been a part of all day.

I love driving, but nothing is worth spending more time on commuting than you have to.

I did city life in the past & found it no problem to use public transport.

A 5MPH crawl in a car is just so soul destroying. I'd have to consider driving an Automatic.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

......... wrote: »
    The total mismanagement and incompetence of Bus Eireann has nothing to do with ordinary Bus Drivers or their union.

End result is the same though. No transport. I'd rather eat grass then be without a car. I'd give up the ride quicker than I'd give up the ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

My job involves travelling around the country (mainly Leinster) every week so would be covering many 100's of km's. When heading to the office, I'm travelling from my home the whole length of the M50 and have to leave by 7-7.10am otherwise it will be a car park.

Frustrating really as I can guarantee a lot on it simply do not absolutely need to take the car. I hate the M50!!!! I also love my car and genuinely enjoy a backroad drive in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I don't drive, very lucky to be living bang in the centre of town in carlow. So when doing shopping etc I walk if it is light enough or the help of my neighbour who also doesn't drive will help me carry them back. If it's a large shop a quick taxi home. For work my boyfriends parents drop me out and pick me up (I only work 2 days a week) it's about a 20 min drive away from home and I pay them for petrol at the end of the month. Then if I'm heading to visit my family back home in wexford it's on the bus.

Manage very easily without it and don't plan on starting. If I could get a job in the town I'd be laughing!

I will say though sometimes on really nice days I get a notion to go somewhere for the day like glendalough or the beach etc and do not have the means to get there but it's grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Then its high time these transport concerns were managed professionally and properly instead of constantly trying to blame ordinary employees for mismanagement's incompetency. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I don't drive, very lucky to be living bang in the centre of town in carlow. So when doing shopping etc I walk if it is light enough or the help of my neighbour who also doesn't drive will help me carry them back. If it's a large shop a quick taxi home. For work my boyfriends parents drop me out and pick me up (I only work 2 days a week) it's about a 20 min drive away from home and I pay them for petrol at the end of the month. Then if I'm heading to visit my family back home in wexford it's on the bus.

Manage very easily without it and don't plan on starting. If I could get a job in the town I'd be laughing!

I will say though sometimes on really nice days I get a notion to go somewhere for the day like glendalough or the beach etc and do not have the means to get there but it's grand!
    I became cynical at that point. Many would cry "bs".

Beyondgone wrote: »
    I became cynical at that point. Many would cry "bs".

Cry away my friend, tissue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

On a more serious note why would I want to cycle 40 mins to work in the pissing rain when I could be in work in 8 mins in a nice warm car and not smell like crap all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's very easy talk like that when you're lucky to have people to ferry you around. I think every youngster in school (Transition year perhaps?) should be taught how to drive. It's an important life skill and one that can limit you later on if you can't drive. Even if you've no intention of ever owning a car, you're taking away your ability to hire one or to drive your OH's car. You're limiting your career opportunities and you're making your world very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

It's very easy talk like that when you're lucky to have people to ferry you around. I think every youngster in school (Transition year perhaps?) should be taught how to drive. It's an important life skill and one that can limit you later on if you can't drive. Even if you've no intention of ever owning a car, you're taking away your ability to hire one or to drive your OH's car. You're limiting your career opportunities and you're making your world very small.

We don't need it right now so there's no real point for us to get a car etc and put extra bills into the mix, if the need ever arises it will be considered. As for now we are quite happy being carless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

anna080 wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with people feeling more secure in their cars and free from observation. After a long day at work where you've been talking to people all day, the last thing you want to do is get on a bus and perhaps see someone you know, or risk someone sitting beside you talking crap. You want to sit in your car, turn on the radio, talk to yourself, sing, fart (not me, lol) and just take your mask off and be yourself. Public transport just prolonges the social charade that you've already been a part of all day.

Down to a tee!!!!!
    I'll gladly sit in traffic,doing what I want,when I want in the privacy of my own transport.
    Cars are freedom.
    I won't be tamed by public transport,
    I'd rather die!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed.

I don't own a car. When I need one, I catch a taxi or I rent a car.

I take jobs within walking or public transport distance - yes this can limit me a little in where I work. But who wants to be trapped in a car for hours each day commuting, I've better things to be doing with my time.

The only thing I miss is spontaneous trips out to nice places (beaches, parks etc) on fine days. But I don't miss it enough to pay thousands for insurance and parking, much less NCT, maintenance and the cost of having the capital tied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have 2 and need both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

There is only one thing worse than cyclists and that's motorists.

Advertisement