Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Senior Football Championships 2017 - Read Mod Note Post #1

• 09-04-2017 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mod Note: As usual, personal abuse of posters, players and managers is a no-no. Using terms like scum(bag), thug, etc. will get you infracted or banned.
    As the championship ramps up and this thread gets busier, it's likely that there will be a zero tolerance policy to breaches of charter so there will be no excuse.
    While this thread can be used to discuss matches, please feel free to create a dedicated match thread for any match if you wish.

The Glorious Time of the year is just upon us :D:D:D:D

Connacht Championship

Prem Round
    Sun7th May- New York vs Sligo- Gaelic Park NY

QFs
    Sun 21st May- Mayo vs Sligo/New York- Machale Park
    Sun28th May- London vs Leitrim- Ruislip London

SFS
    Sun 11th June- Galway vs Mayo/Sligo/New York- Pearse Stadium
    Sun 18th June- Roscommon vs London/Leitrim- Dr Hyde Park

Final- Sun 9th July

Leinster Championship

Round 1
    Sun 21st May- Louth v Wicklow, Parnell Park, 3pm
    Sun 21st May- Laois v Longford, O'Moore Park, 3pm
    Sun 21st May- Carlow v Wexford, Netwatch Cullen Park, 3pm

QFS
    Sat 3rd June- Dublin vs Carlow/Wexford- Dr Cullen Park/Wexford Park
    Sun 4th June- Louth/Wicklow v Meath, Parnell Park/Aughrim, 3pm
    Sun 4th June- Laois/Longford v Kildare, O'Connor Park, 3pm
    Sun 11th June-Offaly v Westmeath, O'Connor Park, 3pm

SFS
    Sat 17th June- Louth/Wicklow/Meath v Laois/Longford/Kildare, Croke Park, 7pm
    Sun 25th June- Carlow/Wexford/Dublin v Offaly/Westmeath, Croke Park, 4pm

Final- Sun 16th July- Croke Park

Munster
    QFs
    Sat 27th/Sun 28th May- Waterford v Cork, Fraher Field, TBC
    Sat 27th/Sun 28th May- Clare v Limerick, Cusack Park, TBC

SFS
    Sat 10th June/Sun 11th June- Kerry vs Clare/Limerick- Fitzgerald Stadium/Cusack Park, TBC
    Sat 10th June/Sun 11th June- Tipperary vs Cork/Waterford- Semple Stadium/Pairc Ui Rinn

Final- Sun 2nd July

Ulster

Prem Round

Sat 20th May- Monaghan v Fermanagh, Clones, TBC

QFs
    Sun 21st May- Donegal v Antrim, Ballybofey, TBC
    Sun 28th May- Derry v Tyrone, Celtic Park, TBC
    Sun 4th June- Down v Armagh, Pairc Esler, TBC
    Sun 11th June- Cavan v Monaghan/Fermanagh, TBC, TBC

SFs
    Sun 18th June- Derry/Tyrone v Donegal/Antrim, TBC, TBC
    Sat 24th June- Down/Armagh v Cavan/Monaghan/Fermanagh, TBC, TBC

Final- Sun 16th July

Qualfiers

1A Round 1- Sat 17th June
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC

1B Round 1- Sat 24th June
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC
    TBC v TBC, TBC, TBC

1A- Round 2- Sat 1st July
    Provincial semi-final loser v Round 1A winner, TBC, TBC

1B- Round 2- Sat 8th July
    Provincial semi-final loser v Round 1B winner, TBC, TBC

1A- Round 3- Sat 8th July
    Round 2A winner v Round 2A winner, TBC, TBC
    Round 2A winner v Round 2A winner, TBC, TBC

1B- Round 3- Sat 15th July
    Round 2B winner v Round 2B winner, TBC, TBC
    Round 2B winner v Round 2B winner, TBC, TBC

1A- Round 4- Sat 22nd July
    Connacht final runner-up v Round 3A winner, TBC, TBC
    Munster final runner-up v Round 3A winner, TBC, TBC

1B Round 4- Sat 29th July
    Leinster final runner-up v Round 3B winner, TBC, TBC
    Ulster final runner-up v Round 3B winner, TBC, TBC

Quarter Finals
    Sun 30th July- Connacht final winner v Round 4A winner- Croke Park
    Sun 30th July- Munster final winner v Round 4A winner- Croke Park
    Sat 5th Aug-Leinster final winner v Round 4B winner- Croke Park
    Sat 5th Aug- Ulster final winner v Round 4B winner- Croke Park

Semi finals
    Sun 20th Aug- Connacht final winner/Round 4A winner v Munster final winner/Round 4A winner- Croke Park
    Sun 27th Aug- Leinster final winner/Round 4B winner v Ulster final winner/Round 4B winner- Croke Park

Final- Sun 17th Sep- Croke Park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well after today's result it should be an interesting year to look forward to.

Dublin are obviously the team to beat.

IMO they are no longer the rampant Dublin of a few years ago.
    Since the Donegal QF last year they have been vulnerable and this season league and today only highlighted that.

Last year they ran the table in the league and won the final handy

This year they drew three games, came back from the dead in one and ultimately lost the final.

Now whether Dublin were willing to sacrifice the league for the quest for 3 in a row is a possibility, but I don;'t think anyone will look at Dublin the same way as they did this time last year.

They will walk Leinster, Kildare may be the best of the bunch there with their promotion but they will still merely try and keep the score down,as Westmeath have done in the past few years.

Who Dublin meet next will be interesting, their QF is v a B side qualifier.
    The B side contains the loser of Ulster or their conqueror, but it will not contain one of Tyrone or Donegal, as they meet in an A side Ulster game earlier.
    The next toughest B side team would be Monagahn, so there is a chance that Dublin's QF will be against one of Tyrone/Monaghan or Donegal

The SF then would be against the Ulster champ or someone else from the B side.
    So Dublin will likely have Ulster challengers in both QF and SF

Kerry should again win Munster, even though people wrote off Cork in 2015 and they brought Kerry to a replay, Cork have fallen a few rungs since.
    Tipp the story of last year have been handed a SF spot v (likely) Cork which is scant reward for getting to the final last year.

Munster champs play an A side qualifier in the QF, and that could be one of Donegal, Tyrone, Mayo, or Galway

Ulster will be competitive, it's between Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan in my opinion.
    Tyrone's stock has really fallen in the last few weeks with the poor end to their league, so they will have a point to prove if they make it as far as a possibly SF v Donegal.

In Connacht Mayo will have to travel to Galway if they beat Sligo or NY in the QF
    That will not be easy for them, Galway will be on a high after their League 2 success and will want to make amend in 2017 for their dismal loss to Tipp, easiest way to do that is win Connacht and get back into a QF

Mayo will want to win Connacht back and show that last years SF was a fluke, but they have had a up and down league so getting past Galweay will not be easy

Whom ever wins that likely plays Roscommon in the final and Roscommon are a bit of a mess right now

They can help themselves by losing the final the first day and avoiding the 6 day turn around

So in Summary
    Mayo v Kerry AI SF, Kerry win in a replay
    The next day Dublin lose to an Ulster team and Kerry win the All Ireland without having to face Dublin,again.

Seriously, a Mayo v Kerry SF is likely and could go anyway,and a Dublin v Ulster SF will not be the gimme that many may have expected it to be a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm gonna burst with excitement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ulster

Donegal v Monaghan final

Donegal win

Usual stroll for Dublin in Leinster

Connacht

Winner takes all clash in Salthill Galway v Mayo.A win for a fast improving Galway would be no surprise but Mayo experience may get them over the line.

Munster

Tipperary win v Cork but will come short against Kerry.

Semi finals

Kerry win v Mayo possibly after a replay.

Dublin win v Donegal

Kerry V Dublin final.

Kerry win by a single score.

The Kingdom have an absolutely frightening amount of talent coming through and they should be playing with a fully fit panel with James O Donoghue,Shane Enright returning to the fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I shall give my opinion near Aug as we see the championship unfolding. Looking at the teams now I don't see any changes in the usual suspects apart from Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Which of the Ulster sides are likely to beat Dublin though come August? Monaghan established division one team right now but they still haven't got past the AI quarter final stage.

Donegals fitness level were high during the league maintaining that fitness for the business end of the championship will be tough.

Tyrone simply lack the scoring forwards but could well reach the semi final again.

• Advertisement

This all starts at the weekend when NY take on Sligo.

And I see that in advance of that Sligo are putting in a few excuses in case they are the ones that finally suffer a loss in NY.

Carew: New York game a 'disaster' for depleted Sligo
    ?http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0502/871804-niall-carew/
    Sligo manager Niall Carew has criticised the Connacht Council?s scheduling of Sunday?s Championship opener with New York as he will be shorn three key players owing to college exams.

The Connacht Championship gets underway on Sunday night (8.15pm Irish time) when New York will hope to put in a repeat of last year?s performance where the underdogs almost pulled off the shock of the season before eventually falling to a one-point defeat to Roscommon.

Already minus the services of star forward and prolific scorer Niall Murphy with a hamstring injury, the Yeats County also be without Kevin McDonnell, Luke Nicholson and Gerard O'Kelly-Lynch as the trio have exams the day after the match.

The three defenders were likely starters, with O'Kelly-Lynch and Nicholson involved in Sligo?s run to the U21 Connacht Final, which they lost to Galway after extra-time.

Speaking on the RT? GAA Podcast, Carew was clearly dismayed with the authorities? decision, and their unwillingness to change.

"In the wisdom of the Conancht Council, they fixed this game right in the middle of exams," he said.

"It?s a bit of a disaster for us. We just have to get on with it."
    "It was cast in stone seemingly with no way of shifting it."

"I can?t ask players to be home in time to sit their exams on Monday morning at 9 o?clock when the game is at half 8 Irish time Sunday night.

"It?s a bit of a disaster for us. We just have to get on with it.

Carew said his team will travel to New York with their "eyes wide open" following Roscommon?s struggles in the preliminary fixture last year.

Trailing by four at the break, the home side rallied and nearly pulled off the biggest win in their history before the Rossies prevailed by the bare minimum.

Listen to live coverage of New York v Sligo in the Connacht Championship on RT? Radio 1 on Sunday night from 8pm Irish time (throw-in 8.15pm).

Carew could have done a little research before opening running with his excuses.

http://connachtgaa.ie/connacht-gaa-press-release/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Kingdom have an absolutely frightening amount of talent coming through and they should be playing with a fully fit panel with James O Donoghue,Shane Enright returning to the fold.

I would suggest that under 21s prove that there is a wee bit of hype around the Kingdom! Only beat Dublin by width of a goal post when Dublin were starting to over run them.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I would suggest that under 21s prove that there is a wee bit of hype around the Kingdom! Only beat Dublin by width of a goal post when Dublin were starting to over run them.

Any bit of hype about the Kerry U21 and more particularly about Jack O Connor has died down in the last few weeks obviously.

It will be interesting to see how Fitzmaurice preforms this season and how Jack will do next year in his third year in charge

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Any bit of hype about the Kerry U21 and more particularly about Jack O Connor has died down in the last few weeks obviously.

I haven't seen that at all. Maybe you are closer to it but thinking about the underage teams is still outselling Xanax in helping some sleep at night imo. There should be no hype about O'Connor he's a proven performer.

It's a fantastic opportunity for Mayo to beat Kerry this year if that game happens. The new intensity that Kerry have could easily be matched by that Mayo squad if they were up for it they've been the best at that style for a few years now, is it in the tank this year though?

Unfortunately the risk is there that it would be "their all Ireland" if they won and lost focus. Let's not forget where the 2016 U21 winners were from though

Donegal is Ulster's best bet IMO but that's just based on what i saw in the league with their young blood and partly on the fact that I couldn't see Tyrone beating Kerry / Mayo or Dublin later on as they appear weaker this year than last.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I haven't seen that at all. Maybe you are closer to it but thinking about the underage teams is still outselling Xanax in helping some sleep at night imo. There should be no hype about O'Connor he's a proven performer.

It's a fantastic opportunity for Mayo to beat Kerry this year if that game happens. The new intensity that Kerry have could easily be matched by that Mayo squad if they were up for it they've been the best at that style for a few years now, is it in the tank this year though?

Unfortunately the risk is there that it would be "their all Ireland" if they won and lost focus. Let's not forget where the 2016 U21 winners were from though

Donegal is Ulster's best bet IMO but that's just based on what i saw in the league with their young blood and partly on the fact that I couldn't see Tyrone beating Kerry / Mayo or Dublin later on as they appear weaker this year than last.

There has been a certain amount of talk around Kerry about how Fitzmaurice is meerly holding the fort for O Connor, but that has kind of changed since Fitzmaurice led Kerry to the league and O Connor failed for another year to get to a U21 final.

I agree it's a great chance for Mayo to beat Kerry if that match happens, but I think this group of Mayo players are far more "professional" to fall into the trap of thinking it is their All Ireland.

But no doubt that will be thrown out there by some pundit if they reach and lose the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I do hold off championship posting till May but relax fellow boardsies you can rest assured that I'll be spamming this forum from now until immediately after Tyrone get put out in early August.

First game this weekend. Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Jayop wrote: »
    I do hold off championship posting till May but relax fellow boardsies you can rest assured that I'll be spamming this forum from now until immediately after Tyrone get put out in early August.

First game this weekend. Exciting times.

We have our knives sharpened, don't worry :)

On another note, Kerry would be mad to go back to O'Connor. His tactics in 21s semi final were a disaster and he gives me the impression that once he has mind up he won't change for any reason. Comes across a bit bitter too about Tyrone, Cork and Dublin. Who committed the mortal sin of beating his teams :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Bonniedog wrote:
    On another note, Kerry would be mad to go back to O'Connor. His tactics in 21s semi final were a disaster and he gives me the impression that once he has mind up he won't change for any reason. Comes across a bit bitter too about Tyrone, Cork and Dublin. Who committed the mortal sin of beating his teams :-)

I wouldn't agree with a lot of what you say but this certainly seems to be the case.

There was an extract in Donaghy's book about introducing situational plays in to training (5 points down 5 minutes to go). It was pretty comprehensively shot down. Jack's way or the highway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Too early to predict.

Tipps run last year could not have been forseen.

I dont think Dublin will win it though. Two All Irelands in a row is a lot of milage.

I'm assuming we're doing the pools again this year. Hope I don't miss the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Too early to predict.

Tipps run last year could not have been forseen.

I dont think Dublin will win it though. Two All Irelands in a row is a lot of milage.

Don't know if I'd fully agree with this.

Tipp only went one stage further in 2016 (semi-final v quarter-final)than they did in 2015 and their championship run in the two years is fairly similar, with the difference being in 2016 the draw was kinder to them - being drawn against Derry and Galway to get to a semi-final is a lot kinder draw than Louth and Tyrone.

In 2015 they were beaten by 2 teams – Kerry who got to the final and Tyrone who got to the semi-final. They beat Waterford by 22 points, lost to Kerry by 6, beat Louth by 23 points, and lost to Tyrone by 12 in the quarter-final.

In 2016 they were beaten by 2 teams – Mayo who got to the final and Kerry who got to the semi-final. Kerry in the Munster final and Mayo in the All-Ireland semi-final, They beat Waterford by 7 points, lost to Kerry by 10, beath Derry by a point, beat Galway by 9 and lost to Mayo by 5.

I think they were a bit of a surprise package to some because they had a very mediocre league campaign last year. However they really had an injury-ravaged league campaign plus weren't helped by the fact that Clonmel Commercials were involved with the club All-Ireland.

Also From March 2015 ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94733085&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm assuming we're doing the pools again this year. Hope I don't miss the thread.

New York game wasn't included last year so I assume it will be the same this year.

You could certainly see Tipp getting to the Munster final again this year and if/when they get beat by Kerry they're straight into round 4. A decent draw and you wouldn't one bit be surprised to see them make a quarter final with their tails up again. Who do they play then, looks like Mayo/Roscommon or Kerry in the quarters.

Can a provincial loser get their provincial winner in the quarters this year?

You could certainly see Tipp getting to the Munster final again this year and if/when they get beat by Kerry they're straight into round 4. A decent draw and you wouldn't one bit be surprised to see them make a quarter final with their tails up again. Who do they play then, looks like Mayo/Roscommon or Kerry in the quarters.

Can a provincial loser get their provincial winner in the quarters this year?

No that can never happen.

What could very likely happen this year is that a provincial winner could meet the provincial loser in the SF.

In your example Tipp could play Connacht winners in QF and then play the winner of the Munster champs QF in the SF.

That was not possible the last few years.

• Advertisement

[/b]

No that can never happen.

What could very likely happen this year is that a provincial winner could meet the provincial loser in the SF.

In your example Tipp could play Connacht winners in QF and then play the winner of the Munster champs QF in the SF.

That was not possible the last few years.

I thought not but when I was looking at the OP the route Tipp will likely take to the quarters has them facing either Munster or Connacht. So yeah, very likely that they will have to face Mayo this year unless there's an upset along the way.

Tough draw that. I think most qualifiers now would prefer to meet the Ulster winner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

We really should be aiming for a Leinster final yet if we're not on our game, Louth could easily knock us out in our first game (sorry Wicklow, can't see ye causing an upset).
    Our last 2 games have given us cause for optimism that we're getting over our nasty habit of going missing for long periods of a game.
    If/when we go into the qualifiers, even one win would nearly do. We haven't won a game in the qualifiers since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If/when we go into the qualifiers, even one win would nearly do. We haven't won a game in the qualifiers since 2011.
    wow never thought it was that long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

wow never thought it was that long.
    Yup. Last win was against Galway in PT when Banty was manager. Since then we've lost to Laois, Tyrone, Armagh, Tyrone (again) and Derry. We have a serious problem with Ulster teams so it would be nice to avoid them this year.

I thought not but when I was looking at the OP the route Tipp will likely take to the quarters has them facing either Munster or Connacht. So yeah, very likely that they will have to face Mayo this year unless there's an upset along the way.

Tough draw that. I think most qualifiers now would prefer to meet the Ulster winner.

If Tipp were to reach the quarter final would they not play the Ulster winner?

In round 4 their likely opponents are
    galway if they lose to Mayo,Tyrone if they don't win Ulster, Cork,kildare all arguably tougher opposition than Derry in round 4 last year

If Tipp were to reach the quarter final would they not play the Ulster winner?

In round 4 their likely opponents are
    galway if they lose to Mayo,Tyrone if they don't win Ulster, Cork,kildare all arguably tougher opposition than Derry in round 4 last year

Presuming they get to the Munster final (which I was doing) then...

Munster final runner-up (Tipp) v Round 3A winner, TBC, TBC

Quarter Finals
    Sun 30th July- Connacht final winner v Round 4A winner (Tipp)- Croke Park

Presuming they get to the Munster final (which I was doing) then...

Munster final runner-up (Tipp) v Round 3A winner, TBC, TBC

Quarter Finals
    Sun 30th July- Connacht final winner v Round 4A winner (Tipp)- Croke Park

Ok so beat Cork and lose the Munster final and become part of the A section of draw or lose to Cork and go into the B section.

I'm not right sure how the division into a and b goes before that stage tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I reckon New York could do a job on Sligo this weekend.

They have some very, very good players. Conor McGraynor, Ross Wherity and Tom Cunniffe among others.

Sligo are missing a few men as well. By no means a sure thing.

Sligo will knock them around the place now that I've posted this lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Faugheen wrote: »
    I reckon New York could do a job on Sligo this weekend.

They have some very, very good players. Conor McGraynor, Ross Wherity and Tom Cunniffe among others.

Sligo are missing a few men as well. By no means a sure thing.

Sligo will knock them around the place now that I've posted this lol
    Open to correction but Sligo are missing just 3 starters.

Aidan Devaney

Ross Donovan, Charlie Harrison, Eoin McHugh

Keelan Cawley, Brendan Egan, John Kelly

Cian Breheny, Adrian McIntyre

Neil Ewing, Mark Breheny, Kyle Cawley

Stephen Coen, Pat Hughes, Adrian Marren

In Donovan,Harrison,Egan,McIntyre,M Breheny,Marren Sligo should be enough experience in that team not to get caught cold and looking at that forward line they should have too much firepower for New York.

New York lacking scorers in their team this year. Darren Freeman of Monghan,Luke Loughlin Westmeath are gone back to Ireland and Brian Connor of Offaly who scored 3 or 4 points against Roscommon last May did his ACL recently.

I think Sligo will win comfortably.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement