Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PB or not PB...that is the question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭Cartman78

tailgunner wrote: »
    Hope that's the end of it for you, sounds like a nightmare alright!

Cheers...still feeling groggy but I think he worst is probably over now.

Have GP appointment on Monday and need to follow up with urologist as well so will find out about when it's safe to get back doing light exercise

Still in a bit of limbo....trying to taper down the painkillers and get back the normal but the pain has flared up badly over the last day or so.

Not sure if it's part of the healing process or bits of stones moving about....either way it doesn't look like I'll be back running anytime soon.

I am back walking though which is a start I guess....hit 10,000 steps yesterday for the first time in ages.

Considering moving this log into the "Long Term Illness" forum at this stage :-)

Things are still very up and down, seems to be a case of two steps forward and one back. Off all the heavy meds and painkillers so hopefully will get back to normal soon.

Best case scenario at the moment would be back running in early April but a lot of scans and tests to get through first.

Not a whole lot to update unfortunately....genuinely thought I'd be back back to normality at this stage.

Have been hitting the 10,000 steps most days, and even tried out a gentle cycle and very leisurely jog earlier this week. Seemed like I was turning the corner but the last 48 hours have been sh1t....pain, nausea & loss of appetite :-(

Anyway sorry for the whinging, gutted to be off the road and missing loads of races but I'll come back at some stage :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

You're being very positive in the face of things, fair play!

• Advertisement

Happy to report that my KS25K (Kidney Stones to 5K) programme is very tentatively underway :-)

Have got a couple of gentle outings in over the last few days.....nothing worth logging here really...would be better suited to the Jogging Forum :-)

Just relieved to be back on my feet to be honest.

Still not fully recovered....ironically sitting down at a desk for long periods would be far more challenging than running at the moment. Hoping to get back to work the week after next all things going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Glad to read that you are on the mend somewhat. Hope to are back to full strength and running soon.

Finally back doing something that approaches running....it's all about recovery at the moment but going well so far. I think all the endless hours of walking I was doing probably helped to maintain some level of fitness.

I've managed to get my hands on a comp entry for the Great Limerick Run so might have a crack at the 6 miler....I won't be pushing for a time but will be nice to do a big event on my doorstep

01/04/2017

4.5K - Road - 22:47 - AC

03/04/2017

6K - Road - 29:10 - AC

05/04/2017

8.3K - Road - 38:52 - AC

07/04/2017

7.15K - Road - 32:52 - AC

09/04/2017

8.3K - Road - 39:02 - AC

Weigh-in Update:

09/01/2017 - 78.9 kg

16/01/2017 - 76.8kg

23/01/2017 - 77.7kg

11/04/2017 - 76.9kg

First weigh-in in a while - my diet went fairly haywire while I was sick....some of the meds gave me a serious craving for chocolate and then at other times I could go for a day and a half without eating anything.

Back in a good routine again so would expect it to stabilise a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Best of luck if you decide to go for the GLR. Been a sucky year so far but hopefully it will springboard you into the summer. Will you be doing any of the Ballyhoura races this year?

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Best of luck if you decide to go for the GLR. Been a sucky year so far but hopefully it will springboard you into the summer. Will you be doing any of the Ballyhoura races this year?

I'd be hoping to do maybe 2 or 3 of them alright, depending on fitness and family commitments.

I think I've missed Bilboa the last 2 years....had been on a 9 year consecutive streak up til then.

Would like to do one of the Micheal Rejmer races and Mungret 10K too if possible so should be a busy few weeks if all goes to plan.

The Dundrum 10K in July might be a realistic 'target' race now

11/04/2017:

5K - Treadmill - 23:03 - SK

First time back on the dreadmill since January - took it easy enough, worked my way up to 15kmph for the last 500m or so.

Feeling good - no niggles anywhere really so fingers crossed i get a clear run at it now for a while

15/04/2017

10K - Road - 47:54 - AC

17/04/2017

10K - Road - 45:53 - AC

Two pretty standard 10K efforts over the long weekend. Near perfect running conditions - cool, dry and only a light wind.

Things were pretty higgledy-piggledy since last update - kids sick and work sh1t :mad:

Still, not feeling too bad all things considered :pac:

11/04/2017

5K - Treadmill - 21:48 - SK

Another decent workout....still feel like i'm very much in the recovery zone so not pushing myself too hard.

20/04/2017

5K - Road - 21:33 - AT

Decided to do a mini time-trial today to gauge where I’m at performance wise.

It was definitely my hardest effort run since recent return – wasn’t quite flat out and probably had a bit more left in the tank than I would have expected :cool:

21/04/2017

7K - Road - 31:27 - AD

First attempt at a tempo run since late January….felt ok but was a bit rusty pacing wise. Generally feeling bit flat and meh….will be hitting the foam roller and then bed early tonight :pac:

The aim was 7km x 4:30 = 31:30 so wasn’t too far off target, although not quite as metronomic as I have been before….I may have been subconsciously banking a bit of time for the last 1k which was both uphill and into the wind.

1. 4:31
    2. 4:26
    3. 4:32
    4. 4:25
    5. 4:25
    6. 4:28
    7. 4:35

24/04/2017

8K - Threadmill - 34:23 – SK

Missed out of my planned NRTLSR* of 12K yesterday…have been struggling with a sinus/headcold/man flu the last couple of days so didn’t make it out at all over the weekend. The kids have been sick as well so it’s been a bit of a slog all round really.
    (* Not Really That Long Slow Run)

Didn’t fancy heading out in blustery conditions in Shannon today so hopped on the threadmill to clear my head a bit.

Set the speed at 14kmph (~4:17 per km) and stayed on it for 7km – will admit to getting bored at the end so upped the pace for the last few hundred metres just to get the session over with.

Felt more comfortable than I expected – didn’t think I’d actually last the 8km to be honest.

25/04/2017

6 x 1K Intervals - Road - AD

Braved the artic conditions last night to hammer out a few intervals – was a coin toss between that or having a very early night but glad I went out in the end even if I was once again feeling a bit flat.

1. 4:19
    2. 4:14
    3. 4:22
    4. 4:11
    5. 4:18
    6. 4:31

Not too bad overall – the last one was slow as the first 300m were straight up a dirty big hill.

Rest day today – will do another threadmill session tomorrow and then something quicker on Friday to tune up for the GLR 6 Miler on Sunday.

27/04/2017

2K - Threadmill - 7:48 - SK

Bit of a mess tbh….went down the gym a bit earlier than normal and all the threadmills were being used so ended up doing 20 mins on a cross trainer and then hopping on the threadmill right at the very end.

Absolutely no goal or structure to it….it just felt good to be running fast :pac::pac::pac::pac:

28/04/2017

7K - Road - 30:37 - AC

The aim today was 7km x 4:20 = 30:20 so not a million miles off I guess.

As per last Friday's run, I found it a struggle to keep the pace even, although the speed itself wasn't a problem

1. 4:23
    2. 4:20
    3. 4:22
    4. 4:25
    5. 4:18
    6. 4:15
    7. 4:29

Anyway, all set for the GLR 6 Miler on Sunday - have a PB or 40:08 in this event from 2015. Not sure what the target is for me this time around tbh....will give it a lash anyway and hope for the best

• Advertisement

Good luck on Sunday, hope the run goes well for you.

30/04/2017

Great Limerick Run 6 Miler

9.75K - Road - 40:27 - AD

First race since last November so was feeling a bit nervous in the build up.

Left it as late as possible to head into town – was lucky to get some nice ninja parking just off the Dock Rd. so was only about a 5 minute walk from the start.

There was already a massive crowd gathered so did some warm up and strides on a quiet street before heading in. Made my way up as close as I could to the start but gave up about 15 yards back – there was a lot of gangs of walkers with headphones on so no budging those people unfortunately.

I knew the first few hundred metres were going to be chaotic so wanted to get out as quick as possible and into open space – had a couple of near misses but was able to get into a steady stride easily enough. I know the course pretty well too from years of running around Limerick so settled into a nice groove for the first couple of KM.

My mind briefly wandered into the prospect of a possible PB and sub-40 but that was quickly dismissed – I remember feeling slightly gassed around the 3KM marker and knew straight away that the rest of the run was about managing my energy and not blowing up. Had a couple of slower KM’s after that but got a second wind then and was in a mini-battle with a couple of runners until the end (which they ultimately won).

The long drag from the Gaelic grounds sapped me a bit but kept the engine going and put on a sprint finish for the last 800m or so. Knew I was going to miss the sub 40 and course PB (40:08) but was delighted to cross the line in 40:26. That equates to ~41:30 10K pace so not bad going considering the last few months.

Was a bit knackered at the end but not totally wrecked – could I have given a bit more/pushed a bit harder? Probably to be honest, but the pace and endurance were way beyond anything I’ve done in training really so I think I made the right call in not going full 100% flat out on the first race back.

1) 3:55
    2) 4:08
    3) 4:04
    4) 4:11
    5) 4:18
    6) 4:08
    7) 4:07
    8) 4:25
    9) 4:15
    10) 2:54 (750m)

Overall, I’ve got to be happy with that and it gives me confidence that I can salvage something from the summer yet. Need to add in a long run on a more consistent basis - the last few weekends have been dominated by chicken pox and chest infections at home, so fingers crossed things settle down a bit from here on.

Not sure what race is up next – the Mungret 10K is an option, the Galbally 4 miler on Friday week also tempting.

Nicely done. You've bounced back very quickly in the last month, fair play.

Delighted Sunday's race went well for you. Well done.

tailgunner wrote: »
    Nicely done. You've bounced back very quickly in the last month, fair play.

Cheers, I think all the mind-numbing walking I did while I was recovering probably helped to keep the legs turning over.

If only my fecking Fantasy Football Team was that resilient :pac:

Ha, it's gone the other way around for me. Pathetic running, but my team is flying!

30/04/2017

6K - Threadmill - 30:16 - SK

Very gentle jaunt on the dreadmill - my left Achilles has flared up a wee bit over the last week, so will be keeping a close eye on it.

Did 12 mins at 11.5kmph, 12 mins at 12kmph and upped the pace a small bit for the last few minutes through sheer boredom (and there was someone else waiting for the threadmill :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Congrats on Sunday Cartman, great run.

03/05/2017

7.15K - Road - 32:23 – AC

Possibly my most enjoyable run of the year - went out around 8pm, perfect conditions – light breeze, sun shining, flora and fauna sprouting everywhere, lambs and calves frolicking in the fields etc. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The running itself was ok, kept it at a comfortable 4:40km pace. My left Achilles has tightened up a bit though – been niggling for the last 10 days or so…have booked in a physio session tomorrow evening to loosen it out

• Advertisement

08/05/2017

6.50K - Threadmill - 28:33 - SK

Took the weekend off running after physio on Friday evening – my calves/Achilles were tight as opposed to injured but decided to err on the side of caution anyway.

Enjoyed the workout today – increased the pace by 0.5 kmph every 5 minutes so was going at a nice clip at the end.

My left Achilles was a little stiff starting out but settled down ok and feels fine now so fingers crossed it settles down.

Advertisement