Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

onrail wrote: »
    Ran a very disappointing 39:32 after. Wind and rain didn't help - and possibly had me resigned to a slowish time before I started.

There's another race coming up in a couple of weeks; so might give that one a proper go!

Similar to myself today then. After last week's 37.33 I had another go on a flatter course. Bloody wind did for a better time though. I have it as 37.55 on the watch. Last two times I did those 2 races I've improved on the second by 20 to 30 seconds. This year I lost 20 seconds!!

Not really disappointed though. I raced it fairly well. No-one passed me once we settled down after a km or so. Worked with a bloke for 2 or 3k into the wind. Lovely bit of unspoken camaraderie. Beat him by 20 or so seconds in the end :)

That's it for me and the 10k for a bit now. Good luck to anyone else giving it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I got the first session (6*1m) out of the way today, Absolute ****e day for it but it had to be done. I want to go :heart:8mins in 6 weeks so I was trying to avg around 6:04 ended up closer to 6:08 per mile. I'll try do 1*4m+1*2m next at a similar pace.

jamule wrote: »
    I got the first session (6*1m) out of the way today, Absolute ****e day for it but it had to be done. I want to go :heart:8mins in 6 weeks so I was trying to avg around 6:04 ended up closer to 6:08 per mile. I'll try do 1*4m+1*2m next at a similar pace.

Jamule, are ya doing a speedier short session as well? Ya know, 200s or 400s?

Itziger wrote: »
    Jamule, are ya doing a speedier short session as well? Ya know, 200s or 400s?

Oh god yeah, i love short ones. I'll try alternate them with the long reps, some weeks i'll end up doing both bit will cut back the tempo or long run that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭ Kohen Clever Tanner

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I never got the 4*1+1*2 done last week due to spraining my ankle on the Monday. Got back running on Friday Done a 5k race on Sunday, for some unknown reason I ran it easy in 19:10, felt good after it (disappointment for not trying to hard!)

Got out on Tuesday and done a heap (24) of 200m, felt really good after them, avg was 42s except for the last 2 where I pushed hard for just :heart:0s.

Headed out for 2*1m+2*2m today, all good (05:53, 05:49, 11:52 & 11:48), a bit faster than what I wanted (and thought) but the effort felt like I was holding back (HR was slightly less than expected too).

I'll get a long run in on Sunday and follow up with a tempo on Tuesday and then a heap of 400s on thursday. 2 weeks to goto the 3*2m! I think I'm looking forward to it more than the actual 10km race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭onrail

onrail wrote: »
    Ran a very disappointing 39:32 after. Wind and rain didn't help - and possibly had me resigned to a slowish time before I started.

There's another race coming up in a couple of weeks; so might give that one a proper go!

38:52 yesterday on a flat, but windy course. There's the target for the year sorted!

Had a good 2 weeks up to easter but all went to fook this week. First got a blister last week that turned into a hole in my foot, had to wait for monday to get a long run in. Felt cold and terible after it, ended up in horrors tues and weds, shivers, shakes and aches.

Got back to running today.

No 3*2m.

Not sure if i have the strenght or its worth doing tommorrow. Should i give up on it and take a few more easy days before doing a few sharpe short shocks next week. Either way i'll still be aimimg for sub 38 sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Well I got to try out session 1 of the best 10k workouts by McMillan, I must admit I was nervous about giving it a bash after reading the reports..started out with a 1mile warm-up but was pretty happy with my reps..repeats came in at 6.38/6.37/6.40/6.37/6.40/6.36..took 3mins recovery after each repeat..had a random guy on a horse and cart keep me company for the first 2 which helped break things up,found 4 and 5 the toughest as they had an incline and on the last rep when I began to drift off pace I had the help on the decline (last40 sec)to finish off hence the reason for 6.36..overall good start and look forward to trying out the others.
    Was Aiming for 6.35-6.40 per mile..aim is sub 41

• Advertisement

I believe there's an old slogger by the name of K Clown doing the McMillan plan now. We'll find out if it works or not, more or less definitively.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm thinking about doing these sessions (The 4 main sessions anyway not the intermediate ones). Not sure though. The "faster road running" plan I'm following has 6 x 1K @ 5K pace for next week. I'll possibly change that to the 6 x 1 Mile @ 10k pace and see how I get on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, I'm pretty much doing that for my sessions anyway.

Happy enough with a 38.40, i thought i was going to do it a few times, died in the last km. getting sick and missing the 2*3m session was probably the difference. I'll get the sub 38 later in the year.

I'm due to do the second weeks session 10-12X400meters... I'm doing my mile repeats at 6.40 pace and hoping to go as close to 40 as possible for the 10k.. should I be looking at doing the 400's in 1.25-1.30??? And how long should i rest between each repeat...
    appreciate any input

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about doing these sessions (The 4 main sessions anyway not the intermediate ones). Not sure though. The "faster road running" plan I'm following has 6 x 1K @ 5K pace for next week. I'll possibly change that to the 6 x 1 Mile @ 10k pace and see how I get on.

Well that couldn't have gone much worse. Target 6:35-6:40. Actual:

6:36/6:41/6:54/6:49/6:56/6:56

Disaster of a session. Windy as hell which didn't help and probably a bit of the race on Monday still in the legs but still very disappointing to barely squeeze under 7 min miles for most of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

quick feet wrote: »
    I'm due to do the second weeks session 10-12X400meters... I'm doing my mile repeats at 6.40 pace and hoping to go as close to 40 as possible for the 10k.. should I be looking at doing the 400's in 1.25-1.30??? And how long should i rest between each repeat...
    appreciate any input

see below from Program
    SUPPLEMENTARY WORKOUTS
    While the 10K buildup workouts occur every other week, the in-between weeks provide a great opportunity to perform other important 5K and 10K workouts. I like 200m and 400m repeats performed at 5K effort. I find that running slightly faster repeats on the in-between weeks makes 10K race pace feel easier. You may even perform a 5K race in preparation for your 10K. I also recommend at least one tempo run during this buildup. The pace will be slightly slower than 10K pace but will build your stamina for the goal event.

Run the 400m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between (have a read of link)

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-best-10k-workout/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'll be definitely having a go off this at some stage in the distant future. I'm wondering how similar it is the the McMillan plans you get on Strava?
    You can only see the first 2 weeks if you sign up but so far it has:

Week 1
    Rest Day - Daily Goal
    The first day of each weekly training segment offers recovery from the previous day and week's training. Take today off or run easy for 40-60 minutes.
    Fartlek Run-Workout 50m - 1h 20m
    Include 10-12 x 1 minute at 5K-10K effort, 1 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Easy Run 50m - 1h 20m
    Easy runs lasting around an hour build your endurance base from which you can draw strength in your race.
    50m - 1h Tempo Intervals 50m - 1h 10m
    Include 5-6 x 1 mile at Tempo Interval Pace, 3 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Rest Day
    Take today off or run easy for 40-60 minutes
    Easy Run
    1h - 1h 10m
    An easy run to build your endurance.
    Long Run
    1h 20m - 1h 30m

Week 2
    Rest Day Take today off or run easy for 40-60 minutes
    Tempo Run 40m - 1h Include 3-5 miles at Tempo Run Pace; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Easy Run 50m - 1h
    Speed Workout 50m - 1h 10m
    Include 12-16 x 400 meters at Speed Pace, 3 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Rest Day
    Easy Run
    1h - 1h 10m
    Long Run
    1h 30m - 1h 45m
    Daily Goal

Week 7 has the 3x2 miles@ Tempo Interval pace. The only thing is this pace is determined from your current fitness, but I suppose you could run them at goal pace?

Then it seems to alternate between Tempo Intervals and Speed Sessions every other week. Might be handy to follow as a full plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I'll be definitely having a go off this at some stage in the distant future. I'm wondering how similar it is the the McMillan plans you get on Strava?
    You can only see the first 2 weeks if you sign up but so far it has:

Week 1
    Rest Day - Daily Goal
    The first day of each weekly training segment offers recovery from the previous day and week's training. Take today off or run easy for 40-60 minutes.
    Fartlek Run-Workout 50m - 1h 20m
    Include 10-12 x 1 minute at 5K-10K effort, 1 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Easy Run 50m - 1h 20m
    Easy runs lasting around an hour build your endurance base from which you can draw strength in your race.
    50m - 1h Tempo Intervals 50m - 1h 10m
    Include 5-6 x 1 mile at Tempo Interval Pace, 3 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Rest Day
    Easy Run
    1h - 1h 10m
    An easy run to build your endurance.
    Long Run
    1h 20m - 1h 30m

Week 2
    Rest Day Take today off or run easy for 40-60 minutes
    Tempo Run 40m - 1h Include 3-5 miles at Tempo Run Pace; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Easy Run 50m - 1h
    Speed Workout 50m - 1h 10m
    Include 12-16 x 400 meters at Speed Pace, 3 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Rest Day
    Easy Run
    1h - 1h 10m
    Long Run
    1h 30m - 1h 45m
    Daily Goal

Week 7 has the 3x2 miles@ Tempo Interval pace. The only thing is this pace is determined from your current fitness, but I suppose you could run them at goal pace?

Then it seems to alternate between Tempo Intervals and Speed Sessions every other week. Might be handy to follow as a full plan.
    According to notes you run mile intervals at Goal race pace.

• Advertisement

It was time for me to do the second key session 2miles@6.35-40 then 4x1mile
    2miles@6.40 average was the target.. 1st mile came in at 6.32 and was soon followed with a 6.39..I was digging in towards the end but it's a tough 2 mile gradual climb of about 60feet...
    5min jog then into the 4x1miles, these felt alot easier than doing the 2 together, took the 3mins recovery but I mite look at reducing this as I seem fine plus I'm hitting all the targets..
    Times were as follows
    2miles @6.35avg
    4x1miles were 6.35/6.33/6.40..( uphill climb)//6.36 ..

Previous week I did 10 400s
    Times ranged from 1.23-1.27, although I hit 1.25 on 5 of the reps..1.23 twice/ 1.24 and 1.27 twice...

Quick summary on how I'm getting on with the plan..
    Target paces.. tempo 7m.m and race pace is 6.40..
    6X1miles
    6.38/6.37/6.40/6.37/6.40/6.36

10x400 meters target 85 seconds rest 50seconds
    85/85/87/85/85/84/85/83/87/83

1set of 2miles then 4x1miles
    (6.32/6.39) 4x1miles were 6.35/6.33/6.40./6.36 ..

Pretty much nailed the first 3 weeks hitting all the targets, instead of doing the 5k race to see where I was at I ran the Terenure 5miler and ran a stinker..

For the next 2weeks I couldn't hit the target pace of 7m.m on my tempos these runs were carried out in early may when we went through a nice patch of weather,I struggled in the heat..

Next up was the 2X2miles and 2x1miles...always use the same loop for this run to keep consistency..
    1st set of 2s (6.30/6.50) hanging on towards the end of the second mile
    2ns set of 2s (6.50/6.56) consistant.... consistantly bad
    1st of the 1s... 7m.m only took 4mins rest instead of 5 and it showed
    2nd of the 1s.. 6.54.. dreadful well off pace..

Took a week off as I was on hols but did some light running

Back to the plan and I switched from 20x200mts to 10 x400mts.. target 85seconds with 50sec recovery
    Splits were.. 80,85,84,83,83,82,83,85,84,84 faster than the previous time I did this workout
    Finally got back to hitting my tempos Hitting 5@7m.m
    Then tackled the last key session 3x2miles these came in at
    (6.31/6.35) (6.42/6.45) (6.52/6.35)
    So a bit of a hit and miss plan, longest tempo ive managed is 5miles, I might struggle with the speed endurence, on a plus I've got pretty close to the last key session of averaging 6.40 and notched a 20min parkrun while doing the plan..I'm going to target 41.30, I've 2 bites of the cherry as I'm taking in dunshaughlin 10k on a saturday and clonee10k the following Thursday..
    On that note should I just do easy running between the races??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

quick feet wrote: »
    I've 2 bites of the cherry as I'm taking in dunshaughlin 10k on a saturday and clonee10k the following Thursday..
    On that note should I just do easy running between the races??

Nice one G - that rolled around quickly !

I actually think it might be worth doing something light on the Monday\Tuesday, to keep the head in touch with the faster stuff - even if its just some strides

Best of luck with both

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

How would you guys recommend that these 10k workouts would fit in to half marathon training for a race in around 10 weeks or so? Or how best to tweak to train hoping to go sub 85. current best is 87.

Is clonee a good 10k to do? Any feedback from previous years?

I notice there is very little 10k races over the next few months. I know dunshaughlin is also this weekend. Have never done a 10k so would like to get in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tommy Max wrote: »
    How would you guys recommend that these 10k workouts would fit in to half marathon training for a race in around 10 weeks or so? Or how best to tweak to train hoping to go sub 85. current best is 87.

Is clonee a good 10k to do? Any feedback from previous years?

I notice there is very little 10k races over the next few months. I know dunshaughlin is also this weekend. Have never done a 10k so would like to get in some.

There's quite a lot of overlap between 10k and HM training, but the specific sessions should look a little different.
    You should build up your long run to 15-16 miles if targeting sub 90, every 2nd one you could progress your last 3-4 miles up to finishing the last 1-2 at target pace.

To adapt the key sessions a nice build could be something like.
    Less intensity, for longer with shorter recoveries.
    4 x 8mins @ PMP off 2mins
    4 x 10mins @ PMP off 2mins
    3 x 12mins @ PMP off 2mins
    2 x 20mins @ PMP off 2mins

A mid week MP paced session alternated with a 10k paced session would be a useful inclusion also and 6 x 1min strides would give good rounding to tackle both distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Finally got the chance to give this a go this evening, in advance of next week's Fingal 10k. I followed a 5k plan targeting last week's Docklands 5k, so I didn't do a buildup of sessions, just straight into the big one. Sub-39 is the notional goal for the Fingal, so went out trying to keep pace under 6:15. It was pretty breezy, but it worked out fine. Splits were: 12:23, 12:26, 12:23 (average pace 6:12). It felt close to race effort at the end (though not quite all out at the end of a race) and I was very glad to be done with it!

Given the race is next Sunday, any opinions on doing a recovery run tomorrow and longish run on Monday (maybe 12-13 miles), or just get the longer run out of the way tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Singer wrote: »
    Finally got the chance to give this a go this evening, in advance of next week's Fingal 10k. I followed a 5k plan targeting last week's Docklands 5k, so I didn't do a buildup of sessions, just straight into the big one. Sub-39 is the notional goal for the Fingal, so went out trying to keep pace under 6:15. It was pretty breezy, but it worked out fine. Splits were: 12:23, 12:26, 12:23 (average pace 6:12). It felt close to race effort at the end (though not quite all out at the end of a race) and I was very glad to be done with it!

Given the race is next Sunday, any opinions on doing a recovery run tomorrow and longish run on Monday (maybe 12-13 miles), or just get the longer run out of the way tomorrow?

Super running , well done , you'll fly Fingal.

Singer wrote: »

Congrats on the 3x2 mile effort. I'd take it fairly easy now as you did that major session just 8 days out. Anything long would need to be very easy pace and then a little leg loosener on Wednesday or Thursday. Chuck in some strides or a few 200's but onlt to get the legs turning over. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Itziger wrote: »
    Congrats on the 3x2 mile effort. I'd take it fairly easy now as you did that major session just 8 days out. Anything long would need to be very easy pace and then a little leg loosener on Wednesday or Thursday. Chuck in some strides or a few 200's but onlt to get the legs turning over. Good luck.

Thanks for this. I ran the Fingal 10k today in 38:55. Slightly slower than the paces hit on the 10k workout reps, but on a course with more ups and downs. Target hit either way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

This workout was actually very accurate in hindsight, I did 3*3k at an average of 3:58-3:59ish and did a 10km in 3:59average 12 days later. So it's true to its word.

Advertisement