Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mods can you please fix these pictures, as I dont have a 55" screen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

vicwatson wrote: »
    Mods can you please fix these pictures, as I dont have a 55" screen :D

If you're using Firefox, try the Image Zoom extension. Any size screen you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OU812 wrote: »
    the kids didn't like the "burnt bits".

Funnily enough, the kids preferred the plain flour dough rather than the 00.

Disown them immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Had been meaning to get one for ages. £43 is a bargain I couldnt resist. I would imagine they are really decent for making naan bread too, Ive tried doing it in the oven before and it gets nowhere near the temperature you need for baking naan with lots of spring and bubble

Thanks for the inspiration OU812 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Muahahaha wrote:
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Had been meaning to get one for ages. £43 is a bargain I couldnt resist. I would imagine they are really decent for making naan bread too, Ive tried doing it in the oven before and it gets nowhere near the temperature you need for baking naan with lots of spring and bubble

I'm dangerously close to buying one after Oui's posts. Trying to resist as I'll be washing myself with a rag on a stick in no time if I get one.

• Advertisement

Just had my first weekend with the Giles and Posner pizza oven OU812 linked earlier.

What can I say except its a fantastic piece of equipment. I had shopped in the Italian food store in Smithfield on Wednesday getting 00 flour and a few tins of San Marzano tomatoes which seem to be the bible for topping Italian style pizza. I left the dough ferment in the fridge till Saturday and then cranked up the pizza oven for 15 minutes to get rid of the oils on the elements While waiting for it to cool down I sweated some garlic and diced onion on a low heat and then added the San Marzano tomatoes, a dash of Worcestershire and simmered for a few minutes before adding a few ripped leaves of basil. The dough was topped with the sauce, mozzarella and pancetta. Used the pizza paddles to slap it on the stone and left it cook for 3 minutes then turned the pizza and baked for another two. Finished it off with a bit more fresh basil.

The taste was absolutely divine. The 3 day cold ferment in the fridge adds excellent flavour while the oven itself produced a pizza with a uniform base and a crust with big air pockets inside. I was seriously impressed and for 50 euro it is an proper bargain imo. You get results you just cant get in a conventional 250 degree oven. This oven makes pizza of restaurant quality.

So Im happy out with the purchase. This weekend will be a curry one so Im going to try it out to make naan bread which is another dough that really benefits from high temperatures. Looking forward to it already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Jap Sigh!

Has anyone got a link for the pizza @ €42 delivered, they seem to be over €50 on my a my amazon.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Just purchased 1 of the Giles & Posner. Couldn't resist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

does this one heat to 400'C same as the G3
    cheers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    The unit is a "Giles & Polsner" one which appears to be the same (Heats to 400? & is 1,200 Watts) as the Ferrari model under an "English" brand & costs just ?43 Delivered.
    That's incredibly cheap, sounds like a great bargain if it works well. My pizza stone and paddle on their own cost that much!!
    That's incredibly cheap, sounds like a great bargain if it works well. My pizza stone and paddle on their own cost that much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

where can I get it for 43 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Made garlic butter and coriander naan breads last weekend using this pizza oven. The heat in it delivered giant air pockets in the bread as naan should have. Was very impressed with how they turned out. Gonna try it for other flatbreads soon like chapati and roti

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Made garlic butter and coriander naan breads last weekend using this pizza oven. The heat in it delivered giant air pockets in the bread as naan should have. Was very impressed with how they turned out. Gonna try it for other flatbreads soon like chapati and roti

Looks great, can you share the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone have an issue with burnt stuff on the stone? I've got scorching from flour, cornmeal, cheese & juice from sweetcorn etc if items fell off the pizza. This is now causing an unpleasant scorched taste & blackened bases.

Is there any way of cleaning the stone without damaging it?

Looks great, can you share the recipe please?

I used this one here
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/02/how-to-make-perfect-naan-bread-recipe
    (Makes 6-8)

1.5 tsp fast-action yeast

1 tsp sugar

150ml warm water

300g strong white bread flour, plus extra to dust

1 tsp salt

5 tbsp natural yoghurt

2 tbsp melted ghee or butter, plus extra to brush

A little vegetable oil, to grease

1 tsp nigella (black onion), sesame or poppy seeds (optional)

Put the yeast, sugar and two tablespoons of warm water in a bowl and stir well. Leave until it begins to froth.

Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Stir the yoghurt into the yeast mixture, then make a well in the middle of the flour and pour it in, plus the melted ghee. Mix, then gradually stir in the water to make a soft, sticky mixture that is just firm enough to call a dough, but not at all dry. Tip out on a lightly floured surface and knead for about five minutes until smooth and a little less sticky, then put in a large, lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover and leave in a draught-free place (the airing cupboard, or an unlit oven) until doubled in size: roughly 90–120 minutes.

Tip the dough back out on to the lightly floured surface and knock the air out, then divide into eight balls (or six if you have a particularly large frying pan). Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over a very high heat for five minutes and put the oven on low. Prepare the melted ghee and any seeds to garnish.

Flatten one of the balls and prod or roll it into a flat circle, slightly thicker around the edge. Pick it up by the top to stretch it slightly into a teardrop shape, then put it in the hot pan. When it starts to bubble, turn it over and cook until the other side is browned in patches. Turn it back over and cook until there are no doughy bits remaining.

Brush with melted ghee and sprinkle with seeds, if using, and put in the oven to keep warm while you make the other breads.

It is a very sticky dough so you might need a few dustings of flour to be able to knead it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue with burnt stuff on the stone? I've got scorching from flour, cornmeal, cheese & juice from sweetcorn etc if items fell off the pizza. This is now causing an unpleasant scorched taste & blackened bases.

Is there any way of cleaning the stone without damaging it?

Buy a wirebrush and scrub the hell out of the stone.
    I used to work for a pizza place with a wood fired oven and thats how we cleaned the base stone.
    Let it get very hot empty and you'll turn all the residue to ash which makes cleaning easier as well.

My advice on this would be to make sure to check inside the oven before turning on when you come in from an evening at the races and a few drinks!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Anyone buy an ALDI Pizza Oven when they were last available? If yes, are you happy with it and would you recommend one?

They are available again next Thursday (https://www.aldi.ie/gardenline-pizza-oven/p/069953024639600). Thinking about buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tmh106 wrote: »
    Anyone buy an ALDI Pizza Oven when they were last available? If yes, are you happy with it and would you recommend one?

They are available again next Thursday (https://www.aldi.ie/gardenline-pizza-oven/p/069953024639600). Thinking about buying one.

I haven't used it but with the heat all coming from below, how do you cook the toppings?

(I put a pizza stone on our gas BBQ and had to stick the pizza under the grill to finish cooking the top).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

I'm thinking about getting one of these myself. I assume you need to get a pizza peel to transfer to and from? Any recommendations where to get one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't used it but with the heat all coming from below, how do you cook the toppings?

(I put a pizza stone on our gas BBQ and had to stick the pizza under the grill to finish cooking the top).
    Did you close the bbq lid? The heat from that should have done a fair amount of cooking

mpeter92 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting one of these myself. I assume you need to get a pizza peel to transfer to and from? Any recommendations where to get one?

I got this one in Homebase
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/la-hacienda-wooden-pizza-peel-406027

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

Cheers, thanks for the tip. Didn't think of looking in Homebase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

maximo31 wrote: »
    My advice on this would be to make sure to check inside the oven before turning on when you come in from an evening at the races and a few drinks!!:o

:eek: What was it?...

I was gonna guess pizza knife but it's to elongated

The misses bogey phone

:eek: What was it?...

I was gonna guess pizza knife but it's to elongated

The misses bogey phone

It was the 2 paddles that come with the oven.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Amazon have the black version on the Daily Deal for £43.69 now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Going to give mine a rattle tonight, see how it cooks.

• Advertisement

Advertisement