Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming and VOD film recommendations

• 21-04-2017 4:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Howdy all,

This thread is a spin-off from the Netflix Recommendations thread. This is a place for all your recommendations for films available on the digital platforms - whether that's Netflix, Amazon Prime, Mubi etc... (and whichever ones may come into existence in the future - FUTURE PROOFING).

Feel free to also flag films available on video-on-demand platforms such as iTunes, Google Play, Volta, Curzon on Demand etc... Bear in mind this is an Irish site, so please try to keep to films easily accessible here.

Queries or discussion of regional workarounds is strictly forbidden.

Unlike the Netflix thread, this is strictly film recommendations only, and any TV show recommendations will be deleted.

Go forth and recommend ways for us all to expend our precious bandwidth!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anybody ever use Volta?

It's an Irish run site, connected to Element Films and The Lighthouse, I think.

I think it's a pay as you go kind of system rather than a subscription.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anybody ever use Volta?

It's an Irish run site, connected to Element Films and The Lighthouse, I think.

I think it's a pay as you go kind of system rather than a subscription.

Yeah, it's like the iTunes Store. I've used it a couple of times for films that I couldn't find anywhere else, including on DVD. Fine as a last resort for renting if you don't mind watching films on your laptop/tablet, I guess, but I can't say I'd recommend it.

Yeah, it's like the iTunes Store. I've used it a couple of times for films that I couldn't find anywhere else, including on DVD. Fine as a last resort for renting if you don't mind watching films on your laptop/tablet, I guess, but I can't say I'd recommend it.

Yeah, that's the thing that's put me off, you don't seem to be able to use it with Chromecast and I hate watching things on laptop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, that's the thing that's put me off, you don't seem to be able to use it with Chromecast and I hate watching things on laptop.

Yeah, it's bit of joke for a streaming service at this stage, but I assume it's down to rights issues, i.e. laptop/device rights are cheaper and easier to get than tv rights where you are probably in competition with broadcast networks. I dunno, I'd be interested in learning more about this. It seems to be very difficult for new streaming services to get off the ground, which is why it's mostly Netflix and Amazon. Any major services will need the support of a broadcaster or studio to stand a chance. Seems even Apple will have to buy one of the studios to get their foot in the door.

I subscribed to Mubi for a year using one of the Christmas deals. I watch it on my Firestick which is grand, but I'm little underwhelmed with the content compared to the UK. Seems like Irish subscribers get the dredges.

Is anyone subscribed to Amazon Prime Video? I know they had a pretty pathetic token launch here last year, but has it improved since?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is anyone subscribed to Amazon Prime Video? I know they had a pretty pathetic token launch here last year, but has it improved since?

Having checked it only yesterday, nope, the Irish selection is as pitiful and insulting as it was at launch. I don't have a total, but it takes seconds to browse the entire collection of any section on the smart TV (the amazon app finally reached my Samsung the other day )

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Having checked it only yesterday, nope, the Irish selection is as pitiful and insulting as it was at launch. I don't have a total, but it takes seconds to browse the entire collection of any section on the smart TV (the amazon app finally reached my Samsung the other day )

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm still subscribed to Amazon to work through some of the series on there, but I've been surprised to find a handful of top-tier films when I've gone rooting (the navigation is hilarious ****ty). The excellent Everybody Wants Some is on there, and (not a recommendation - I haven't seen it and don't particularly intend to) David Brent: On the Road is there unusually quickly. Few stone-cold classics like Vertigo as well. The superb Mustang is also hiding on there.

Don't get me wrong, still an immensely underwhelming & scattershot bunch, and I'd have unsubscribed if the shows didn't grab me. But a few games nonetheless. And a significant amount of really strong films recently have borne the Amazon Studios logo - I Am Not Your Negro and The Handmaiden in the last fortnight or so. I don't know what their streaming plans for said material is yet, but alongside stuff like Manchester by the Sea I've seen far more excellent films with the Amazon logo before them then with Netflix (outside 13th I don't think any of their original films I've seen are particularly interesting - hopefully will change with Okja).

No idea why they haven't released their PS4 app in Ireland, incidentally. Have their UK one and works with my Irish Amazon account just fine, bizarre that they haven't made it officially available here.

Just incase anyone missed it in the other thread Film 4 are doing an Andrei Tarkovsky season at the moment and the films are available to stream on All4 for free. There's 3 up at the moment and a few more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've been using wuaki tv lately as Hunky Dorkys are giving free rentals with packets.

I've watched Passengers, The Accountant, Fantastic Beasts over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

Got Amazon prime video a few months ago at 3.99 pm and now it's gone up I've gone with full prime at 7.99 for this month anyway. It's worth it just for the Amazon original shows. Goliath is fantastic and sneaky Pete was good too. I'm also rather enjoying Mozart in the jungle. Our 7 year old was enjoying done of the kiddy stuff like just add magic but no kids version like Netflix so i had to keep on checking. No theres not much to watch but a someone else said there's more if you figure out the very bad interface. Well with doing a free month methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hell or High Water was added to prime, heard good things.

Has anyone tried NowTV now that it's available in Ireland?

14 day free trial and then €15 a month for the Cinema package. There's a separate package for the "entertainment" pass, which is basically TV box sets.
    http://www.nowtv.com/ie/watch-movies-online

Not sure it would be worth it on top of Netflix, or if it would be worth cancelling Netflix for the cinema package.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quite pricy if you go for the movies and TV packages; looks like it's supported by a lot of terrestrial channels. No sign of an app though for my Samsung TV so that's it out of the question for now.

Would definitely be expensive to go for both. The free trial might be worth having a look at. If it was good enough you could get rid of your TV subscription from Virgin or whoever it might be worth it. That said it seems the providers know broadband is the main thing now and it's nearly as expensive to get it on it's own as it is to get a TV/phone/Internet bundle.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Works out at €80 a month if you want everything :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

The service costs up to over twice as much as the UK service (which has more features) so I refuse to pay for it.

It's a Wonderful Life, Chinatown, There will be Blood & Gone Baby Gone have been added to Amazon over the last few days.

Spotlight, Jaws & Into the Wild were added to Amazon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I found Swiss Army Man and Room buried under loads of ****ty Z-movies. It's an awful ****ing interface, jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭jh79

For horror fans, The Love Witch and all the remastered Phantasm films have been added to shudder.com.

• Advertisement

Not really a recommendation but but still handy the Amazon Prime app is now on Apple tv 3 and greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Anyone got any recommendations for Amazon prime?

I binge-watched Zone Blanche (Black Spot), French thriller/mystery on Amazon, would recommend; it's excellent.. beautifully shot, great story with a rather eerie and dark edge to it.

Bosch (Cop series) is good and The Man in the High Castle (Alternate history) is very both will have there new seasons starting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just finished 'Patriot' about two minutes ago and a definite recommendation from me. A weird comedy-drama with nothing really like it on TV elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched City of Ghosts last night, and it’s one of the definitive documentaries about the nightmare facing the Syrian people. Plus a great account of journalists putting their life at risk to spread an essential story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

ixoy wrote: »
    Just finished 'Patriot' about two minutes ago and a definite recommendation from me. A weird comedy-drama with nothing really like it on TV elsewhere.

I wish I knew why the creators chose two small English seaside villages as their football teams!

Not even Clacton and Great Yarmouth, Jaywick Sands and Hemsby! Brilliant show though, loved it. Poor Stephen.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Train to busan is brilliant on prime.

One of this year’s very best films, Dawson City Frozen Time, is streaming on Mubi for the next couple of weeks.

Focused on the discovery of a trove of frozen film reels underneath a remote Canadian town, Bill Morrisson uses the severely damaged films in a way that creates this completely mesmerising examination of filmic decay and fragility, as well as an engrossing account of the history of one town.

For me, it was also my first encounter with the director - and it’s been a pleasure discovering some of his more experimental works after this one.

It’s a film that doesn’t seem to have received any more formal release beyond a DIFF screening, so this is as good an opportunity as any to use that Mubi trial.

• Advertisement

Goodfellas & Falling Down are on Prime.

Advertisement