Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options
  • 09-04-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭

Mod Note: Just a note to everyone posting for the Liam McCarthy Cup final, no abuse of players, managers or posters is acceptable (like in the football equivalent thread). Using terms like "scum(bag), thug, etc. will likely get you carded/banned (depending on the severity or your record. You can by all means criticise a player and his actions, but don't resort to abusing the player.
    There are no excuses for not heeding this warning if you fall foul of these rules.
    If you see an offending post, please report it.

Almost that time of year again :D:D:D

The leinster round robin involving Laois, Westmeath, Kerry and Meath kicks off on Sunday 23rd April and finishes on Sunday 14th May. The Top 2 will then play Offaly or Wexford (draw will be made) in the Leinster QFs

Leinster Round Robin

Round 1- Sunday 23rd April
    Meath v Kerry, Pairc Tailteann, 3pm
    Laois v Westmeath, O'Moore Park, 3pm

Round 2- Sunday 30th April
    Westmeath v Kerry, TEG Cusack Park, 3pm
    Meath v Laois, Pairc Tailteann, 3pm

Round 3- Sunday 14th May
    Westmeath v Meath, TEG Cusack Park, 3pm
    Kerry v Laois, Austin Stack Park, 3pm

Quarter finals
    Sat 27/Sun 28 May- Round Robin team vs Wexford
    Say 27/Sun 28 May- Round Robin team vs Offaly
    Sunday 28th May- Galway vs Dublin- O Connor Park Tullamore 4pm

Semi Finals
    Sat 10 June- Kilkenny vs Wexford/Round Robin- Wexford Park/TBC 7pm
    Sun 18th June- Galway/Dublin vs Offaly/Round Robin- TBC 2pm

Final- Sunday 2nd July- Croke Park

Munster
    Quarter Final
    Sun 21 May- Tipperary vs Cork- Semple Stadium Thurles 4pm

Semi Finals
    Sun 4th June- Limerick vs Clare- Semple Stadium Thurles 4pm
    Sun 18th June- Waterford vs Tipperary/Cork- Semple Stadium Thurles 4pm

Final- Sunday 9th July- PUC Cork 4pm

Qualifers
    Prem Round
    Sat 24 June- Christy Ring Winner vs Leinster Round Robin/QF

1st Round
    Sat 1st July
    Munster vs Leinster
    Munster vs Leinster
    Munster vs Leinster
    Prem Round Winner vs Leinster

2nd Round
    Sat 9th July
    Round 1 winner vs Round 1 Winner
    Round 1 winner vs Round 1 Winner

Quarter Finals
    Sun 23rd July
    Munster Runner up vs Round 2 Winner
    Leinster Runner up vs Round 2 Winner

Semi Finals
    Sun 6th Aug- Leinster Champions vs QF Winner- Croke Park
    Sun 13th Aug- Munster Champions vs QF Winner- Croke Park

Final- Sun 3rd Sep- Croke Park

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think we have a half decent chance of staying in the Liam McCarthy. We've Kerry at home which is massive and our only away game is in Mullingar.
    We've lost both James Toher and Mickey Burke to the footballers. Burke is replaceable but Toher is a big loss (last year's captain).
    My only worry is the possible bad habits the players got in to during the league. You won't get that extra second to control the sliothar against these teams like you would in division 2B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Hard to see past Tipp to win it. They have the best 15 and the best squad by a country mile. They seem like they're on a mission this year so don't think they will suffer the usual second season syndrome. I'd probably put Waterford as the next strongest team just about so will go for them to meet Tipp in the final. Cork could be dark horses to do well this year too.

Leinster will be very interesting this year. Galway are Galway so you don't really know what to expect from them; they have been poor in the league but not sure what that means really. Kilkenny have gone back a lot but still have some serious players mixed in with a few average ones. The Davy factor seems to be working a treat in Wexford so there will be great expectation there. I'm not sure how well that will translate to championship though. They have Kilkenny in their first game after round robin which is a tough draw.

I'll go for Tipp, Galway, Cork and Waterford in the semis. Tipp to win

In saying that never write off Kilkenny haha

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

At this early stage, I'd pick Tipp to win Liam and Clare as runners up. I have huge doubts about my own Kilkenny, and in the wake of last weeks defeat I think Wexford will beat us again. But Galway to beat them in the Leinster final.

Kilkenny to come back through the qualifiers but ultimately lose to Clare in the Quarters. I reckon those will be the top 5 teams and make the quarter finals. Waterford favourites to join them but I don't predict a good year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tipp vs Clare All Ireland final i think with Tipp winning

Tipp for Munster and Wexford for Leinster

Laois and Kerry to come through the leinster round robin. Kilkenny and Cork to get through from the Qualifers. Waterford, Dublin and Limerick to have below par championship campaigns. Going by the league a few teams need to be different animals in the championship our they will fall behind

QFs
    Galway (leinster runners up) vs Kilkenny
    Clare (Munster runners up) vs Cork

SFs
    Wexford vs Clare
    Tipp vs Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Great to be back. Up Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It's Tipps to lose.

Leinster could be interesting. Dublin will be significantly better with Cuala players back and a month's preparation. Here's a prediction. Wexford/Dublin Leinster final!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ball In Towards

Alot of people writing Kilkenny off here... Agree they're not the same team as a few years ago, but they cruised through Leinster last year & still got to an AI Final.

League form never counts for much with them either. They won the league in 2013 & then had their worst year under Cody in the Championship. 2015 almost got relegated...and won the AI at a canter.

Getting Michael Fennelly fit would be huge for them.

Agree though- Tipp the team to beat and they seem to have their arses in gear this year too, compared to post 2010.

Waterford could be their main challengers. They were probably the second best team in the country last year.

Fancy Wexford & Clare to have good years too. And Dublin will be all the better for bringing through youth in league and then bringing the Cuala guys back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Leinster SHC round 1

the Leinster round robin hits off this sunday 23rd April. Id expect Kerry and Laois to qualify for the Leinster QFs. Westmeath are struggling this year so far and Meath may not have enough to compete in the top tier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The 2017 Hurling Championship Pools thread is now up and running. All are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It's Tipps to lose.

Leinster could be interesting. Dublin will be significantly better with Cuala players back and a month's preparation. Here's a prediction. Wexford/Dublin Leinster final!

Apparently a few of the Cuala lads are reluctant to rejoin the squad. The Schutte brothers are one example. Dublin are all over the place under Cunningham, they have no hope of beating Galway.

• Advertisement

Apparently a few of the Cuala lads are reluctant to rejoin the squad. The Schutte brothers are one example. Dublin are all over the place under Cunningham, they have no hope of beating Galway.

No hope if this cr@p continues.

Disgrace that any man refuse to wear his county jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Dezekota

Agh seriously like
    Writing off kilkenny,you're having a laugh,they'll walk Leinster if they avoid galway
    Tipp for Munster but not easy.
    Clare and wexford getting big props but cmon,several false dawns there before,I'll believe it when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Galway Tipp final with Galway to win.

Can we make one thing 100% clear. Nobody is writing off Kilkenny. You'd be mad too. However I think its fair to say they are not favourites, or second favourites. I think Tipp and Galway have done enough to merit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Disappointing league for us but last year was the opposite going into the round robin,thought we would be coming out of the group last year but we faded badly during the round robin games beat Carlow at home bu the team looked tired and Westmeath and Offaly fully deserved to beat us

Going into this year, the Meath game is going to be tough but if we have any expectations of progressing its a game we should be winning,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Hard to see past Tipp.

Clare have the easy side in Munster as Limerick under Kiely are little short of a disgrace. Clare-Tipp final.

Wexford's season is more or less over, making up the numbers from now on. Galway-KK final with KK winning it. Cork/Dublin/Offaly etc not up to much.

A poor championship with one sided matches await.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Dont care whether were favourites or written off.when it counts kk will be there.expect to see new faces step forward for kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Leinster SHC round 1

the Leinster round robin hits off this sunday 23rd April. Id expect Kerry and Laois to qualify for the Leinster QFs. Westmeath are struggling this year so far and Meath may not have enough to compete in the top tier

Wouldn't write Westmeath off at all. They started league badly losing at home to Carlow in a close game, and then lost to Kildare in another close game. After that they won the next 3 games, including against Antrim. A good side and seem to be getting better.

I think Laois & Westmeath will be the top 2, with Meath being competitive but not having enough to stay at this level.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Hard to see past Tipp.

Clare have the easy side in Munster as Limerick under Kiely are little short of a disgrace. Clare-Tipp final.

Wexford's season is more or less over, making up the numbers from now on. Galway-KK final with KK winning it. Cork/Dublin/Offaly etc not up to much.

A poor championship with one sided matches await.

You are a bundle of joy :)

Tipp I can't see being beaten but not much between the rest. Wexford's race not run; Cork are better than they were last year, Clare and Waterford unpredicatable; if Dublin can get a handle on internal nonsense they might surpise; Gawlay.. god knows.!

You are a bundle of joy :)

Tipp I can't see being beaten but not much between the rest. Wexford's race not run; Cork are better than they were last year, Clare and Waterford unpredicatable; if Dublin can get a handle on internal nonsense they might surpise; Gawlay.. god knows.!

Look at last season, all the games were pathetic until semi finals.

Dublin/Limerick are rubbish.

Maybe Clare can be the surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

No hope if this cr@p continues.

Disgrace that any man refuse to wear his county jersey.

Why? You mightn't know the circumstances. Maybe it's not enjoyable, God forbid someone opts out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Dezekota wrote: »
    Agh seriously like
    Writing off kilkenny,you're having a laugh,they'll walk Leinster if they avoid galway
    Tipp for Munster but not easy.
    Clare and wexford getting big props but cmon,several false dawns there before,I'll believe it when I see it

The only feasible way that KK can avoid Galway is if Wexford beat KK, can't see any possible scenario where Galway are not in the Leinster Final.

phkk wrote: »
    Why? You mightn't know the circumstances. Maybe it's not enjoyable, God forbid someone opts out

I'd be reasonably familiar with them. Quite clear that there has been organised campaign against Cunningham. Same chaps obviously think they will be able to swan back in if/when he leaves. Meanwhile some of them were sitting back sneering at younger fellas, some of whom played league games days before their mock leaving, who took their places. And who did not disgrace themselves.

IF Dublin sorted out all of this bollix then we'd have a chance of putting up a decent performance in championship. Unfortunately best hope is 21s who ironically will have benefitted hugely from having been thrown in deep end in extremis!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Written off or not im sure we will be there when its gets to august /sept.looking forward to injured players returning and new faces becoming hosehold names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Dont care whether were favourites or written off.when it counts kk will be there.expect to see new faces step forward for kk.
    dubcat51 wrote: »
    Written off or not im sure we will be there when its gets to august /sept.looking forward to injured players returning and new faces becoming hosehold names.

You seem to be the only one pedalling this written off lark!

You don't have to be either favourites or written off, there is a middle ground. KK are one of a number of challengers to Tipp's crown and most likely the main contenders. You seem to have a very insecure need to be lauded as favourites?? I'd say Cody is pure delighted with the way its panning out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm delighted with all the tipp talk, it's all very 2006. Nicely set up for a fall ye are. And ye have the absolute kiss of death, pth2009 has predicted an all Ireland for ye. I hope you enjoy watching football!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Waterford seem to be getting completely overlooked on here. Tipp definite favourites and rightly so but not that far ahead of the pack. Galway should have beaten them last year for example. Waterford were brilliant against KK last year and look stronger again this year from the experience. Tipp favourites with Waterford next and Galway 3rd in my reckoning.

Waterford seem to be getting completely overlooked on here. Tipp definite favourites and rightly so but not that far ahead of the pack. Galway should have beaten them last year for example. Waterford were brilliant against KK last year and look stronger again this year from the experience. Tipp favourites with Waterford next and Galway 3rd in my reckoning.

I saw enough of them last year in the munster final to know that they are simply making up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

And ye have the absolute kiss of death, pth2009 has predicted an all Ireland for ye. I hope you enjoy watching football!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Got underway today. A good win for Meath over Kerry while Laois defeat Westmeath.
    Buzzing see my county winning a Leinster championship match.

• Advertisement

Big win for Meath. Must their first senior championship win since God was a boy!

Laois in 2002 just been reminded, indeed they were unfortunate not to beat us in next game.

Advertisement