Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IQOS

• 06-04-2017 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, (sorry for my basic english) did anyone tried to new product from Phillips Morris named IQOS. It is like half electronic cigarettes but has 90% less of chemicals so less worrying about cancer, and should taste like normal cigi, definitely will try. Since last month you can buy it in UK and since yesterday in Poland and few more markets. Opinions are good, watched reviews on YouTube, but is it legal buying on ebay from Italy or Greece?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Moved from Smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

It seems to be more like smoking cigarettes than vaping. https://thevape.guide/philip-morris-e-cig-review/

Available on Amazon UK, very expensive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

BeerNut wrote: »
    Moved from Smoking.

This is not vaping, bit of research needed perhaps? It's actually closer to smoking ...

"The IQOS smokeless cigarette looks a lot like a second generation vaporizer, but is very different from modern electronic cigarettes in terms of functionality. Instead of nicotine-laced e-liquid, it uses actual tobacco in the shape of small Marlboro cigarettes that are heated at high temperatures, but not burned. The miniature cigarettes, called “HeatSticksâ€, are inserted into the IQOS heating device, leaving out the filter, which even has the Marlboro name written on it. Tobacco cigarettes burn at around 800 degrees Celsius, but the IQOS only heats the tobacco to 350 degrees, delivering a mouthful of tobacco-flavored vapor, but no smoke and tar. From what I’ve read, the tobacco is soaked in propylene glycol which helps produce the vapor."

I think it's bit disrespectful to vapers to randomly chuck this in here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

I wonder how much it cost to develop what is just an even more expensive way of ingesting nicotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 luckyluke87

Just bought it yesterday for 144 euro with extra 200 heat sticks so paid about 70 for charger and holder and 70 for sticks on ebay, dispatched from London so should arrive next week. Will share my opinion here after few days of use, hope so it will taste like real tobacco.

• Advertisement

Prinks wrote: »
    I wonder how much it cost to develop what is just an even more expensive way of ingesting nicotine.

Charger with holder should cost about 70 euro (but on ebay or Amazon it more expensive) you can buy from Italy or Romania or Russia from 60 euro on eBay heat sticks, regular price should be about 5-7 euro so still cheaper then normal cigi

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Interesting that they are taking this route given it's quite pricey. Nothing new really as folk have been vaping tobacco leaf in herb vaporisers for a long while now. The difference here is the treated tobacco to produce more visible vapour as normal herb vaporisers produce little vapour but a lot of flavour along with the hit.

This is a true vaporiser and does not combust and only heats material to point where active components and flavours vaporise much reducing the nasty parts from burning.

If there is anything to question it would be the treatment of the tobacco itself by *huge tobacco company* and what we know of how they operate. We know as fact that additional treatment for cigarette tobacco contributes to the addictiveness beyond the much milder addictive and relatively benign nature of nicotine itself.

I would like to see an analysis of the vapour (just as I like to see analysis of juice).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Just bought it yesterday for 144 euro with extra 200 heat sticks so paid about 70 for charger and holder and 70 for sticks on ebay, dispatched from London so should arrive next week. Will share my opinion here after few days of use, hope so it will taste like real tobacco.

My OH bought a kit in Portugal a couple of weeks ago. I'd be interested in seeing what you think and how you get the sticks through the post as it was something I'd be worried about.
    I've had a few goes and If these were available when I quit smoking four years ago, I'd have got them. It's much more like smoking (very similar in fact) than vaping is but there's a few annoyances that are off-putting
    Firstly, the expense. The sticks are almost as expensive as regular cigarettes so there's no cash incentive. Secondly, they don't last long. I'd say you get 10 puffs out of them, so it's not very satisfying in that regard. My OH is smoking two in a row. They are also timed, so you've six minutes max to get those 10 puffs in.
    One advantage over vaping is that every smoke is pretty much the same.
    I find with vaping there are a lot of annoying variables that can affect your vape from one day to the next, or from one vape to the next even.
    Also, you can only get the kit and sticks abroad so you're totally dependent on them being allowed in and you're goosed if you run out or the equipment breaks.
    Still, the OH is into her second week off smoking so they're doing the job, but she's also taken up vaping as alone the IQOS isn't providing enough satisfaction. She's not keen on vaping because she prefers the older equipment, much of which isn't available anymore (she hates the bigger batteries and the wider opening on the mouthpieces).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

jakdublin wrote:
    (she hates the bigger batteries and the wider opening on the mouthpieces).

There are still plenty of smaller battery variants on the market and still tanks with smaller mouth pieces .

Few day ago Philips Morris announced in Japan new iqos 3 and iqos 3 multi.
    https://www.pmi.com/media-center/news/iqos-3-and-iqos-3-multi-global-launch
    Multi version sounds very good because you can smoke up to 10 heets without recharging device.
    Unfortunately iqos is not available in Ireland yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Few day ago Philips Morris announced in Japan new iqos 3 and iqos 3 multi.
    https://www.pmi.com/media-center/news/iqos-3-and-iqos-3-multi-global-launch
    Multi version sounds very good because you can smoke up to 10 heets without recharging device.
    Unfortunately iqos is not available in Ireland yet.

Very interesting,must look out for reviews on it.

Have you seen this new coil-less ultra sound mod...another interesting set-up which will improve at a later date...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T50NeeUJgU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's crap like this that has vaping shunned. This is as bad as smoking tbh, no matter which way you swing it, it shouldn't be in here but what do I know. Phillip Morris & Co are responsible for your tpd restrictions and every scare mongering story you see appear online, but go ahead and promote and discuss their horrible alternative that's killing the very thing that has us off the smokes.

https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/pmis-iqos-heat-not-burn-tobacco-products-just-bad-cigarettes-terms-adverse-effects-blood-vessel-function

Advertisement