Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Goals 2017

• 04-01-2017 8:34am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe Christmas 2016 was the best one for you so why not set yourself a goal for something you definitely want to achieve for Christmas 2017.

Maybe there was something you saw someone else do or cook and you thought I am definitely doing that next year, if so share your thoughts and ideas with us and hopefully we can inspire each other to a great 2017.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm going to get a small bit real here but LoughC you did ask!

Anyway, I hope and yearn and will actively make happen a better situation for myself by Christmas 2017.

Don't misunderstand, from a personal point of view I had a wonderful Christmas, my family is intact and while we were not physically beside each other this year; we are all well and happy.

I am really well-educated and have an awful lot going for me but I ended up working in a garage/shop this Christmas because I am finding it difficult finding a job that will let me use my creative side in return for monetary gain :)

Anyway, the shop job is grand except I worked incredibly unsocial hours which I would have preferred not to; but it wasn't the end of the world.

My point, if any, is that you make your own magic in this world; but it takes a lot of work and you do what you have to; to make it happen.

I really hope that before Christmas next year, I will be able to shower my loved ones with gifts bought by money that I was happy and eager to earn.

Sin é.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great goal mud. You can definitely do it. Anything we can do to help towards that let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Touching mud :) Well done.

I haven't had much to spend on Christmas the past few years, which is good that I had fewer people to gift too. But I learned something one Christmas eve, about six years ago, when I had more funds. My friends were all in the living room enjoying each other while I was in the bedroom finishing up a gift I thought was :rolleyes: soooo important. I missed out on the real Christmas, spending time with a friend I will never see again, over some silly sewing project. I may never be able to shower people with gifts like I did, but I don't intend to miss the real joys of the season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Next year will be my first christmas as a married woman which is quite exciting!

In all honesty I know I won't be able to have what I would really like for Christmas which is to spend it with my family rather than my fiancées but I've been over this on the board before. I'd like to not have to cook but again, that's not going to happen so I suppose what I would like is just to maybe have my family visit at some stage over the Christmas period. Then again we will have just seen each other at my wedding a month previous so that might be too much to ask for.

I don't know what else. This Christmas has left me a little cold if I'm honest so I'm not sure how to remedy that.

That wasn't exactly cheery was it? Sorry guys!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It doesn't need to be cheery at all baby and crumble.

I understand completely where you're coming from. This Christmas take time for you and make sure you do things you want to do. Try not focus on Christmas Day as being the big day. Remember Christmas is a season so if Christmas Day didn't go your way pick another day and go all out for that and do what you want that day.

But I've a good feeling this is going to be a great Christmas this year for everyone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't know what else. This Christmas has left me a little cold if I'm honest so I'm not sure how to remedy that.

That wasn't exactly cheery was it? Sorry guys!
    Absolutely no need to apologise!
    We all love Christmas here but we'd be fools not to know that it's not all sweetness and light for everyone and doesn't always go the way you want.

Like Loughc said, it's a season not a day. You can go for walks and look at people's decorations, have hot chocolate and watch Christmas movies, visit a Christmas market, go to a carol service and just generally enjoy married life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm going to go out more, and visit people and bring them their gifts early on. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loved reading the posts on this thread. It's great to see how we can speak openly and honestly and get support from each other!

Good luck to everyone with their goals and baby and crumble it's not bad what you said tbh I felt like that last year too. I think now that I've had a minute to look back on it , that I was so busy and distracted with the wrong things I couldnt find a balance and then felt like it wasn't very Christmassy as I hadn't done my usual Christmas routines. My eldest had just started medication for adhd and was struggling socially so would shy away from family activities..and I let life get in the way ! I was miserable and in my opinion had failed as a mom at Christmas time !
    ( dramatic I know :p but that's how I saw it at the time )

This year I'm going to focus more on making time to relax a bit and not get over whelmed if life throws me a curve ball. I'll just dust myself off and start afresh tomorrow, with tomorrow's Christmas activity. I'd like to make memories this year not stress ! Baby and crumble maybe make a quick note some evening of new traditions you and your partner can make together this year ! Start a jar with bits of notes that you write when something special happens through the year together.

Good luck everyone I look forward to following how everyone gets on ! :)

My goal for the last couple of years was to go to a Christmas carol concert- and I did that last year.
    A couple of posters here have spoken about their health issues and I decided not to put it off again as who knows what the future has got in store?

My aim every year is, like you Glitz, to relax and enjoy the season more. I will aim for more festive walks this Christmas.

"Make memories, not stress." I love that.

I went to the Carol concert in the National Concert Hall on the Friday I finished up from work for the Christmas and it was great. I'll definitely be going again this year. :)

Posy wrote: »
    My goal for the last couple of years was to go to a Christmas carol concert- and I did that last year.
    A couple of posters here have spoken about their health issues and I decided not to put it off again as who knows what the future has got in store?

My aim every year is, like you Glitz, to relax and enjoy the season more. I will aim for more festive walks this Christmas.

"Make memories, not stress." I love that.

I went to the Carol concert in the National Concert Hall on the Friday I finished up from work for the Christmas and it was great. I'll definitely be going again this year. :)

I'd love to go to a carol concert! I might add that to my list this year posy too ! :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

Booked my tickets to Carols by Candlelight today!!!

Squeeeee!! :D:D

Bumping this also so we can all keep track of our 2017 goals! ;)

Loughc wrote: »
    Bumping this also so we can all keep track of our 2017 goals! ;)

My goal remains the same ... stress less enjoy making memories :) oh and find a nice dinner set for christmas hahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My goal this year is to buy a Christmas duvet set. And maybe one for the spare room too. I always leave it too late to get one.

My goal this year is to buy a Christmas duvet set. And maybe one for the spare room too. I always leave it too late to get one.

Heatons had a nice one reduced too and guineys are getting some in stock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We ordered 2 from Amazon, really good deals too... will try & dig out the link.
    they looked so christmassy myself & herself just had to have them!

here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleigh-Christmas-Bedding-Tonys-Textiles/dp/B01KFSC3YC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1505808278&sr=8-13&keywords=christmas%2Bduvet%2Bcovers&th=1
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »

here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleigh-Christmas-Bedding-Tonys-Textiles/dp/B01KFSC3YC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1505808278&sr=8-13&keywords=christmas%2Bduvet%2Bcovers&th=1

That's fab!!! Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

One of my goals is ticked off my list booked a few days away during the 12 days of Christmas, I might just add a duvet set to my list they are Fab, ;)

DvB wrote: »

here you go.

I love them :)

Christmas duvets are the best! They are at least 75% cosier and snugglier. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

This is me the last few years and like that leave it too late.......I'm definitely getting them for mine and the kids bed this year.

Advertisement