Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring / Summer 2017 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

• 05-03-2017 8:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note
    This thread is for posting/discussing/analysing FI CHARTS ONLY i.e. Charts in the unreliable time frame, generally +T120 onwards

If your post does not specifically relate to an FI chart then it doesn't belong here - Off topic posts will be moved

Thanks

Comments

• Wrap up for Paddy's Day if you're venturing out to a parade!

gfs-0-264_fef4.png
    gfs-1-264_cpb2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭teddybones

Good Lord the end of latest gfs run looks terrifying. I know is at end of run and will likely disappear but I have a wedding in West Wicklow in the mountains. Eek. Murphy's law and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭Comhrá

teddybones wrote: »
    Good Lord the end of latest gfs run looks terrifying. I know is at end of run and will likely disappear but I have a wedding in West Wicklow in the mountains. Eek. Murphy's law and all that

h850t850eu.png

March......in like a lion, out like a lamb tiger. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

An early summer for the NW.

This could be the year of "The Irish Drought".:p

screenshot_1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Indications still there for settled Hp weather and drier from next weekend . With the extra hour of daylight looks like a good week to get stuck into the garden. Doesn't look overly warm at this stage to me though.

RV0GkBU.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

High pressure showing up for the best part of next week after Monday it seems with settled dry weather, looks like temps in the low to mid teens and some frosty nights. GFS , GEM and ECM showing High Pressure over us from about Tues to Sat getting up to 1040 hPa. and looks fairly steady at around 1030 to 1035 hPa.

ECM1-168.GIF?29-0

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

20_366_850tmp.png.428b99f309d776274b034d20b5a5224b.png

A cool Easter, perhaps?

I know we're always looking for the next big thing but this stood out.
    21 degrees in London.

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We've already had it.

Models still showing HP for a good part of next week

wLrZg4g.gif

lHi10kI.gif

3Pzibb2.png

• Advertisement

After that High pressure leaves us the GEM is showing a flabby Low Pressure pumping up warm air from North Africa.:)

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

OMG Chart Eye Candy :D

zv4v3t.png

2qwle7n.png

Over the past week hints at a Cold Easter. Wait and see time.

This would be an interesting cold snap if it came off. Snow on the hills of Donegal perhaps :) Would make for some interesting wintry showers of hail and thunder with huge convection perhaps powered by the strengthening sun and unstable layers above , definitely FI though .

cD9KbKI.png?1

Wo8Sx8X.png

w6UwHvN.png

Easter weekend looking cold at this stage, wind from a northely flow I would think. Frosty nights

1C2NIXN.gif

ELNv3Qc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Easter weekend looking cold at this stage, wind from a northely flow I would think. Frosty nights
    I'm dreaming of a white Easter?

gfsnh-0-168.png?12

HP dominating the weather next week with all models in agreement then after next week end well out in FI at +240hr the ECM out on its own showing a big change in the weather with areas of low pressure moving down from Scandinavia with a plunge in 850 hPa temperatures and what would look probably quite unsettled ,wintry and windy if it materialized. Long way off and maybe an outlier, will need to see a couple of more runs but interesting.

lFZEWNd.gif

bswHfTX.gif

N88yng8.png

What a difference in the 12Z run. Completely different set up and much more benign !

C2tpDZr.gif

Difference in the Models , no surprise, but ECM trending cooler/ perhaps unsettled after next week end in latest runs showing a long fetch of cold airs coming down from Polar regions. Weather being so quite atm for something to do I'm going to follow this through to see how well the model is fairing with this set up.

icJg2Dd.gif

ik5bOx4.gif

LS7J4IP.gif

pjpn20j.gif

Cool this week coming ( bit milder towards the weekend ) but could the week after be even colder with some wintry weather perhaps. Models in more of an agreement now with a deep plunge of very cold mid level and upper temps. Models swaying over and back a bit as is often the case with HPs so dominant and blocking. Time will tell what airmass will win out.

z6oZJ0r.png

tT1BoTd.gif

aE0Tc2Y.gif

nHbwCuR.png

NRs9RFV.png

BBC 10 day outlook going for some sort of High Pressure migrating west.....linking up with Greenland high......cold northerly flow over Ireland and the UK.

i4jwax.png

7292lt.png

r6wbhc.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

BBC 10 day outlook going for some sort of High Pressure migrating west.....linking up with Greenland high......cold northerly flow over Ireland and the UK.

i4jwax.png

7292lt.png

r6wbhc.png

When looking forward to snow you always hope it will fall in er......em...... late April.

IMO HP seems to be winning out in the latest runs with both the ECMWF and GEM holding the encroaching colder LP system over Europe early next week. GFS showing colder mid level and uppers then the ECMWF next week . All showing HP later in the runs.

9Q2CqOD.gif

B18jEyl.gif

oaDSehz.png

gQA4Ygt.png

316943q.png

mmfn0p.png

Definitely some cold weather on the way next week.

The Farming forecast could be quite interesting on Sunday...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Did a -8c 850hpa temperature come anywhere near us during the winter? I can't remember. Only +132 too! :eek:

gfs-1-138.png?12

Yes models looking like they did a number of days ago after flip flopping over and back a bit, now looking very cold in what looks like a fresh Northerly airflow for a few days. Preliminary look at foretasted temps would suggest staying below 10C and look like being somewhere around 6 to 8C during daytime with sharp frosts for large parts of the country at night Mon - Fri. Would be a fair wind chill in the wind. I thought the HP might block but the last few runs would suggest not. At this stage the charts are showing some wintry precipitation next week, impossible to pin point and yes snow showing up on the prediction charts, you would think mountain tops at this time of year but you never know :D . Will be an interesting time for weather watching.

By the end of next week the GFS says HP building over Ireland again, the ECMWF completely different with a low pressure system nudging towards us originating from Canada.

Lx36ypz.gif

dDpSXlv.gif

CVQlWAN.gif

Still in FI territory but looking fresh and cold in those winds if it materializes anything like on those charts.

BtQa1Hj.gif

Windchill

JQr9UKM.gif

2GcyA0K.gif

This will change a bit but a rough guide of 850 hPa temps.

ZWnbG9i.png?1

8zbdaDl.gif

The ECM on its own showing this LP system showing very tight gradient, the GEM has something similar but less formed South of Ireland and the GFS is more in favour of HP nearby. Long way off. Kinda feel we need something like this to shake up the weather and draw up some warm tropical air.
    The Jet looks to be keeping a route North of Ireland going into May.

RhcvvnV.gif

GuLPcc0.png

• Advertisement

IMO at this stage the LP at the beginning of the weekend looking more flabby and more off to the NW. Frontal wind and rain perhaps Fri eve and overnight into Sat and perhaps a showery weekend but looks like becoming a bit more settled again after that with improving temperatures.

wAG7oBu.gif

BxEKa9Q.gif

Advertisement