Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triumph Chassis Logbook details.

• 08-04-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I want to build a special based on triumph chassis. I understand that triumph used a chassis number and a commission number.
    The commission number is attached to the front tub and the chassis number is stamped into a front outrigger.

What number is recorded on the actual logbook?
    Chassis number/commission number/engine number etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭MotherTeresa

On a UK V5 it will have chassis number and engine number.
    The Irish tax book should duplicate the same as they came from the UK to Ireland.
    I hope this helps.
    In any case, looking at the number of ZV plates on TD5's running around, I wouldn't worry too much that the chassis number matches your tax book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

There is no chassis number, for my Spitfire anyway, just a 'commission number', the number recorded in the log book as the 'chassis number' is the number stamped on a manufacture info plate on the body tub which I guess is the vechicle identification number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭MotherTeresa

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    There is no chassis number, for my Spitfire anyway, just a 'commission number', the number recorded in the log book as the 'chassis number' is the number stamped on a manufacture info plate on the body tub which I guess is the vechicle identification number.

I wouldn't worry. The manufacturer plate is the one the Revenue/VRT and NCT tester will be checking against the UK V5 and tax book VIN.
    For what its worth, often one has to point out the location of the VIN to the VRT inspector. My local one doesn't have a clue about cars, and even something standard like a Golf with blatant VIN's, I still had to point them out. He genuinely wasn't sure where to look under the bonnet. As long as you are able to point your finger to a number that matches the VIN on the V5 they are satisfied. I find the NCT testers only really check the VIN on the first NCT anyway. After that, they take it for granted its been checked before and is right.
    The reality is, often ZV cars have never been NCT'd anyway. Hence all the ringers running around. I don't think the Garda Traffic Corps pull them over at all, providing they have valid insurance and tax discs visible.
    Also I suppose it depends on who is driving it. A 50 year old driving a ZV isn't going to get pulled, but a 21 year old will etc.
    Anyway, good luck with the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

Many thanks all.
    I want to use an existing chassis as the basis with a new body on it. Registration stays with the chassis hence the query.

I wouldn't worry. The manufacturer plate is the one the Revenue/VRT and NCT tester will be checking against the UK V5 and tax book VIN.
    For what its worth, often one has to point out the location of the VIN to the VRT inspector. My local one doesn't have a clue about cars, and even something standard like a Golf with blatant VIN's, I still had to point them out. He genuinely wasn't sure where to look under the bonnet. As long as you are able to point your finger to a number that matches the VIN on the V5 they are satisfied. I find the NCT testers only really check the VIN on the first NCT anyway. After that, they take it for granted its been checked before and is right.
    The reality is, often ZV cars have never been NCT'd anyway. Hence all the ringers running around. I don't think the Garda Traffic Corps pull them over at all, providing they have valid insurance and tax discs visible.
    Also I suppose it depends on who is driving it. A 50 year old driving a ZV isn't going to get pulled, but a 21 year old will etc.
    Anyway, good luck with the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Being a Triumph it could have been assembled in Dublin, I think the Triumph Owners Club would be worth emailing !

BTW, FWIW, I was driving one of my cars, an '85 Merc, and thgere was a customs check point when the guy stopped me and asked if I drive it every day and he also checked the chassis number against the reg. That was about 2 months ago. The are car enthusiasts working literally everywhere so some Garda and Customs/RC know exactly what to look for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement