Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once more unto the breach...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

knew the voice from the wire as soon as i heard it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I don't know any of these people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

PetKing wrote: »
    Fry from Futurama is the weaponsmith I believe, and the English guy from Star Trek Enterprise is the bounty bot in the Tower.

John DiMaggio is the weaponsmith, who was Bender in Futurama and Marcus Fenix in Gears of War. Hope he is going to Dublin Comic Con this yea, he had to pull out last year due to a work commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

John DiMaggio is the weaponsmith, who was Bender in Futurama and Marcus Fenix in Gears of War. Hope he is going to Dublin Comic Con this yea, he had to pull out last year due to a work commitment.

Ah, you're right. I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Getting there slowly but surely. Have gone from about 280 light to 316 over the last few days. Finding Prison of Elders pretty good for levelling up but can imagine I'll likely hit a wall with it.

What else should I be going for? Was planning on trying Rise of Iron later this week or should I still hold off on it for a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Penn wrote: »
    Getting there slowly but surely. Have gone from about 280 light to 316 over the last few days. Finding Prison of Elders pretty good for levelling up but can imagine I'll likely hit a wall with it.

What else should I be going for? Was planning on trying Rise of Iron later this week or should I still hold off on it for a while?

I generally just point people towards this: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/55tdhp/what_do_i_do_now_a_newbie_guide_rise_of_iron/

For the start of RoI we would have been about your light level, max at the time was 320 so you're on the right path.

dudeeile wrote: »
    I generally just point people towards this: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/55tdhp/what_do_i_do_now_a_newbie_guide_rise_of_iron/

For the start of RoI we would have been about your light level, max at the time was 320 so you're on the right path.

Have actually managed to bomb up to 325 now quite quickly with a few lucky drops. Will check out that link, cheers.

Just trying to get Taken Lieutenants to spawn on Mars. Doesn't help that you need other people around you for the Taken to spawn in the first place, and then the feckers keep running off before the Lieutenant comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

That stuff is a real pain first time round alright. Id leave the patrol type stuff till later. There will be bounties and other things that will keep you on patrol later on so that stuff can kimda look after itself.

Are you playing with anyone man? Makes this kinda stuff a lot less grindy with someone to help out

EoinHef wrote: »
    That stuff is a real pain first time round alright. Id leave the patrol type stuff till later. There will be bounties and other things that will keep you on patrol later on so that stuff can kimda look after itself.

Are you playing with anyone man? Makes this kinda stuff a lot less grindy with someone to help out

It wasn't so much a patrol, part of an actual quest to find them, so didn't mind too much. Have a few quests lined up which actually do require full patrolling but not bothering with them.

But yeah, playing on my lonesome. Don't mind it really, have enough single player quests to be getting on with to at least get my level and equipment up, and get used to some of the mechanics of the game and layouts of areas that changed since I last played way back when.

I'd jump into RoI

• Advertisement

Finished the main RoI missions. Enjoyable enough, but not as good as Taken King.

Might start trying a few strikes. Most of the missions I have left are all about patrols and collecting sh*te.

Finished the main RoI missions. Enjoyable enough, but not as good as Taken King.

Might start trying a few strikes. Most of the missions I have left are all about patrols and collecting sh*te.

Yeah, thats the general consensus. It was good but not great.

If you are looking at stuff on the map, as you know if it has a purple indicator you have a quest active for that area, but a lot of people fail to notice if a mission has an icon which is an outline, you have not done it before, when you do it, it gets filled in Orange (missions), Blue (strikes), Green (patrol) etc so sometimes you can find missions/strikes etc you have never done before by going through which ones you have active quests for.

Patrol quests are zero criac but are a necessary evil in terms of making people invest time and grind away to try create an illusion of value.

The Age of Triumph quest from the Speaker is a particularly long, boring, time-heavy one. Those 6x3 patrols are tedious as f**k

What I'd really love is a map viewable in-game, even through the inventory screens. Was going in circles around the dreadnought last night, and even in some of the Taken King quests where you had to spawn taken in certain areas, just had to drive around and hope I got to one of those areas.

There's some 2D visual maps you can google, or failing that Youtube vids like "how to get to xyz" but yeah, it's a bit of a misstep. After 3 years I barely know the names of most places on Mars and Venus

Penn wrote:
    What I'd really love is a map viewable in-game, even through the inventory screens. Was going in circles around the dreadnought last night, and even in some of the Taken King quests where you had to spawn taken in certain areas, just had to drive around and hope I got to one of those areas.

There's some 2D visual maps you can google, or failing that Youtube vids like "how to get to xyz" but yeah, it's a bit of a misstep. After 3 years I barely know the names of most places on Mars and Venus

I could list off most of the areas in the Cosmodrome for you from memory but still have to Google to see an image of which one is which.

Man why does the game keep putting these unnecessary restrictions in your way? I was trying to turn in some crystal things for glimmer and it said I didn't have enough space. I cleared out inventory into vault and discarded a bunch of stuff, and still couldn't turn it in. Had to Google it and found out there's a cap on how much glimmer you can hold. Why? It's the currency, not an item. I had to go buy things in order to get it.

Plus, I bought an exotic chest armour last week. Today, got an exotic arm piece from a legendary engram. Then discovered you can't have two exotics equipped at the same time. Why? Okay, I can maybe get why you can't have two exotic armours equipped in case their abilities conflict with each other. But they have the same restriction on weapons even though you can obviously only use one at any time.

I'm enjoying playing the game but again, for a game which requires quite a substantial bit of grinding, it then places these unnecessary barriers and restrictions in your way and almost punishes you for grinding.

Anyway, I'm light level 379 now. Really like how they fixed the reputation system so you can earn rep for more than one thing at the same time. Doing a few more strikes now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Penn wrote:
    I'm enjoying playing the game but again, for a game which requires quite a substantial bit of grinding, it then places these unnecessary barriers and restrictions in your way and almost punishes you for grinding.

I totally agree with this, and it's the reason I've held off from getting back into Destiny after Overwatch broke its hold on me. But I do think the 1 exotic limit is completely fair, as they're each designed to be basically OP in some regard, so only having one of each makes sense to me.

Good points Penn, but people would fit a way to abuse the systems if they could wear multiple armour pieces, they find if hard enough to fix standalone broken exotics as is. I can image there would be some stuff where buffs would stack, or worse, conflict and break the game. I'd rather there was not so many crap exotics period

Good points Penn, but people would fit a way to abuse the systems if they could wear multiple armour pieces, they find if hard enough to fix standalone broken exotics as is. I can image there would be some stuff where buffs would stack, or worse, conflict and break the game. I'd rather there was not so many crap exotics period

Yeah I can kind of get why you can't do it with armour, but you can only hold/use one weapon at a time, so I can't see why you can't have an exotic primary and exotic heavy weapon equipped at the same time and switch between them.

Maybe it's just because the only really comparable game I've played would be Borderlands where stacking buffs to completely break the game and do insane damage is pretty much the aim of the game :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I can kind of get why you can't do it with armour, but you can only hold/use one weapon at a time, so I can't see why you can't have an exotic primary and exotic heavy weapon equipped at the same time and switch between them.

Maybe it's just because the only really comparable game I've played would be Borderlands where stacking buffs to completely break the game and do insane damage is pretty much the aim of the game :D

Well in Destiny it makes you pick and choose your weapons a bit more carefully especially in the raids. I know that if you could run multi exotics then most would run with way OP loadouts and it would ruin the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Was thinking about this the other day and suddenly thought about a voidwalker with Obsidian Mind, Nothing Manacles, Bad Ju Ju (or Monte Carlo), Trespasser (never used this in PvP) and The Truth

Now it's all I can think about

gimli2112 wrote:
    Was thinking about this the other day and suddenly thought about a voidwalker with Obsidian Mind, Nothing Manacles, Bad Ju Ju (or Monte Carlo), Trespasser (never used this in PvP) and The Truth

The resulting Nova Bomb would break your PlayStation

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PetKing wrote: »
    The resulting Nova Bomb would break your PlayStation

And evaporate all nearby Alcohol :D

Advertisement