Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant memories

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

In Cork:

Murphs in the Savoy which I think was replaced by Tin Pan Louies
    Rocky's burger restaurant on Cook St. - amazing burgers with great sauces
    The Pavillion upstairs restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruths41

... and Fat Freddies Pizza (?) was it, somewhere round Temple Bar / Lower Dame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

eisenberg1 wrote: »

What about The American Connection on Talbot Street?

Wifey (then girlfriend) had her 21'st meal there.....gave Larry Mullen (at another table) a bit of her birthday cake......mortified..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

Pizzaland on O'connell street in the 80s next to the Savoy.

The did the most amazing deep pan pizzas. I can still remember the flavour.

My late Dad used to bring me there before heading into the Savoy. Great memories.

I think it's been a pizza place in one form or another ever since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Ruths41 wrote: »
    ... and Fat Freddies Pizza (?) was it, somewhere round Temple Bar / Lower Dame Street.

From memory i think it was round Eustace street or similar. Used to go in there years ago an they'd let you bring your own wine and beer.

Anybody remember the Golden Avatar? It was the Hare Krishna restuarant beside the central bank.

You could eat there for free if you attended one of thier "information meetings"...food was pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I may be dreaming, but didn't there used to be a little café called The Pepper Pot or something like that on Trinity street, where Keoghs is now or thereabouts? This would have been maybe 25 years ago...I have vague memories of hanging out there as a teenager...

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I may be dreaming, but didn't there used to be a little café called The Pepper Pot or something like that on Trinity street, where Keoghs is now or thereabouts? This would have been maybe 25 years ago...I have vague memories of hanging out there as a teenager...

The Coffee Inn on South Anne St?

The slowest,rudest service anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

chopper6 wrote: »
    The Coffee Inn on South Anne St?

The slowest,rudest service anywhere.

Doesn't sound familiar..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We were paupers back in the day.

Remember going to Woolworths Cafe for my Communion and getting sausages and chips and squeezing vinegar all over my white communion dress. Then around to Hector Greys for to spend my Communion Money on lots of crap. Then up to Thomas Street to a Jeweller to buy my first digital watch.

We used to go to a cafe as opposite the Liberty Market entrance, it was a chipper type place - my Mum used to call it Nanny Ray's but I dont think that was the name of it. I hated going there because I did not like the people there as a child - I think some homeless people used to come in for their cuppa tea and I was afraid of them.

Also King Burger in O'Connelll street, there was some deal if you got a burger meal you got a glass to take home with some cartoon on it, always wanted one of them, but we could never afford the full meal, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This thread only got me thinking, anyone know what it was like when the 1st McDonalds or Burger King opened in Ireland?
    All I can find is the 1st McDonalds was Grafton Street in 77 but Ive no idea if there was any hype or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

mikedublin wrote:
    Anyone got any favourite restaurants they remember from the past, that are gone now ?
    Yes Wendys SUPERBAR!!!!!!!!

I loved it...... I got spaghetti,etc...... I MI$$ THE GOOD DAYS!!

icon9.gif

anewme wrote: »

Also King Burger in O'Connelll street, there was some deal if you got a burger meal you got a glass to take home with some cartoon on it, always wanted one of them, but we could never afford the full meal, lol

Pretty sure that was Burger Land on O'connel st...the ad was all over the telly...never got one of the glasses either :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This thread only got me thinking, anyone know what it was like when the 1st McDonalds or Burger King opened in Ireland?
    All I can find is the 1st McDonalds was Grafton Street in 77 but Ive no idea if there was any hype or anything

My mother went in with her pal and asked where the cutlery was - the response 'Fingers, dear, fingers!'. She wasn't impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Paddy Mizoguchi's Baggott Street. Must be 25 years ago at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyone remember New York New York, beside the Ilac centre on Henry Street? Another fast food burger joint.

Also, is my memory playing tricks on me or was there a 'Ritz' café on Middle Abbey Street, might have been down near the Adelphi but on the opposite side?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another one I've just remembered was 'Murph's' on Baggot Street - early 80s.

Mr Burger..a bland burger chain that stayed open late.

There were two on O'Connell st and one on grafton st near McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

spurious wrote: »
    Another one I've just remembered was 'Murph's' on Baggot Street - early 80s.

Was that on the left heading into town in a basement? I think I ate there 2/3 times in about 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Anyone remember New York New York, beside the Ilac centre on Henry Street? Another fast food burger joint.

Also, is my memory playing tricks on me or was there a 'Ritz' café on Middle Abbey Street, might have been down near the Adelphi but on the opposite side?

Yes to both!
    New York New York had lovely chicken burgery yokey thingies!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

The American Connection where the 101 Talbot is now; used to pool money with college friends on the way home and try to run to coleslaw and chips and a mini ice with caramel sauce each. That would have been the late 70's.

Another place we used to sneak into was called 'Posh Nosh'. Cheap and cheerful; I've a feeling it was somewhere on Abbey Street too.

I remember a restaurant in Cork called Halpins...the first time I ever went away with a boyfriend and trying to be sophisticated we ordered wine...Sauternes... Nobody told us it was a dessert wine and we had it with chicken curry lol. 1980 I'd say.

Also remember a great restaurant in Raheny Village which was probably ahead of its time called Rascailles...amazing food, but there was only a set menu and it worked out expensive 18 pounds!! Seems hilarious now...that was around 1990.

Great memories...happy days.

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Was that on the left heading into town in a basement? I think I ate there 2/3 times in about 83.

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes to both!
    New York New York had lovely chicken burgery yokey thingies!

Yep, I think my brother used to order that a lot. I did at first and then went back to the regular burgers.

Wendy's reminds me - was it the place did the square burgers for a while - on North Earl Street?
    It was mid to late 80s - at the time when the 99p breakfast wars were happening. They were great - a full breakfast for 99p - with tea and toast!
    Those were the days.

spurious wrote: »
    Wendy's reminds me - was it the place did the square burgers for a while - on North Earl Street?
    It was mid to late 80s - at the time when the 99p breakfast wars were happening. They were great - a full breakfast for 99p - with tea and toast!
    Those were the days.

There was one of those 99p breakfast places beside the Screen cinema in D'olier street...i think it was grandly called the Metropole...and absolute dive full of 'sex workers' from the toilets in Burgh Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

chopper6 wrote: »
    There was one of those 99p breakfast places beside the Screen cinema in D'olier street...i think it was grandly called the Metropole...and absolute dive full of 'sex workers' from the toilets in Burgh Quay.
    Tying in some earlier posts, I remember getting 99p breakfasts in 18th Precinct on Suffolk Street, Summer '87 (sure of that as I sold U2 posters outside Croker!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

We loved going to Manhattan/Auntie May's for a fry up and big mug of coffee after a night of dancing in Leggs or Rios.
    Jeez but all of the calories we'd have used up on the dancefloor would 've been well replaced with the plate of food served up on many an early morning.
    The thought of greasy food at 5 am would turn my stomach now.

Funny thing, I have no idea whether it operated as a restaurant during the daytime.

Ah the memories.............

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bot32

there was another restaurant on o connell st down beside the gresham hotel the something bravo we use to get a treat now and again in there threes a place called toddys there now

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I remember coming up to Dublin as a treat to see my aunt and she would bring us to either Gallaghers on a special occasion for a steak(!!) or to the Mayfair Grill on O'Connell Street for burger and chips. The Mayfair was a nice old-fashioned greasy spoon but the waitresses made it - they were all ancient and full of Dublin wit. We loved it.

Old photo of the Mayfair here: http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/gs021-mayfair-grill

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Amazed nobody has mentioned Thunderbirds located upstairs on Grafton Street (midway down street on left as you head towards Trinity).

American Connection was one of most popular places in Dublin in early '80s...great burgers and ice-creams.

There was also a restaurant in a place called The Europa Centre on Sth. Great George's St (opposite entrance to Exchequer Street).

Dublin's only American-style diner...Sherree's (?) on Abbey Street (maybe it's still going today?)

And up to a few years ago, an exceptional Italian called Da Vincenzo's on Leeson Street (The Farm restaurant there now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Razorbrowne58

Anyone know of a restaurant in middle abbey street that served corn burgers,had a pig in its name I think?

Advertisement