Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boundary Extension for City?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will the residents respect new playgrounds, parks etc, one thing I can not understand if Ferrybank is that bad why is there so many Waterford people living there, I know one thing if I was buying a property if conditions were as bad as people make out I wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole as I did when I was going to buy a property in Waterford a couple of years ago Waterford Concill are a disaster well you know it.

Given so large parts are part of Waterford why wouldn't people live there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Given so large parts are part of Waterford why wouldn't people live there?
    Why give me an answer like that when I didn't ask that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

dzilla wrote: »
    Waterford means nothing to Fine Gael, their absolute contempt for the city and county during the bad times resulting in a Fine Fail chocolate teapot roaring back back in during the last elections proved that. If anything you'd think they would be trying to get their second seat back, but we are very much on the periphery of their viewpoint.

Get out the violins! Exactly you are small fry. It's a lefty obscure 4 seater that generally votes on Marxist protest lines (See Cullenane and Halligan) along with a token rural FF and FG seat each.
    1200 FG members Carlow/Kilkenny vs 200 in Waterford. Parties of government drive policy and decisions obviously, not the divisive bitter likes of Mary Roche and her ilk.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

road_high wrote:
    Get out the violins! Exactly you are small fry. It's a lefty obscure 4 seater that generally votes on Marxist protest lines (See Cullenane and Halligan) along with a token rural FF and FG seat each. 1200 FG members Carlow/Kilkenny vs 200 in Waterford. Parties of government drive policy and decisions obviously, not the divisive bitter likes of Mary Roche and her ilk.

Your brethren in kilkenny town had no problem electing a sinn fein td last year or did she just get all her votes in carlow! Bobby for Taoiseach you will be telling us next

Your brethren in kilkenny town had no problem electing a sinn fein td last year or did she just get all her votes in carlow! Bobby for Taoiseach you will be telling us next

Kilkenny town gotta love the predictable bitterness pouring out- let it flow Hun!
    Actually yea the shinner did get most of her votes on Carlow now that you say it- there's a very similar demographic to Waterford- full of undereducated, work shy and rage against the system welfare junky types...just like the Halligan and Cullenane voter base. But thankfully she's only one joke out of 5...not 2 out of 4 ;)
    No opinion on Bobby as I don't vote for him but the man has a damn sight more integrity and respectability about vs any SF or PPP associated loons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

lol. You mention a Fianna Fail politician and integrity and pitifully I actualky think you believe it too. Pathetic.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I must say, the ignore feature on boards.ie is dead handy....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So politics yet again trumps common sense. This is a very retrograde step. This country is very depressing at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So politics yet again trumps common sense. This is a very retrograde step. This country is very depressing at times.

True...gaa colours and the election of fg next leader trumps common sense for all concerned.
    One thing I want to remind people, is Mary butler's disgraceful treason during this process... I want to see her gone/decimated at next election, there will be ff competition.even if you're a rabid ff voter ,a vote for Mary butler is just unthinkable.was willing to give Mary butler chance at start because she probably needed some time to get her TD bearings etc and generally first time TDs keep relatively low profiles but blatant going against potential positives for your constituency is political suicide and makes voting for her impossible.note, I'm not anti ff, have voted for them in past and would consider another ff candidate in next election.she should have resigned immediately after her disgraceful action.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

JupiterKid wrote: »

As Irishlad2004 has said, wait and see what happens. It could just be that some solution is arrived at which will allow real cooperation between the two Councils(not forgetting that there is a certain amount of that already). Genuinely, Coveney does seem to be serious about doing something to move away from business as usual. Surely such a solution might keep everyone happy? At the very least, it's worth waiting to hear what he comes up with. Unless, as I've said before, some people on the Waterford side were merely interested in extending the boundary for its own sake and not for the supposed benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As Irishlad2004 has said, wait and see what happens. It could just be that some solution is arrived at which will allow real cooperation between the two Councils(not forgetting that there is a certain amount of that already). Genuinely, Coveney does seem to be serious about doing something to move away from business as usual. Surely such a solution will keep everyone happy? Unless, as I've said before, some people on the Waterford side were merely interested in extending the boundary for its own sake and not for the supposed benefits? Surely that's not possible, is it?

The problem with that is that there are very few who believe promises from politicians ...... with very good cause historically.

All that Coveney has done is promise something undefined for some time in the future.
    More political waffle? Sure sounds like it.

What has he in mind that was not tried previously?
    Was the political will not there previously?
    What has changed so drastically that this 'promise' from Coveney would be expected to succeed whereas previous attempts failed?

As Irishlad2004 has said, wait and see what happens. It could just be that some solution is arrived at which will allow real cooperation between the two Councils(not forgetting that there is a certain amount of that already). Genuinely, Coveney does seem to be serious about doing something to move away from business as usual. Surely such a solution might keep everyone happy? At the very least, it's worth waiting to hear what he comes up with. Unless, as I've said before, some people on the Waterford side were merely interested in extending the boundary for its own sake and not for the supposed benefits?

Real cooperation would be of benefit but not gonna happen is it, he pushed it onto the 2 councils to come together and while they can cooperate on playgrounds and applications for events, big stuff that matters like massive shopping centres that should never been built and proper investment from kk council more than likely won't without legal changes,I don't see legal changes being supported by either coveney or kk council.it would be great to see stuff like kk council /area getting on board proper on various things, including the infrastructure investment for north quays or dare I say it, hospital services for SE, you can see though by comments on here and even public speakers some have distinct preference to see investment go elsewhere rather than support Waterford/SE.

In fairness, I can see why people would be cynical about politicians. And I can see why some on the blue and white side are disappointed. However, I still say wait and see. John Paul Phelan was quoted in the Kilkenny People saying that the possibility of WCC administering the area in question still can't be ruled out. Coveney himself spoke about something being set up on a statutory basis to oversee cooperation so it's quite possible that this is more than just a fig leaf. Whatever it is, I'd say it'll be enough to ensure that nothing major can be done in the area without reference to WCCC, so no more Ferrybank shopping centres.

In fairness, I can see why people would be cynical about politicians. And I can see why some on the blue and white side are disappointed. However, I still say wait and see. John Paul Phelan was quoted in the Kilkenny People saying that the possibility of WCC administering the area in question still can't be ruled out. Coveney himself spoke about something being set up on a statutory basis to oversee cooperation so it's quite possible that this is more than just a fig leaf. Whatever it is, I'd say it'll be enough to ensure that nothing major can be done in the area without reference to WCCC, so no more Ferrybank shopping centres.

What do you mean 'no more' there are already two there both of which have are fully built with full planning permission so if somebody wanted to take a unit like Mr Price has done recently, then WCCC couldn't do anything about it. The likelihood of someone actually going into the main one is slim ok, but I reckon some others may try the smaller centre where Mr Price has taken a chance.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    What do you mean 'no more' there are already two there both of which have are fully built with full planning permission so if somebody wanted to take a unit like Mr Price has done recently, then WCCC couldn't do anything about it. The likelihood of someone actually going into the main one is slim ok, but I reckon some others may try the smaller centre where Mr Price has taken a chance.

I was a little unclear. What I meant was no new unsuitable developments like the shopping centre being permitted again. I would guess that WCCC may be given an effective veto over large scale developments in the Ferrybank area. I realise that may not do anything about the existing shopping centre.

I could see that working if it was solely WCC responsibility.
    If there is some cooperative idea involved then I do not see it working at all.
    There would have to be an 'effective' change in the border, even though officially the border would not be touched.

I could see that working if it was solely WCC responsibility.
    If there is some cooperative idea involved then I do not see it working at all.
    There would have to be an 'effective' change in the border, even though officially the border would not be touched.

I'm completely guessing and I suspect that Coveney has no firm plan yet either. However, I think that something will be announced that will not be control or administration by Waterford but will involve more than mere voluntary cooperation. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

I'm completely guessing and I suspect that Coveney has no firm plan yet either. However, I think that something will be announced that will not be control or administration by Waterford but will involve more than mere voluntary cooperation. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

I think you are very optimistic in coveneys words Squid, personally, think that the whole thing is dead for another number of years and there will be no concrete cooperation on stuff that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's great news for Limerick and the Midwest, in my opinion. If Kilkenny and Waterford and the southeast in general got its act together it could begin to challenge us. This decision sets the southeast back though.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think you are very optimistic in coveneys words Squid, personally, think that the whole thing is dead for another number of years and there will be no concrete cooperation on stuff that matters.
    And you may well be right. We've all seen initiatives sink without a trace in the past. There is a chance that he is effectively proposing to square a circle here(obviously impossible) and that there is nothing that can be done outside of full control for one or the other council.

For the record, I'm sorry to say that I am one of those people in the affected area who's quite glad that the extension hasn't gone ahead:o. However, I have no difficulty with effective cooperation between the two councils and I do accept that there is some logic behind the original extension proposal. I also understand the distrust on the WCCC side. Perhaps I'm wrong but I firmly believe that Coveney will come up with something - I don't think that he can simply forget about it as he has made some very clear statements on the subject. It remains to be seen what that something is or how effective that something will be. There will be no boundary extension but I have no doubt that we will be coming back to this issue in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement

Living within the affected area also, I'd be happy if the area was administered by Waterford also. I can understand how so many felt that their identity was being threatened. I'm still off the opinion thou that only the people in the affected areas should have been asked to vote on it.

Living within the affected area also, I'd be happy if the area was administered by Waterford also. I can understand how so many felt that their identity was being threatened. I'm still off the opinion thou that only the people in the affected areas should have been asked to vote on it.

What would be the deciding factors for those voting, if it happened?

I cannot see county identity being a big one ........ if I live in Kilkenny but was born and raised in Waterford, do you really think I would not consider myself as being from Waterford?
    Would I not have a blue & white flag flying when Waterford are playing a GAA game?
    To me this county 'identity' thing is a 'red herring'.

So if it were me it would be a decision on who would most likely affect my lifestyle in a positive way.

Anyway I wondered about this from your point of view, as a person living in the affected area.

Can you give an insight?

zulutango wrote: »
    It's great news for Limerick and the Midwest, in my opinion. If Kilkenny and Waterford and the southeast in general got its act together it could begin to challenge us. This decision sets the southeast back though.

True..if only we had noonan here, you'd be in trouble alright., best of luck to ye anyway.

What would be the deciding factors for those voting, if it happened?

I cannot see county identity being a big one ........ if I live in Kilkenny but was born and raised in Waterford, do you really think I would not consider myself as being from Waterford?
    Would I not have a blue & white flag flying when Waterford are playing a GAA game?
    To me this county 'identity' thing is a 'red herring'.

So if it were me it would be a decision on who would most likely affect my lifestyle in a positive way.

Anyway I wondered about this from your point of view, as a person living in the affected area.

Can you give an insight?

I was born and bred out on the Cork Road in the heart of Waterford City, I moved over to Rockshire road area of Ferrybank in 1998 and to this day I still class myself as living in Waterford City despite been 50 yards inside the Kilkenny boundary. There are plenty of people around here who consider themselves from kilkenny though mainly because they moved in closer to Waterford from area such as Kilmacow, and Mullinavat. Likewise, there are many people from Waterford who moved over to estates along the Rockshire Rd, Abbey Road and further up by Aldi who are from Waterford City and like me, Id say they still consider themselves living in Waterford.

Its those people from Kilkenny who have an issue with the identity thing as in their heads they still live in co Kilkenny and thats what they want it to remain. I think though the question has to be asked of you is if say you lived in co Waterford all your life and suddenly you were told that you were now living in Co Cork, would you be overly happy with it, I wouldnt. It was my choice to move over here, knowing full well that I was moving into co Kilkenny.

I was born and bred out on the Cork Road in the heart of Waterford City, I moved over to Rockshire road area of Ferrybank in 1998 and to this day I still class myself as living in Waterford City despite been 50 yards inside the Kilkenny boundary. There are plenty of people around here who consider themselves from kilkenny though mainly because they moved in closer to Waterford from area such as Kilmacow, and Mullinavat. Likewise, there are many people from Waterford who moved over to estates along the Rockshire Rd, Abbey Road and further up by Aldi who are from Waterford City and like me, Id say they still consider themselves living in Waterford.

Its those people from Kilkenny who have an issue with the identity thing as in their heads they still live in co Kilkenny and thats what they want it to remain. I think though the question has to be asked of you is if say you lived in co Waterford all your life and suddenly you were told that you were now living in Co Cork, would you be overly happy with it, I wouldnt. It was my choice to move over here, knowing full well that I was moving into co Kilkenny.

That's the key thing. I acknowledge that "identity" cannot be the sole deciding factor but it has annoyed me the way that this is derided by some(though not all). Some of the Kilkenny rhetoric about the extension was unfortunate - there's no need to make comparisons to Hitler etc. However, I've said here before that identity is important - one of the first things that Irish strangers ask each other is "where are you from" and it would just seem strange if I could no longer say, Co. Kilkenny. I get Johnboy's point. However, I think that only applies if you move county. If where you live and grew up is no longer part of your county, then you're not really part of that county any more.

For my part, I'm from a more rural part of the area. Most of my neighbours have lived here for a long time and regard themselves as being from Co. Kilkenny. I'd say that the housing estates would vote fairly solidly to transfer to Waterford if they were asked.

Personally,I did not want the change. However, despite the possibility of it being a wrench for me, if it came to a vote, I just might consider not voting against it if I believed that it would bring real benefits. I cannot argue with the logic behind the change on paper. I just don't believe that it would make any real difference in reality.

zulutango wrote: »

If a boundary change elsewhere in the country is all you have to worry about as regards your own region well then...

No new land was being created, nothing new was being created- the south east region is still there with all it's strengths and weaknesses- changing a boundary doesn't improve anything one iota - such a shame though Waterford had to go further and antagonize and pour petrol on any goodwill they would have had in Kilkenny, south Kilkenny especially. Once again they've driven a wedge into the south east with this divisive, insensitive insulting folly of theirs. But of course it'll be blame everyone else but themselves time.

road_high wrote: »
    If a boundary change elsewhere in the country is all you have to worry about as regards your own region well then...

No new land was being created, nothing new was being created- the south east region is still there with all it's strengths and weaknesses- changing a boundary doesn't improve anything one iota - such a shame though Waterford had to go further and antagonize and pour petrol on any goodwill they would have had in Kilkenny, south Kilkenny especially. Once again they've driven a wedge into the south east with this divisive, insensitive insulting folly of theirs. But of course it'll be blame everyone else but themselves time.

Still looking for reaction I see.

You really must be a very sensitive and easily insulted individual!

:D:D

On a similar note, I recall when the city boundary was moved some decades past, a man who was a 'regular' in a pub I frequented, was suddenly now a 'townie' and not living in the county anymore.
    He got an amount of good-natured ribbing about it, but he was still a county Waterford man 'til his death. :D

Regarding your question ..... If I was living in very close proximity to Cork city and most of my life centred around that city, then I would see the logic of having my area administered and developed by the same entity as Cork city.
    I could see it being a bit more contentious if the logic for the change was not so apparent.
    That's the key thing. I acknowledge that "identity" cannot be the sole deciding factor but it has annoyed me the way that this is derided by some(though not all). Some of the Kilkenny rhetoric about the extension was unfortunate - there's no need to make comparisons to Hitler etc. However, I've said here before that identity is important - one of the first things that Irish strangers ask each other is "where are you from" and it would just seem strange if I could no longer say, Co. Kilkenny. I get Johnboy's point. However, I think that only applies if you move county. If where you live and grew up is no longer part of your county, then you're not really part of that county any more.

For my part, I'm from a more rural part of the area. Most of my neighbours have lived here for a long time and regard themselves as being from Co. Kilkenny. I'd say that the housing estates would vote fairly solidly to transfer to Waterford if they were asked.

Personally,I did not want the change. However, despite the possibility of it being a wrench for me, if it came to a vote, I just might consider not voting against it if I believed that it would bring real benefits. I cannot argue with the logic behind the change on paper. I just don't believe that it would make any real difference in reality.

I guess that is the crux of it for you.

Of course if a vote was to take place then there might be sufficient information available from official sources which would help a resident make an informed decision.
    It is indeed unfortunate that some (mostly not resident in the affected area I understand) have to resort to ridiculous speech and posts which do nothing but show them for what they really are.

I really hope your 'faith' in Coveney is well placed.
    Given the history of political promises etc I don't hold much hope for it.

On a similar note, I recall when the city boundary was moved some decades past, a man who was a 'regular' in a pub I frequented, was suddenly now a 'townie' and not living in the county anymore.
    He got an amount of good-natured ribbing about it, but he was still a county Waterford man 'til his death. :D

Regarding your question ..... If I was living in very close proximity to Cork city and most of my life centred around that city, then I would see the logic of having my area administered and developed by the same entity as Cork city.
    I could see it being a bit more contentious if the logic for the change was not so apparent.

I guess that is the crux of it for you.

Of course if a vote was to take place then there might be sufficient information available from official sources which would help a resident make an informed decision.
    It is indeed unfortunate that some (mostly not resident in the affected area I understand) have to resort to ridiculous speech and posts which do nothing but show them for what they really are.

I really hope your 'faith' in Coveney is well placed.
    Given the history of political promises etc I don't hold much hope for it.

If I did vote for a change, I know that I would certainly need to have a few whiskeys in me as I'd go into the polling booth;).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Like everything in Ireland, it has all to do with politics and political game playing and point scoring. I'm not anti-Coveney but I really don't think he has Waterford's interests in his set of priorities. Waterford needs a calibre of TD who will lobby for the city and its region, who will fight for the city's progress and will promote the city abroad.

Cities and regions in Ireland compete with each other for finite investment. If no-one in Waterford stands up for the city (instead of feathering their own nests and playing petty immature squabbling) then they should lose their seats pronto. Forget about FG, FF and other party allegiances - forget about who your dad and grandad voted for - Waterford needs a calibre of TD with integrity and vision who will stand up and fight for their city, whatever party they may be a member of.

Why don't TDs put aside their party differences and form a task force with local businesspeople, councillors and experts in driving the city and region forward? This approach has worked well for other cities around the world - why not Waterford?

Advertisement