Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Projected sea level rises due to Climate Change

Options
  • 04-04-2017 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know what the generally accepted projected sea-level rises are over the next 50years ? I'd just like to get a ballpark idea of what is currently expected, is it like 0.5m or 5m or something else. I'm thinking specifically about Ireland although I would have assumed it would be the same everywhere, so does anyone know or can suggest a resource or even a map showing projected coastline changes ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

With the new discovery of graphene filtering to take salt out of seawater, I'd expect deserts will be turned into lakes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

With the new discovery of graphene filtering to take salt out of seawater, I'd expect deserts will be turned into lakes instead.

or since 'clean coal' will be in use soon, maybe we ll be all living under the sea in the near future. always wanted to be a mermaid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Usjes wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the generally accepted projected sea-level rises are over the next 50years ? I'd just like to get a ballpark idea of what is currently expected, is it like 0.5m or 5m or something else. I'm thinking specifically about Ireland although I would have assumed it would be the same everywhere, so does anyone know or can suggest a resource or even a map showing projected coastline changes ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

You can chose whatever fantasy fits your beliefs. Any such projections you see in the media are simply fantasy aided by graphic artists and Global Climate Models(GCM) (climate models are fantasy, none stack up to actual measured data) , you will find plenty of articles in the news media but no so much that explain who actually measures sea levels around Ireland, how they do it, what the margin of error is, and what factors affect the measurements, don't forget land rises and falls as well and human error is also a factor. See Sea-Level Database for Ireland.

The baseline mark was made on April 8th, 1837, when a team of surveyors recorded the low water mark of the spring tide at Poolbeg Lighthouse in Dublin Bay. And for more than 100 years, all the spot heights on Irish ordnance survey maps were calculated relative to that mark, known to the cognoscenti as Ordnance Datum (or OD) Poolbeg.

But, a single record is not a very accurate measurement of sea level. So, in 1959, OD Poolbeg was replaced by a new datum, based on 10 years' measurements of average sea level at Malin Head in Co Donegal.

The difference between the two systems is 2.7m, and explains why heights on older Irish maps seem higher than today.

Source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

what id like to know is the sea levels at different stations in ireland say 1970 - 2010 r something like that so we could see (sea) whats happening year on year. Is it in those links above or am i too lazy or both?

e.g Say Malin Head

Sea Level

1970 1.00
    1971 1.01
    1980 1.12
    1990 1.25
    2000 1.4
    2010 1.6

There something like that where 1 is base. I dunno ...

Advertisement