Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boundary Extension for City?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Pathetic...all common sense said this should be done....Pathetic from coveney and politics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Politician in cowards way out shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I thought this Fine Gael Government did not go against Independant advice like for example the 2nd Cath Lab. Its a pity Harris wasnt more like Coveney or Coveney more like Harris! Only when it suits them by the looks of it.

Coveney couldnt give a bollox about Waterford or Kilkenny. He just needed to appease the local KK Fine Gaelers and buy votes for his leadership bid. He has the Waterford FGs in his pocket promising us he will drive on development of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭gw80

He said, he expects Waterford city to expand into the area and that Kilkenny and Waterford councils to come up with new and imaginative ideas on how to do that,
    How is that supposed to work, if there is any driving development being done it is mostly going to be from Waterford, but why would Waterford drive development for Kilkenny to take rates,
    And why would Kilkenny drive development in the south of its county when they are more concerned with developing the city,
    So if someone wants to set up business in south Kilkenny they will have to deal with two councils? Why would you bother.
    This will stifle development in the area if anything,

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Coveney is going to live on Claire Byrne Live shortly, what are the odds on him using the Waterford studios for his interview, the irony, hours after shafting Waterford, he then crosses over the bridge to use RTE's studios here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Coveney is going to live on Claire Byrne Live shortly, what are the odds on him using the Waterford studios for his interview, the irony, hours after shafting Waterford, he then crosses over the bridge to use RTE's studios here.

"Shafted" Christ get a bloody grip...poor babies didn't get what they wanted eh? Always the victims...oh and no doubt those RTÉ studios "over the bridge" have been paid for by the exchequer (from which Waterford is a net recipient), they're not for the sole use of Waterford its politicians and propaganda so where is the irony?

Max Powers wrote: »

Cheers, must drop him a line to congratulate him on this decision to drop this mad cap "proposal" to the dustbin where it belongs. Thanks for putting up the email addresses, very useful 👌

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I thought this Fine Gael Government did not go against Independant advice like for example the 2nd Cath Lab. Its a pity Harris wasnt more like Coveney or Coveney more like Harris! Only when it suits them by the looks of it.

Coveney couldnt give a bollox about Waterford or Kilkenny. He just needed to appease the local KK Fine Gaelers and buy votes for his leadership bid. He has the Waterford FGs in his pocket promising us he will drive on development of the city.

From a political standpoint it makes sense...Waterford is far left bordering Marxist in its politics (evident here daily). For FG to sacrifice a sure seat in Carlow Kilkenny to appease that element made no sense for them whatsoever.

• Advertisement

When FG realised that they would lose votes over this they backed away from it, I live inside the Kilkenny boundary albeit 50 yards inside, and I am one of the 5000 people who this would have impacted on, unlike those from Waterford or Kilkenny. Kilkenny co council don't give a toss about Ferrybank and never have, maybe now they might start but i wont be holding my breath. The proposed works on the N Quays will certainly soften the blow for Waterford as 100% of the rates from this development will benefit Waterford whereas that shopping centre up the road will continue to remain empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Aquos76 wrote: »
    When FG realised that they would lose votes over this they backed away from it, I live inside the Kilkenny boundary albeit 50 yards inside, and I am one of the 5000 people who this would have impacted on, unlike those from Waterford or Kilkenny. Kilkenny co council don't give a toss about Ferrybank and never have, maybe now they might start but i wont be holding my breath. The proposed works on the N Quays will certainly soften the blow for Waterford as 100% of the rates from this development will benefit Waterford whereas that shopping centre up the road will continue to remain empty.

Here is someone who makes sense. The likes of myself who is a Waterford man but on the far side of the county and the like of road high who is obviously a Kilkenny man, but not from the affected areas shouldn't really have a say in this. The people living in the area that would be affected by this boundary change should have being given a vote. Keep the boundary as it is or change to the boundary recomended in the report. Only fair way to solve this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Dont forget to run out and vote FG again next time lads. Paudie and John are entitleled to a job. And they're great for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

gw80 wrote: »
    He said, he expects Waterford city to expand into the area and that Kilkenny and Waterford councils to come up with new and imaginative ideas on how to do that,
    How is that supposed to work, if there is any driving development being done it is mostly going to be from Waterford, but why would Waterford drive development for Kilkenny to take rates,
    And why would Kilkenny drive development in the south of its county when they are more concerned with developing the city,
    So if someone wants to set up business in south Kilkenny they will have to deal with two councils? Why would you bother.
    This will stifle development in the area if anything,

Just look at Waterfords Original Submission to the Boundary Commission on this matter, there's various structures already set up for both councils to work and collaborate together to better the area which they argued weren't working.

The boundary commission examined this and from what I read they sided with Waterford City and County Council, hence it beggars believe that Coveney is returning us to the status quo that doesn't work and has been acknowledged as not working for the betterment of the area.

Mr Coveney came down am met with South KK residents to announce his decision, I wonder did he meet with the respective councils in advance to hear their points of view, rather than the wall of GAA drivel on which his decision was based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Sosurface wrote: »
    Dont forget to run out and vote FG again next time lads. Paudie and John are entitleled to a job. And they're great for Waterford.

To be fair, Paudie was not voted back in and the invisible man in Dungarvan was touch and go for the final seat iirc.

dzilla wrote: »
    To be fair, Paudie was not voted back in and the invisible man in Dungarvan was touch and go for the final seat iirc.
    Plenty of clowns on here still singing Paudies name like he'd be some great saviour of Waterford though. Important to stamp in the memory exactly what Waterford means to Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

I dont think this is then end of this, kicking a can down the road if anything

Plenty of clowns on here still singing Paudies name like he'd be some great saviour of Waterford though. Important to stamp in the memory exactly what Waterford means to Fine Gael.

Paudie was a junior minister in the last government, he's also well in with Enda, the likelihood is he would have at least held that position in this current gov had he have been re-elected.He would have been far more beneficial to Waterford than what Halligan, Deasy, or Butler are at present, that's a certainty. I certainly wasnt Paudie's biggest fan, but he's deserves huge credit if this North Quays development goes ahead.

I'd vote for Coffey again, lot of positives, including that boundary review, pity he wasn't around to help it thru final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Waterford means nothing to Fine Gael, their absolute contempt for the city and county during the bad times resulting in a Fine Fail chocolate teapot roaring back back in during the last elections proved that. If anything you'd think they would be trying to get their second seat back, but we are very much on the periphery of their viewpoint.

• Advertisement

Lol- you wish. Not sure which part of county boundaries are not changing you can't understand- it'll probably take a few decades to sink in.
    This is as close as it got and not very close at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm sure there will be headlines in the Kilkenny People now along the lines of "peace in our time" or some such! :rolleyes:

However anyone who thinks this issue is going away now is having themselves on. The same problems that led to this being considered are still outstanding. Meanwhile, a growing city continues to spill into south Kilkenny, and the population of the Ferrybank area continues to grow strongly.

The only way Kilkenny County Council will hold on to this area is by love-bombing the residents with spending, e.g. parks, playgrounds, nice roads, etc., and also by cooperating with Waterford Council on planning. This means reorganising its structure to reflect Ferrybank's status as the second-largest urban area in Co Kilkenny, planning the area in an integrated way with the Waterford Metropolitan District, and putting an end to the continued efforts to undermine the city with aggressive planning decisions such as the Ferrybank shopping centre.

If they continue doing what they've always done, which is being a thorn in the side of the city while neglecting the residents, this issue will not go away, and the report which has been rejected on this occasion will be implemented as soon as the political weather is fairer.

To be frank, I don't hold out much hope that things will change from the way they've been all along. Since this is one of these things that is going to happen sooner or later, I fear we'll be back rehashing the same arguments in ten years' time, when a change is already long overdue.

I would think the best approach though would be a plebiscite of residents in the area. Has this even been put forward, or is it seen as being biased towards Waterford?

road_high wrote: »

Lol- you wish. Not sure which part of county boundaries are not changing you can't understand- it'll probably take a few decades to sink in.
    This is as close as it got and not very close at all really.
    Covney - "There is a responsibility on me now to ensure we have an appropriate statutory management structure to allow Waterford City to grow into the South Kilkenny area. Whereas I don’t intend to implement the recommendation to move the county boundaries, I do intend to ensure that new management solutions are in place to facilitate the cohesive expansion of Waterford City, which will include areas of South Kilkenny. There is an onus on both Waterford and Kilkenny Councils to be open to imaginative and new local government solutions in this regard. I will work with the Chief Executives of both authorities and councillors to that end over the coming months".
    Lets see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I think that the extension is dead for a long time to come. Fianna Fail came out against it and now Fine Gael have knocked it on the head. There will be no appetite to resurrect such a contentious issue again for many years. Indeed, it is entirely possible that some in Waterford CCC are quietly relieved. Any extension would have incurred a fine bill for WCCC and I suspect that some in the West of the county will have been a little lukewarm at the prospect of a boundary extension.

I don't think that there needs to be too much gloom on the Waterford side. As I've said before, I can see how, potentially, the overall area(i.e. Waterford and Ferrybank) could be better planned with one authority. However, that is potential only. Development in Ireland tends to end up being developer led as opposed to Council led. I suspect that there will not be a huge degree of difference to the area whether it is run from Kilkenny or Waterford.

Now, I can almost hear some of you shouting about Ferrybank shopping centre. Some think that this was a deliberate ploy by KKCC to torpedo Waterford and took it as proof that KKCC could not be trusted to administer the area. While I disagree with that, I do accept that it was a misguided development. However, it is worth considering the small print of Simon Coveney's words. He is proposing having some independent method to force cooperation between the two Councils, possibly on a statutory basis(as set out very clearly by Irishlad2004 above). Something like that could mean that WCC could veto proposals that it considers detrimental to Waterford, for example. My reading is that the boundaries will not change, but it may not be quite business as usual either.

Coveney seems to be serious about more development on the Ferrybank side. The important thing is to ensure that resources are put in place to support this, such as a second bridge between Ferrybank and Waterford. More resources plus a structure to facilitate cooperation could really drive development in the future in and around Ferrybank. And that's what you all want, isn't it? Or is it that some of you only want development in Ferrybank if it's part of Waterford?

Max Powers wrote: »
    I'd vote for Coffey again, lot of positives, including that boundary review, pity he wasn't around to help it thru final stage.
    From the intense love that dare not speak its name you show for him on every possible occassion, I'm not entirely convinced you're not Paudie. Max Powers is exactly the type of moniker that muttonhead would give himself.
    I'll say one thing for him- he must know some **** about some people- from ESB to TD to Senator. A very well paid life all on the taxpayers back and after coming from a relative nobody......

I think that the extension is dead for a long time to come. Fianna Fail came out against it and now Fine Gael have knocked it on the head. There will be no appetite to resurrect such a contentious issue again for many years. Indeed, it is entirely possible that some in Waterford CCC are quietly relieved. Any extension would have incurred a fine bill for WCCC and I suspect that some in the West of the county will have been a little lukewarm at the prospect of a boundary extension.

I don't think that there needs to be too much gloom on the Waterford side. As I've said before, I can see how, potentially, the overall area(i.e. Waterford and Ferrybank) could be better planned with one authority. However, that is potential only. Development in Ireland tends to end up being developer led as opposed to Council led. I suspect that there will not be a huge degree of difference to the area whether it is run from Kilkenny or Waterford.

Now, I can almost hear some of you shouting about Ferrybank shopping centre. Some think that this was a deliberate ploy by KKCC to torpedo Waterford and took it as proof that KKCC could not be trusted to administer the area. While I disagree with that, I do accept that it was a misguided development. However, it is worth considering the small print of Simon Coveney's words. He is proposing having some independent method to force cooperation between the two Councils, possibly on a statutory basis(as set out very clearly by Irishlad2004 above). Something like that could mean that WCC could veto proposals that it considers detrimental to Waterford, for example. My reading is that the boundaries will not change, but it may not be quite business as usual either.

Coveney seems to be serious about more development on the Ferrybank side. The important thing is to ensure that resources are put in place to support this, such as a second bridge between Ferrybank and Waterford. More resources plus a structure to facilitate cooperation could really drive development in the future in and around Ferrybank. And that's what you all want, isn't it? Or is it that some of you only want development in Ferrybank if it's part of Waterford?

Course it's dead. It couldn't be clearer really. The boundary ain't changing- the policy going forward is to work with existing ones. Only a very slow learner will try revisit the issue again and waste vast sums of cash payers money on attempted political strokes. Now we all know Paudie is not the sharpest tool in the box but no doubt even he and his fanatics will eventually have to accept reality.

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be headlines in the Kilkenny People now along the lines of "peace in our time" or some such! :rolleyes:

However anyone who thinks this issue is going away now is having themselves on. The same problems that led to this being considered are still outstanding. Meanwhile, a growing city continues to spill into south Kilkenny, and the population of the Ferrybank area continues to grow strongly.

The only way Kilkenny County Council will hold on to this area is by love-bombing the residents with spending, e.g. parks, playgrounds, nice roads, etc., and also by cooperating with Waterford Council on planning. This means reorganising its structure to reflect Ferrybank's status as the second-largest urban area in Co Kilkenny, planning the area in an integrated way with the Waterford Metropolitan District, and putting an end to the continued efforts to undermine the city with aggressive planning decisions such as the Ferrybank shopping centre.

If they continue doing what they've always done, which is being a thorn in the side of the city while neglecting the residents, this issue will not go away, and the report which has been rejected on this occasion will be implemented as soon as the political weather is fairer.

To be frank, I don't hold out much hope that things will change from the way they've been all along. Since this is one of these things that is going to happen sooner or later, I fear we'll be back rehashing the same arguments in ten years' time, when a change is already long overdue.

I would think the best approach though would be a plebiscite of residents in the area. Has this even been put forward, or is it seen as being biased towards Waterford?

Interesting how a plebiscite seems to be the latest desperate card you lot seem to be playing. Wasn't a mention of it until this Coffey "report" hit the shredder.
    Mainly along the lines of these are "our Waterford people"- which is the real nub of the issue, dressed up as dreams of better services etc...well they moved to Kilkenny of their own free will I suggest they deal with it.

From the intense love that dare not speak its name you show for him on every possible occassion, I'm not entirely convinced you're not Paudie. Max Powers is exactly the type of moniker that muttonhead would give himself.
    I'll say one thing for him- he must know some **** about some people- from ESB to TD to Senator. A very well paid life all on the taxpayers back and after coming from a relative nobody......

I can confirm, I'm not p Coffey...I think its important to give people even TD's when they get jobs or investment into Waterford/SE and/or make conditions for more investment/jobs more likely.
    I can see where you are coming from though because I find it hard to credit sometimes that the idiocy, short sightedness , negativity, small minded, blaming everyone but offering no credible alternatives or positives and even racist/stereotypical comments from sosurface are actually coming from multiple people...

Back on topic...I think some form of Waterford city council veto (someone else mentioned )or proper control to ensure likes of the empty shopping centre doesn't happen again, best outcome from this current terrible decision.

road_high wrote: »

Now, I can almost hear some of you shouting about Ferrybank shopping centre. Some think that this was a deliberate ploy by KKCC to torpedo Waterford and took it as proof that KKCC could not be trusted to administer the area. While I disagree with that, I do accept that it was a misguided development. However, it is worth considering the small print of Simon Coveney's words. He is proposing having some independent method to force cooperation between the two Councils, possibly on a statutory basis(as set out very clearly by Irishlad2004 above).  Something like that could mean that WCC could veto proposals that it considers detrimental to Waterford, for example. My reading is that the boundaries will not change, but it may not be quite business as usual either.

Course it's dead. It couldn't be clearer really. The boundary ain't changing- the policy going forward is to work with existing ones. Only a very slow learner will try revisit the issue again and waste vast sums of cash payers money on attempted political strokes. Now we all know Paudie is not the sharpest tool in the box but no doubt even he and his fanatics will eventually have to accept reality.
    Again, lets see what happens.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankCummins

fricatus wrote: »

Will the residents respect new playgrounds, parks etc, one thing I can not understand if Ferrybank is that bad why is there so many Waterford people living there, I know one thing if I was buying a property if conditions were as bad as people make out I wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole as I did when I was going to buy a property in Waterford a couple of years ago Waterford Concill are a disaster well you know it.

Advertisement