Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Westvleteren directly from the monks

• 31-03-2017 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here tried it? Hard to get through on the phone?

Is there a certain day of the week and a certain time I should be trying to call them? How fast do they sell out? Hoping to make a trip over to Belgium in a few months time to buy a few cases

http://docs.sintsixtus.be/bierverkoopactueel.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They sold it in the off-licenses in Ireland for a spell, when the monks were doing some funding. You could by a 'brick' for €50, where a brick consisted of 6 bottles and two branded glasses (if memory serves correctly). Sadly, all of my bottles are gone now. It was a wonderful beer and I thoroughly enjoyed drinking them on special occasions, but you could buy a Rochefort 6, 8 and 10 for about the same price as I paid for each of the bottles, which represents much better value for money. Definitely worth a try, if you haven't before, but I wouldn't travel across Europe to get my hands on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Get your hands on some of the blond - very rarely see that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

My fiancee took me last year as a surprise. She had to ring on a specific day. You could only book one week in advance and she had to give the car registration. She said that there is a page / documents on their website that specifies the days you can call.

She had the trip booked to go to Belgium but couldn't guarantee that we could get the beer from the monastery until the day before we got the ferry.

I'm told that the café across from the brewery will sell you a six pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'm told that the café across from the brewery will sell you a six pack.

Probably best place if your looking for the blond, as it very limited production

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

They sold it in the off-licenses in Ireland for a spell, when the monks were doing some funding. You could by a 'brick' for €50, where a brick consisted of 6 bottles and two branded glasses (if memory serves correctly). Sadly, all of my bottles are gone now. It was a wonderful beer and I thoroughly enjoyed drinking them on special occasions,........

How long ago were they selling the bricks?

I still have 3 or 4 bricks stores away in a dark cool room.. Will they have deteriorated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mikeecho wrote: »
    How long ago were they selling the bricks?

I still have 3 or 4 bricks stores away in a dark cool room.. Will they have deteriorated ?
    From around January 2012. Shouldn't have deteriorated much at all, but not much point in holding on to them for much longer, I'd imagine. Maybe we should all get together and drink 'em all, just in case? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've heard some people age the 12 like whiskey. However, I'd reckon it's the perfect age now so start making excuses to enjoy them.

I did a trappist tasting session with a buddy and while we both liked it, we liked the Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 a bit more.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I still have one from the brick they release a few years ago and also have the ones I got last year. I keep meaning to do a taste test between them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

You can buy them online at beers of Belgium. €11.99 a bottle plus postage.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    You can buy them online at beers of Belgium. €11.99 a bottle plus postage.

Plus the risk of revenue seizing your beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Mod Note: No buying/selling on the forum.

Noted... but If someone wants to share a bottle, pm me

Advertisement