Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toy Spotting / Shopping Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Arquinsiel

I think the problem with the Seekers is that they're basically the same toy, except one has a new hat. Parents see them and just get one of them, and the mould isn't anything special enough that the fans are going to snap them up. Even at 25 euro I was looking at them going "eh, I don't have the space" and bought a 23 euro Warrior instead.

Then there's the usual Smyth's Generations problem of finding a couple of cases of something stashed in the warehouse a year or more after TRU has sold out of that lot and everyone who reaaaaally wanted it here paid over the odds to get it somewhere else because they thought that was the only way they'd ever see it. Same reason we had loads of Whirls and Roadbusters clogging the shelves a while back.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

I can't provide conclusive proof that Leaders don't sell well, but IIRC Hasbro themselves admitted that Leader class toys in the movie line weren't a big seller for them. Althogh i did say movie line. Not Generations.

Magnus,i think that went quickish because they never had that many of them in the first place. Blaster and Optimus, yes they sold out. At a discount if memory serves correctly. Toymaster, skipped Combiner Wars Leaders completely(?)

It might also be bang for buck. Maybe some would rather spend 3x20 on 3 Deluxes than 60 on one Leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

theyre deffo a big ask for a "casual" shopper.

i LOVE my leader sixshot and mags but i can see a Da/Ma looking at them in store and thinking theyre not worth the original price point.

hell like i was saying i always wanted skywarp but even at €25 i cant be arsed when ive already got jetfire ,who looks a hell of alot better in the mold than the seekers. he and thundercracker just look wrong at that size to me.

im pretty sure theres still a few blasters out there, tallaght had him IIRC . they seem to have poped up when the extra alpha trions/sentinel primes showed up.

but leader prime is long gone from what ive seen.

theyre deffo a big ask for a "casual" shopper.

i LOVE my leader sixshot and mags but i can see a Da/Ma looking at them in store and thinking theyre not worth the original price point.

hell like i was saying i always wanted skywarp but even at €25 i cant be arsed when ive already got jetfire ,who looks a hell of alot better in the mold than the seekers. he and thundercracker just look wrong at that size to me.

im pretty sure theres still a few blasters out there, tallaght had him IIRC . they seem to have poped up when the extra alpha trions/sentinel primes showed up.

but leader prime is long gone from what ive seen.

I'm possibly contradicting myself, but after resisting Leader Class toys in Generations for years, maybe Hasbro have come to the conclusion they're doing fairly well. As opposed to Leader Class movie toys

That said... TR Soundwave is a much more cheaply made toy than toy than say ROTF Leader Optimus.

As for Seekers.. Probably time for a new G1ish Generations Seeker mold.

theres a certain logic to it when ya think about it.

the main appeal of the movie stuff IMO is kids that liked the movie and want the toys. A ma and da looking to keep a little tyke quite might drop the lids for a voyager but leader class is pricy as hell for an average parent who's no interest besides placating their child and has bills to pay.

contrast that with us old schoolers who have the whole nostalgia aspect on top of the disposable income and ya have a clientele thatll drop 60 quid on sixshot without blinking.

hell we'll spend hundreds on imports and third party stuff.

Maybe hasbros finally copped that and is readjusting accordingly.

course to contradict myself while ive NO interest in the movie stuff and have only ever bought the odd deluxe from the lines i AM loving that leader megatron. its sweet as hell.

:D

• Advertisement

I have high hopes for the movie. A VW Camper AND a Mark IV in a single range? Can't wait to be disappointed.

theres a certain logic to it when ya think about it.

the main appeal of the movie stuff IMO is kids that liked the movie and want the toys. A ma and da looking to keep a little tyke quite might drop the lids for a voyager but leader class is pricy as hell for an average parent who's no interest besides placating their child and has bills to pay.

contrast that with us old schoolers who have the whole nostalgia aspect on top of the disposable income and ya have a clientele thatll drop 60 quid on sixshot without blinking.

hell we'll spend hundreds on imports and third party stuff.

Maybe hasbros finally copped that and is readjusting accordingly.

course to contradict myself while ive NO interest in the movie stuff and have only ever bought the odd deluxe from the lines i AM loving that leader megatron. its sweet as hell.

5 X Dinobots will get you change from €800?

It's funny, for years a chunk of the fandom scoffed at the idea that older collectors were that important to the brand. Well apparently they (we) are.

And i was one of the scoffers.

There's "important" and "vital". I'm sure the extra 20% or so revenue they get from us is nice, but if we all stop collecting overnight Transformers will still be a successful toy property for Hasbro and they'll just double down on the shampoo bottle figures.

smyths have cut their prices on the deluxes and the voyagers. for life of me i cant remeber the exact price on the voyagers but its down from 31 to about 25 i think. so if ya fancy megs or prime theyve plenty in.

picked up a hotrod today for 18.99 in jervis st. they only seem to have wave 3 left in that scale.

loads of computrons in but its still at the 85 quid mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Arquinsiel wrote: »
    I have high hopes for the movie. A VW Camper AND a Mark IV in a single range? Can't wait to be disappointed.

Still can't fathom you having any hope in the lines.
    Ain't been a solid figure in the line since Stockade!

If nothing else vehicle mode will be good and we can confuse Nick by having a WWI game with Transformers on the table.

I still want to get that Combiner wars game tested out.

Should arrange that some evening.

Blanch has some of Wave 2 on the shelves. If anyone needs a Wolfwire,Chromedome at the reduced price.

just to give you guys a head ups theres something weird going on with amazon.com (the US version of the site)

theyre offering titans return leader class sky shadow for prices alternating between $71 and $49.99.

it seems to be down to them getting stock in on the 11th (tomorrow) and the "Seller" alternating between themselves and another comercial seller they fullfill for.

anyway the reason im highlighting it is if ya get the amazon price of $49.99 even with the postage and import charges that comes to €75 (or less depending on the rate on the day)

thats the equvilent of a price here of €60 with €15 postage charge if ya think about it.

as sky shadow is one i dont think well get on our shelves ala jetfire here it may turn out to be the cheapest way of getting the lad for those of ya that want to add to your "phase sixer" line.

and hey he may even drop in price if you want to take the chance on that.

bear in mind though that six shots been out an age and he's still at the $48.99 price point on em. personally im waiting for trump to do something so it hits the dollar and i can snap him up for €70 or so.

:D:D:D

Computertron down to 50 in symthe.
    Along with a reduction on rid figures

yup.

just back from the one in fonthill. no change on the deluxes reduction (still 18.99) but the voyager titan returns prime is there for €25.5 and the voyager combiner war lads are all €10.

they had onslaught and scattershot but supply is getting low , particularly on that computron. theyve only 3 left . that €50 seems to be the magic number to shift him

theyve a few galvatrons left too but for the life of me i cant remember the price he's going for. i want to say 25 but am not certain. its deffo less than the 31 he was though.

EDIT.

Just checked out smyths website.

MAJOR updates on it . if ya can find them leader prime and blaster are 25.5 but the whole of wave 4 is there and were getting sky shadow and broadside too

:D:D:D:D

59.99 and 31.99 respectively so there goes me using amazon to get the lad ! heaven alone knows when theyll hit the shevles but at least now it looks like they will be.

just another heads up.

looks like smyths PR dept is up to its usual standard. was in jervis yesterday and while voyage prime is 25.5 theyre charging the full whack on computron (85) and the combiner wars lads are still 16.99.

so root around.

im off to tallaght to do some shoping later, ill post an edit to say what theyre doing.

oh by the way toymaster have voyager combiner war lads going for 20. more expensive i know but there the only guys ive seen with cyclonus and hotspot left in stock. rest of the TR stuff is full price point.

EDIT.

Jays but smyths are some laugh. computron is indeed 50 in tallaght and the combiner wars voyagers are a tenner a go, but TR prime and megs are both 31 like theyve been. so it seems to be pot luck at the mo as to where ya go and what your looking for.

Dublin city comics are a new Megatron having.

And man is he Pretty

17903724_1314364395284732_1262680245160933570_n.jpg?oh=d76424e305045599e7f1f1bcd537d653&oe=59975B79

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

Hey - has anyone seen any Leader TR primes about? I'm looking for one for a project.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Dublin city comics are a new Megatron having.

DCC Price: €270
    Kapow Price: €210 ish depending on how you get it posted.

But if the price of a Leader Class toy is burning a hole in person's pocket, it's their money.

• Advertisement

ChopShop wrote: »
    DCC Price: €270
    Kapow Price: €210 ish depending on how you get it posted.

But if the price of a Leader Class toy is burning a hole in person's pocket, it's their money.

Indeed it's not like they force people in there to buy their stuff. But they do have their perks.
    I mean the on line guys never ask me about the kiddie. And they've yet to slap an extra few quid on as import duty. Or make me have to wander out of my way to collect it.

Also Gnaws and rewind out in Hamleys in dundrum.
    And not a bad price on them for Hamleys pricing. I'm sure it's cheaper on kapow. But it lacks the thrill of the hunt.

That toystore in arrnots has a strafe battle set for 8 quid.
    If you like that sort of thing.
    Looking at you Arquinsiel
    And the legion figures are a fiver.

That toystore in arrnots has a strafe battle set for 8 quid.
    If you like that sort of thing.
    Looking at you Arquinsiel
    And the legion figures are a fiver.

picked up that computron set in smyths in tallaght for €50 euro today as its basically 8 quid a figure now.

seen my FIRST "Last Knight" product too.

a prime voice changer mask for €99. not my thing but it means the movie stuff should be hitting soon.

Hamleys has sixshot for €73.
    It also had two Gnaws and a kickback. But not anymore.
    And a few other legion figures. I didn't want.

Tesco had a buttload of Last Knight stuff in today. Everything from the repackaged and new Deluxes to the Tiny Turbo Changer blind baggies. Some of the Prime Cyberverse stuff repainted to be Movie characters too.

ETA: oh and Smyth's in Swords has the TR Prime and Megs down to 25 and change, as well as the downscaled Warriors with Minicon armour packs down to a tenner.

17992152_10211375391593533_7862433256078011254_n.jpg?oh=92af78db7676fb23def706ecf54e4ef3&oe=5982A3F8
    They hit Tesco in cork too.
    As well as the Smyths website.

€30 for a deluxe movie line figure.
    If they are of the same quality as the last two movies. Then I consider it a bad deal.
    Also not digging the amount of AOE repaints they've trotted out already.

Looks like it's saying 26.99 there. The local didn't have the prices up yet. Some of the deluxes are just repaints of AoE ones, but the new Berzerker and Barricade look okay. Not 27 quid okay, but maybe on clearance I'll get one.

Arquinsiel wrote: »
    Not 27 quid okay, but maybe on clearance I'll get one.

Be better than that man. Say no to the Shoddy movie line.

• Advertisement

They look decent TBH, and well worth risking a tenner on at some point.

Advertisement